• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR10 T Load Development to 1000 yards?

BadBowtie03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Palmetto, FLA
Hey guys I have a 20" AR10T that I have been shooting to 600 yards and shorter. That was as far as our range went until now... For the next two weeks they are working on it and punching it out to 800 and something. I want to be able to end up shooting to 1000 yards, so I want to be practicing now with a load that can do that. Me and my friend have only been loading 168 hpbt sierras and I've heard that they have a little trouble getting to 1000 yards, especially out of the 20 incher. Is that true? right now my load is with 43 grains of varget, prvi brass and cci primers. So, I've read that 155's scenars will work good... what do yall think? anyone have a 20" AR10 with some advice to 1000? I would appreciate it. thanks alot!

Oh and im running a Razor HD with an ADM recon S mount...

Re: AR10 T Load Development to 1000 yards?

I'll be watching this. I have a 20" T that I built but haven't fired yet. How has yours been doing at 600?

The 168's will get to 1000, but your load is a bit light for it. When they do arrive they will be sideways and not so accurate. You can still tag a man sized target. We shoot 168 Gold Metal Match from our LTR's at 1000.

175 Sierra Match Kings will work well for what you are doing. 155 Scenars will also work.

Use your preferred method to work up a load that is accurate for your system and choose the most accurate one with the highest safe velocity. Remember to leave yourself a little breathing room for hot days or a hot chamber.

Thanks for the advice.

A guy named "FCS" messaged me and was saying to go to 190 SMK's and that heavier is better than lighter... what do yall think?

Oh and me and my buddy havent shot "paper" yet, but we were tagging a 12" steel triangle every single time at 600 yards. I've got some big silhouettes were gonna shoot at and see the group size... but the gun will shoot MOA at 100 yards... maybe a bit under. I'm still learning and getting better and havent tried a lot of different loads yet... I'm just getting into reloading and trying to stretch my 308's legs a bit. Thanks for the advice guys!

So... go lighter and see what happens with 155's, or jump to 175's or 190's? Or do all 3? thanks

With 190's you will probably not be able to magazine load them.

If you don't care about magazine loading then try some 208gr Amax and RE17.

I don't know how the gas system will like it, but I am going to give it a go later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badbowtie03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice.

A guy named "FCS" messaged me and was saying to go to 190 SMK's and that heavier is better than lighter... what do yall think?

So... go lighter and see what happens with 155's, or jump to 175's or 190's? Or do all 3? thanks </div></div>

Weather to go big or small has more to do with a bullets BC then "just" the weight. The lighter one will have less recoil, and be a little flatter shooting.
Check in the Reloading Section for similar data, and when you do find something your rifle likes make sure you share it with us.
SScott

the guy was saying that the 190's will fit in the armalite mags... i dunno. I'm going to do a little more research... thanks guys

I would love to see those gmm 168's get to 1000 yds super sonic especially out of an ltr. i was pushing them hot out of an f-class rifle with a 30" barrel and they were going trans-sonic at about 950 yds so says the pit crew. a very experienced pit crew at that!
the 168MK was developed for 300 meter comp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62willdo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to see those gmm 168's get to 1000 yds super sonic especially out of an ltr.</div></div>

Who said anything about supersonic?

You do realize that bullets don't drop out of the sky when they go subsonic, right? I am sure you also realize that a 168gr projectile traveling at 900 fps will still kill you.

Or are you assuming that because the 168 goes trans-sonic before 1000 yards that you can't hit a man sized target with it?

There are bullets out there that are a much better choice for 1000 yard shooting, but never for one second think that it can't be done with a 168 SMK. I have been doing it for awhile and better men that me have been doing it for longer.

Why won't he be able to magazine load 190 SMKs?
Armalite AR-10 mag will handle 2.850" OAL with room to spare.

I can load a 208 A-Max to mag length. Doesn't mean it's the best idea.

You can cram a lot of projectile in the case, but you loose powder capacity.

I don't have any experience with the 190, so if you are still getting some nice velocity out of it, when loaded to mag length, please let me know what components and OAL you are using. I would love to work it up and see.

I am running a 1:10 twist, so it favors the heavies. I plan on seeing if I can run the 208 A-Max in mine, but loaded long.

You can roll 175's to mag length w/ sufficient speed to get you beyond 1K. The biggest issue you will have is to keep the pressures down so you don't destroy the rifle. A gas gun is not a bolt gun. 190's are fun to play with but a regular diet of full house loads may create issues in an AR platform. YRMV etc....

Cheers,

Doc

My FNAR with 20" barrel spits out a 175gr Federal Gold Match at 2610ft/sec. With that B.C. and speed it has no problem getting to 1000.

I'm working on load development for my AR-10A4F with a FF barrel. Right now I'm shooting 168 SMK's w/LC brass, Federal Magnum Match primers and 43gr of Varget. I'm getting an avg. 2541 fps and the brass and primers look great. This has proven to be a very accurate load, but I have not shot it past 300 yards. I've got some worked up at 43.5gr, just haven't shot them yet.

I shoot 175SMKs out of my 10T with Reloader 15. It works well.

I like to reload for my ar10t also. Whats the load data everyone has for there really good loads for the ar10? My rifle likes federal and Blackhills ammo the best so far of the factory match ammo I used. I have not done handloads for it yet but I am sitting on a ton of brass and like to see if it will do better.

155 Scenar, 45gr IMR 4895, Win brass, CCI BR2 gets me out to 1100 yards with a 24" T barrel.

I should be able to tell you next week if my stand-by M118LR'ish load works in the Noveske barrel.

It's 43gr of RE15 pushing a 175SMK. It works VERY well in my bolt gun.

Going to work up a 208gr AMAX load, but it's going to be slow going since I really don't want to pound my rifle to hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should be able to tell you next week if my stand-by M118LR'ish load works in the Noveske barrel.

It's 43gr of RE15 pushing a 175SMK. It works VERY well in my bolt gun.

Going to work up a 208gr AMAX load, but it's going to be slow going since I really don't want to pound my rifle to hell.
</div></div>

What barrel length? I have some USGI M118 that I've been reluctant to fire since they're now made of the rare mineral unobtanium. So I tried some Fiocchi 175gr match pills in my SASS but they were nowhere near as accurate as factory LC Match or Federal Match at 168gr. Can't figure if its a barrel length/twist thing, or just a Fiocchi thing as my LRT has a 18 inch barrel. Havent tried the Federal 175 match yet.

What if I want the most deadly bullet also? So I can learn and use it for taget shooting up to 1000, but then also hunt with it down the road... so my dope doesnt change? What do yall recommend? VLD's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badbowtie03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if I want the most deadly bullet also? So I can learn and use it for taget shooting up to 1000, but then also hunt with it down the road... so my dope doesnt change? What do yall recommend? VLD's? </div></div>

I have found A-MAX's to be quite effective on critters as well as paper. They also do some pretty amazing things through windshield glass (albeit my sampling is small in this venue, but rather impressive non the less). Berger states that their boolets are effective on critters also, have not had the opportunity to apply the theory. IMHO and not intending to open THAT can of worms, SMK's are unreliable expansion wise on critters. Accubonds and Interbonds are also ballistic matches for their companies respective target loads.

Cheers,

Doc

I just picked up a box of A-Max 155's and 168's. The 155's will primarily be used for hunting, but I'll do some distance shooting with them too. I'm really interested in how the 168 A-Max compares to the 168 SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With 190's you will probably not be able to magazine load them.

If you don't care about magazine loading then try some 208gr Amax and RE17.

I don't know how the gas system will like it, but I am going to give it a go later. </div></div>

Isn't that a bit heavy? Like you said, though, dunno how the gas system will react...

I was hopeful that 178 AMAX / Lapua or Lake City / FGM 210 / and RL15 might do good, but that's just a WAG. I was afraid to go with a heavier bullet because I didn't have an adjustable gas port.

My experience with AMAXs is restricted to 168s and 178s. I like'm both *way* better than SMKs for the "same" weight (168 and 175) out past 500yd.

What are your loads with the 175 and 168s?? I just bought a near new AR10 and not impressed with the accuracy so far. However I have only used loads from my bolt guns and they seem pretty stout in my AR.

I am only getting around 1.5 to 2" accuracy at 100yds but this is for either 5 shot or 10 shot groups. Thanks guys!!!!

Is your AR 10 barrel a factory one and is it free floating or not? If it is just a standard factory barrel and not free-floated then I would expect 1.5" groups.

As far as loads to use I find that anything that shoots well in a bolt gun shoots well in my AR.

I don't know if you can hurt the gas system in a DI gun. I think if something were to go it would be part of the bolt like the extractor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest issue you will have is to keep the pressures down so you don't destroy the rifle. A gas gun is not a bolt gun.</div></div>Agreed.

Varget is a tad slow for a gas gun, and heaps of slow powders with 155s is asking for trouble. 175SMK's are the way to go. 4895 works well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find that anything that shoots well in a bolt gun shoots well in my AR. I don't know if you can hurt the gas system in a DI gun. I think if something were to go it would be part of the bolt like the extractor.</div></div>Not eveything that shoots well in a bolt gun shoots well in an AR. Blowing primers and ripping the case heads off your brass are very serious issues.

Thanks Guys!! "Not" free floated and a factory stainless steel barrel. Figured it should MOA at least with the factory SS barrel. Any load data with IMR4895 or Varget or RL15 would be appreciated. Thanks again!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Guys!! "Not" free floated and a factory stainless steel barrel. Figured it should MOA at least with the factory SS barrel. Any load data with IMR4895 or Varget or RL15 would be appreciated. Thanks again!! </div></div>

with 168 smk, prvi brass, cci primers, and 43 grains of varget mine will shoot MOA... you got a bipod? sandbags? on a bench or prone?

One guy I met a while back was telling me how important it is to follow through after a shot with a gas gun, and that what you do after you pull the trigger is a lot more important than it is in a bolt gun. I think that idea helped me a good bit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Guys!! "Not" free floated and a factory stainless steel barrel. Figured it should MOA at least with the factory SS barrel. Any load data with IMR4895 or Varget or RL15 would be appreciated. Thanks again!! </div></div>

All of those are great powders for a .308 AR, probably the most popular ones. This page has some good info on it and some loads listed too:

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

Also a thread on this forum:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=323517&gonew=1#UNREAD

Just be sure to start a grain or so lower than whatever they are posting up as it might be too hot for your rifle.

This is a good load for the Armalite AR-10, 20” barrel
Hornady 178gr Amax
Winchester Brass
Federal 210 Primers
51.0gr Hodgon H4350
OAL 2.835
2750 FPS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a good load for the Armalite AR-10, 20” barrel
Hornady 178gr Amax
Winchester Brass
Federal 210 Primers
51.0gr Hodgon H4350
OAL 2.835
2750 FPS </div></div>

OP for your own safety PLEASE WORK YOUR WAY UP TO LOADS LIKE THIS. In fact, do a bunch of your own research before relying on internet postings.

51grs.!!??? That's gotta be a high compressed load.. don't use it. Gotta be a typo.

4350 is too slow burning for use in an AR-10 or M14/M1 system.

The .308win is not a 1000yd ctg even though Palma shooters find their way to do it. If you want 1000yd performance from the AR platform you need a 6mm or 6.5mm bore cartridge.

20" AR10, 17-4 SS barrel.
175SMK, RE15, begin at 42gr and work up to a chrono'd 2,600 fps, better at 2,610 if you can stabilize a nominal +-8 SD.

You'll stay supersonic at 1,000 and if you and the rifle are capable, you'll hit it.

To the OP.

Give the 175 Berger VLD a try, they shoot fairly well loaded to mag length in my AR10 types and other 30 cal gas guns.

20inch DPMS style custom
155g Sierra 2156
45.5g Varget
2700fps
OAL 2.780
Works fine out to 1000yds