• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 5 round mags

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
Looking for some help. Looking for a good 5 round magazine in .223 for an AR15 specifically for hunting with a 5 round limit. I'm really looking for polimer preferably magpul. Midwayusa shows they carry them but are on backorder with no do date. However magpul dosnt list them as an option on their site. Are they discontinued? If anyone has one and wants to sell PM me, and direction as to where to get one wouuld be great or an alternative brand. I'm partial to magpul for hunting because they fit my 77gr well they don't scratch and they don't make noise or rattle.
Thanks

Re: AR15 5 round mags

I have a 5 round bushmaster mag and I would go with a 10 or pinned 20 unless due to law you must stay to 5 or under. The length is really no different if you are using a bipod so that's a non-issue and at least in the matches I shoot, it's 7 per station. 20 or 10 round mags are optimal and the 5 is just annoying.

I just pull the baseplate off of my 10 round mags and add some folded cardboard so that they can't carry more than 5 rounds. Keeps me legal in NY.

I've been using the bushmaster 5 rounders and they work fine. I did replace the crappy springs with CS though.

I use the Bushmaster mag also and it works, though I suspect it's a re-badged C-Products mag.

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone know, I thought I read in regards to magazine limits when hunting that a modified magazine to limit rounds needs to be permanant and can't just simply be blocked on the bottom. Also has anyone seen the magpul 5 rounders just wondering if they exist

recently had the gay bushmaster one split at the spotweld. dont really hunt with the ar a lot tho so may not even replace. i do like 20's for bench shooting and prone from bipod.

From the michigan DNR website: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is unlawful to hunt with a semi-automatic shotgun or semi-automatic rifle that can hold more than six shells in the barrel and magazine combined unless it is a .22 caliber rimfire. Fully automatic firearms are illegal. All shotguns used for migratory game birds (including woodcock) must be plugged so the total capacity of the shotgun does not exceed three shells.</div></div>
It doesn't say anything about making it permament and It seems like if plugging a shotgun to make it legal is ok, it should also be ok to plug your magazine to make it legal. I would guess that as long as you dont have any mags which are not blocked with you, you would be ok.

Here you go:

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=15_69

MidwestPX offers a full lineup of modified Magpul PMAGs in both .223/5.56 (straight mags cut-down from 20rnd mags and curved mags cut down from 30rnd mags) and the newer LR-20 .308/7.62 PMAGs.

They are top notch and are permanently modified to accept a limited number of rounds in 5/10/15 round capacities (I use their 5rnd mags for hunting).

SD state law is OK with temporarily modified mags. As I've been told, if it doesn't say. "Permanantly pluged mags required" or something of that sort, you'd be good to go.

I do the same thing for my WSSM AR. I modify 20's to run the WSSM cartridge, They will hold 7 in a single/double stack hybrid. During hunting season, i just roll up a small piece of cardboard, and stick it between the spring and base plate.

Same principle as sticking a pencil in a shotgun for a plug.
(game warden once tried [and failed] to give me a ticket when he forced a shell into the mag, breaking my pencil, and saying it wasn't a suitable plug.)

If you want the good stuff, get on the waiting list for the REAL 5 round PMAGS, and in the mean time, as long as your state says its ok...plug your 20s. Then you'll have real 20's when your 5rders show up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the 20's and block or pin based on your state's laws.
</div></div>

That's what I do.

If it shoots, drives fast or has hair around it-- I'm into it