• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ar15 barrel quality experience

RRA usually uses cryo treated Wilsons although they have been running another brand(s) as well.
That would be my choice if I'm facing time or money constraints. I suspect they would take it back if it didn't perform.
I have/have had many and they have all been incredibly accurate when handloaded with Vmax or Matchkings.
If time and money aren't top priorities I've always been very happy with Bartlein and Kreiger.

I have a 16” Wilson combat recon 1-9T. With matching headstamp brass and 69gr smk it’s a .5 Moa rifle. With mixed brass and hornady 55 grain soft points it’s MOA. A little over 2 Moa with factory fmj.

Reactions: simonp
Thanks for the explanation msgriff. I assumed that's exactly what they were doing and checked dimensions with the bolt that I'd be using. I took advantage of it for their guarantee of MOA or better with quality factory ammo. After the last go-around with two unacceptable barrels from another manufacturer, I'm ok jumping through this small hoop to make sure it's within spec.

Reactions: msgriff
What kind of crown does that barrel have? Some time in the last few years Wilson started making their own barrels, their new barrels do not have 11* crowns. They have a flat crown with a 45* chamfer at the bore.
It is one of the newer in house barrels.

. . . the chamber can be checked/reamed using that specific bolt . . .

Show us, exactly, where X-Caliber states that they are reaming the chambers of individual barrels to individual bolts for $10.

Last edited:
their guarantee of MOA or better with quality factory ammo.

From X-Caliber . . .

Q: What are the stipulations regarding your 1 MOA guarantee?

A: X-Caliber Barrel & MFG guarantees 1MOA or better accuracy (3 shot group) using match-grade factory ammunition
with the following exceptions: Due to a lack of industry standards, X-Caliber will only guarantee 1 MOA or less on AR barrels with JP Enterprises or Rubber City Armory bolts, headspaced to them by X-Caliber Barrel & Mfg.

anim_rofl2-1959491.gif
Tells me all I need to know about that company.

Molon hereby guarantees 1/2 MOA accuracy with my chrome-lined, NATO chambered AR-15 barrels using Wolf steel-cased, bi-metal jacketed ammunition.

wolf_3_shot_group_at_100_yards_02_resize-2779500.jpg

wolf_bimetal_jacket_section_01-2779504.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
Show us, exactly, in my post where I stated anything about what X-Caliber does for $10.

Sparky carried on about X-Caliber "headspacing" the bolt to the barrel for a fee of $10. Sparky clearly had no idea what X-Caliber actually did to the bolt to "headspace" it to the barrel; he just wants to be able to claim that he has a 1 MOA barrel.

You chimed in with your reply to Sparky about reaming the chamber of the barrel to the individual bolt sent in. So save us your BS and tell us where X-Caliber states that they are reaming the chambers of individual barrels to individual bolts for that $10 "headspacing" fee, or stop pretending that you know what X-Caliber is actually doing for that $10 "headspacing" fee.

Last edited:
Sparky carried on about X-Caliber "headspacing" the bolt to the barrel for a fee of $10. Sparky clearly had no idea what X-Caliber actually did to the bolt to "headspace" it to the barrel; he just wants to be able to claim that he has a 1 MOA barrel.

You chimed in with your reply to Sparky about reaming the chamber of the barrel to the individual bolt sent in. So save us your BS and tell us where X-Caliber states that they are reaming the chambers of individual barrels to individual bolts for that $10 "headspacing" fee, or stop pretending that you know what X-Caliber is actually doing for that $10 "headspacing" fee.

Show us, exactly, in my post where I stated anything about what X-Caliber does for $10.

Reactions: the monk
And it says absolutely nothing about what they do to the bolt to "head space it" to the barrel.

This is all I could find on X-Calibers Faq Page, I was hoping for a better MOA guarantee than Ballistic Advantage.... even 5rd groups would have been better.

Q: What are the stipulations regarding your 1 MOA guarantee?

A: X-Caliber Barrel & MFG guarantees 1MOA or better accuracy (3 shot group) using match-grade factory ammunition, with the following exceptions:

Due to a lack of industry standards, X-Caliber will only guarantee 1 MOA or less on AR barrels with JP Enterprises or Rubber City Armory bolts, headspaced to them by X-Caliber Barrel & Mfg. Any customer bolt submitted to be headspaced with an order must include a $10 check or postal money order to cover the headspacing fee along with a note referencing the order number which it should be headspaced with. Any RCA bolt ordered with a barrel will be headspaced to that barrel for no additional fee.

There is no guarantee of 1 MOA or less on barrels less than 16" in length, barrels with Spaghetti AR Contours, Lightweight AR Contours, or prefit contours #1, #2 or #3.

Q: What brand headspace gauges are approved for headspacing your prefit barrels?

A: Currently we only approve the use of Pacific Tool & Gauge (PT&G), JGS, Lyman and Clymer Headspace Gauges for proper headspacing with our barrels. Other brands can often be slightly outside of our tolerances when measured against the industry standards we adhere to.