• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 BCG Recommendation

WestDesertPRS

Sergeant of Marines
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
I'm looking for recommendations for a solid, no-frills mil-spec BCG. I don't care about fancy coatings, etc. I want the "standard" specs like HPT/MPI, shot-peened bolt, proper staking on the gas key and what not.

And to top it all off I'm hoping to get a suggestion that doesnt cost a fortune, always goes bang and has a good longevity without worrying about lugs shearing off the bolt or other nonsense.

What brands should I be looking at?

Sounds like you are describing a Toolcraft BCG. Although I would Seriously suggest the upgrade to nitride. Smoother, harder, and easier to clean.

Once you get some sort of coated BCG you will never want your typical phosphate BCG again. Have two Cryptic Coatings BCGs and plan to replace my DD AR15 BCG with one as well. Do they cost a lot more, yes, but you can just wipe the carbon off with a rag, no scrubbing required.

Best plain carpenter steel milspec? Noveske makes a solid one. I got some cheap ones from BCM for spares and wound up using 'em and they're holding up fine. As long as they state the properties I wouldn't worry about it. I think barfcom has a list of various BCG's, who makes what and what they're made of.

But ever since I started using the JP FMOS, and I know you wanted milspec shit here but I'm trying to save you some possible future grief, I've had zero problems. While the barrel may be where all the accuracy in an AR comes from, the BCG is certainly where the reliability comes from so I don't skimp on either of those. They no shit will work dirty, dry and with a can.

Yeah it costs more but it's worth it.

A loooooooot easier. The nitride Toolcraft is by far the bang for the buck yet still one of the best carriers out there.

Thanks for the input. Toolcraft looks like the right choice. They seem popular on Barfcom but I'm skeptical of anything from that bunch of yahoos.

I'll look into nitride but I've heard some problems with headspace when using NiB coated BCG. Apparently the coating can be thick enough to make headspace too tight.

These carriers would go into a couple of loaner carbines I have (lower value rifles) so I dont need a $250 carrier in a $600 rifle.

Get a chrome plated Young Manufacturing BCG. I have one in my RECCE build that I shoot 100 suppressed. Don’t use any lube and it runs hard and cleans off with a paper towel

You can get a Toolcraft DLC coated with a 9310 bolt for $113 from armorally. Or $83 for the nitride version.
Exactly, just about one from them, NiB for my 224 build, $114.

We will see how it does out to 1000 yards

Lots of great options and prices here:

Reactions: WestDesertPRS
You can get a Toolcraft DLC coated with a 9310 bolt for $113 from armorally. Or $83 for the nitride version.

So should I look for a bolt that's Carpenter 158 or 9310? Is there a preference?

Anderson bcg's have been as reliable for me as their receivers. Very good for the price. $88 at Primary arms and they have been running a lot of 12% off sales.

Reactions: Sanwizard
I'll look into nitride but I've heard some problems with headspace when using NiB coated BCG. Apparently the coating can be thick enough to make headspace too tight.

You heard some bull shit.

I like my Toolcraft BCGs. Nickel Boron is my favorite but Ion-bond is a close second and Nitride works fine if you are pinching pennies.

I doubt I'll ever intentionally buy a parkerized BCG again if nitride or coated are available for a reasonable premium.

For the absolute best bolts, I like AR15Performance Super Bolts. I want these for anything beside a plain-jane .223/5.56.

For LR308, coated Toolcraft is my go-to. They seem as good as my JP nitrided BCG.

Anderson bcg's have been as reliable for me as their receivers. Very good for the price. $88 at Primary arms and they have been running a lot of 12% off sales.
Anderson or Toolcraft is all I use, except for one Aero. The NIB Toolcraft works well. I have both in AR15 and 308 versions with tons of rounds through each and zero issues.

I used an NIB 308 Toolcraft for my Proof Research build, and all is flawless( Proof specs with JP, but found Toolcraft is fine).

Reactions: TACC
Another vote for Toolcraft. Toolcraft also fulfills contracts for the military. Quality products.

I've run into the headspace issue with the Lantac BCGs. 3 of them purchased several months to years apart all headspaced tight on clean, good quality barrels. Throw a BCM bolt in the carrier & they're good to go.

Reactions: CuTm
JP is always my first choice if I can afford it. If not, I’ve had good luck with Lantac, and even an old Spikes BCG/Bolt. My next upper is gonna be a BCM and I’ve heard nothing but good things about their bolts/BCG’s, so I’ll be giving them a shot.

This thread makes me second guess my latest bcg purchase. I was leaning hard towards a Young Manufacturing lightweight NM but went with a Seekins in the end because they stake the gas key. While researching, I ran across the exo coating in a failzero that looked easy to clean.

Checked out the PSA / Toolcraft NiB BCG and the specs say that the bolt is shot peened and MPI but doesn't mention HPT. Are they actually HPT or does Toolcraft skip that step?

I went to their website and it only states MPI

Edit: I looked at BCM BCGs and some others over at primary arms, they all state MPI. However, non off the ones I looked at had HPT. Does the military not require the high pressure test for bolt carriers?

Last edited:
My advice is always to have a complete BCG with you, if you can, while using your AR. Tuck it into your kit bag and/or tuck a spare bolt into a pistol grip or VFG that has storage.

HPT is bad. It reduces bolt life.

Nitride is a surface conversion. It doesn’t add thickness.

Aermet bolts are best but 9310 or 158 will do in a pinch.

HPT is bad. It reduces bolt life.

Nitride is a surface conversion. It doesn’t add thickness.

Aermet bolts are best but 9310 or 158 will do in a pinch.

Any info on that? I'm asking because if high-pressure testing was bad I would assume that Tier 1 manufacturers like Daniel Defense wouldn't do it on their bolts.

Just buy a toolcraft and be done with it.
They probably make whatever brand you are considering anyway. JP are nice but overpriced. I’d buy 2 toolcraft and have a spare before 1 JP. That being said I do have a jp high pressure bolt in a 6.5 build(toolcraft carrier) However it shoots no different than my toolcraft high pressure bolt charging group.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
So should I look for a bolt that's Carpenter 158 or 9310? Is there a preference?
9310 is approximately 7% stronger than C-158.

FWIW, Right To Bear has Toolcraft 9310 BCGs for $80.

Regardless of what out coating you pick if you use it for severe duty you want chrome lined gas key and bore. nitride will not hold up like hard chrome in high heat areas.

Sionics, Sons of Liberty or Forward control designs. Also, go and subscribe to a youtube channel called instructor chad. He is the founder of Student of the American Rifle school. He does a series of "physicals" on a bunch of popular BCG's. I promise you that you will learn a lot about the QC process that should be done on every BCG before it gets shipped.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaUOYvlDrZh5LWILrVDUM4w

Regardless of what out coating you pick if you use it for severe duty you want chrome lined gas key and bore. nitride will not hold up like hard chrome in high heat areas.

I was not aware that Nitrided BCGs do not have chrome lined gas keys, etc. What did you mean by "bore." Thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking for recommendations for a solid, no-frills mil-spec BCG. I don't care about fancy coatings, etc. I want the "standard" specs like HPT/MPI, shot-peened bolt, proper staking on the gas key and what not.

And to top it all off I'm hoping to get a suggestion that doesnt cost a fortune, always goes bang and has a good longevity without worrying about lugs shearing off the bolt or other nonsense.

What brands should I be looking at?
In no particular order or preference, based on you want (no frills, reliable, good price)

Tool Craft
PSA
BCM
Anderson
Aero

All these will work. Your rifle is no more special or unique than the hundreds of thousands out there that run reliably with these parts. It's an option to contact whoever made your barrel and see what they could recommend as well.

PSA shot peened, high pressure tested, blah blah all the things you want BCG here

Screenshot_20200313-074910_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I use TC. Bought from PSA.
My backups are the ones above.
Bought the PSA ones above when they were on sale for $50......

Will read linked articles later.

Thanks for the info. Always like to learn more.

Bcm groups can take a beating
I have measured the lugs [WIDTH & LENGTH & SPACING] and face depth of BCM BCG's bolts @ +2 decades with the "OTHERS".

THE OTHERS: SPIKES, STAG, JP, Joe Schmuckatelli... YADA

NEVER SAW MORE THAN 0.0005" DIFFERENCE IN WIDTH & LENGTH WITH BCM. [I run the LAB of a company that ALSO measures PIXALS and pixals are BIG]
Stag was a very close 2nd along with JP.
Spike's was fair to midland with a few WTF.

The races of the BCGs also fell into the same consistency. BCM still rules as of my last tests of @ +20 years.
I started using BCM BCGs exclusively for my 458 SOCOMs and 2 legged critter builds @ '03 or so. I do remember
pulling a Colt BCG out of my first Marty ter Weeme 458 SOCOM in '03 and shoved in a BCM bolt.

Best to all.

Death by the Piles to those that live in their mommy's basement.

EDIT:
Mil-spec phosphate is the way to go. Easy cleaning is easy, mil-spec phosphate is the strongest finish by a country mile.
I used to think in the mode of Paper vs 2 or 4 legged critters. Nitride lets you compete with the beauty queens, mil=spec phosphate has never been the reason someone didn't come home or not be able to chose: between the eyes or left/right pupil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike4837
I have run a Young’s on my 3g rifle for thousands of rounds. Still looks new, and I’ve never had any problems whatsoever with it. I will say that I’ve had it a while, before a lot of these others even came out, so I’m sure that these new coatings are pretty sweet, but it’s hard to look elsewhere when something has run so good.

Phosphate is a pain in the ass to clean.

I seem to remember the military having some issues with M16s not running when they got too dirty...

Nitriding is good enough to use as an alternative to chrome lining in a barrel. The bolt carrier has a much easier life than that. The only reason to chrome line it is if you want to put crummy phosphate on the rest of the BCG.

Nickel Boron seems even slicker and easier to clean in my use. It's probably good for high volume shooting too but I've never pushed mine that hard. My mag dump days are behind me.

@WestDesertPRS Hopefully the below info will be useful to you and others. That said it's a long post and I don't want to hijack your thread. I may start a dedicated BCG resource thread and move this post there.

I am running 2 different brands of BCG.
Not saying others suck, it's just what I chose. I'm not listing every spec for these, just the highlights that mattered to me beyond mill spec. Things like HPT/MPI batch testing etc are a given for a quality BCG.
There are a lot of good choices available now.

1. Toolcraft - From ArmorAlly or B. Kings firearms
  • Cost is very reasonable
  • Great selection of bolt head sizes & coatings
  • They use quality grade 8 gas key fasteners and stake them properly
  • They are a large company that will be around for the foreseeable future
  • The 2 I have used both head spaced without issue.
  • The Master AR armorers class I took (School of the American Rifle), said Toolcraft do not have issues with head space or failure. He works hundreds of AR's a year.
  • In the armorers class I gauged my large frame Toolcraft bcg & it was in spec using mil gauges for gas key id, gas key flare, bolt bore id, bolt ring seal id, bolt tail id, firing pin protrusion, & firing pin bore id
I have 2 of these
  • 6.8 SPCII DLC coated. round count is only about 200, been flawless so far.
  • DPMS large frame AR 308 nitrided, double ejector, & small firing pin. I picked Toolcraft for this because they had the small high pressure (6.5C) firing pin, whereas many of the large frame BCG's only use the large pin 308. Round count is about 120. The double ejectors threw brass 30' until I got the gas turned down. They did not have a small firing pin single ejector option when I purchased mine.
2. Sharps Rifle Company XPB BCG purchased directly from Sharps (currently on sale for $169.00 + 15% off)
  • Cost wise, these have a lot of features for the $
  • DLC coating, I think Sharps was the first to offer this on a BCG
  • Beveled bolt lugs. I have no proof, but it seems logical to me that this profile would have no down side & likely to run better/longer under extreme conditions.
  • Bolt, carrier, ejector, & extractor pin are S7 tool steel. These S-7 parts under go a 24 hour thermal cycle heat treat before DLC. FYI...S-7 tool steel is not only stronger, it's an ideal base metal for DLC.
  • Gas key is attached with quality grade 8 fasteners and correctly staked.
  • Bearing surface is increased. See pictures below. The bearing area adjacent to the gas key has been widened.
  • Tail section is slightly enlarged to better center in the buffer tube (less rock)
  • I have head spaced 2 of these 1 x 223 Wylde & 1 x 300 BO both were on the money
  • Gas ring is mil spec and friction is also in spec with the DLC bore. The test for this is to stand the assembled BCG on the bolt face while it is extended and the weight of the carrier should not push it in.
  • I gauged one of these thoroughly. One area is not mil spec. It is the bolt tail hole at the back of the carrier body, it's oversize from mil spec by .002-.003. FWIW - I saw a JP BCG fully guage inspected and it was loose in this same spot. Probably intentional by Sharps & JP considering how precise everything else was, but they do not provide rational. I suspected the only negative is a little more gas leakage out the back, therefor these BCG's are a little less gas efficient. This is not a bearing surface but if a close fit (mil spec), and it carbons up it could cause issues.
  • I've since watched a video review (on Sharps home page) where they describe a little extra gas in their face on short barreled suppressed. The oversize bolt tail hole no doubt. The other interesting side affect was when they took an over gassed 5.56 (launching brass @1-2 o'clock) and then screwed a can on. I figured it would over ride the mag, but instead the brass ejection actually came back around to 2-3 o'clock. Maybe the oversize hole is acting as a pressure release when suppressed.
I have 2 of these running and a 3rd build in the works. I think they are one of the best values in BCG out there right now.
  • Sharps XPB Low mass in a 223 Wylde 16" mid gas non adjustable gas block with VLTOR A5 buffer (Std. weight). I'm right at 1000 rounds in this so far and it has not malfunctioned once. It is a little over gassed, but shoots so well I haven't bothered to put an adjustable block on it. A couple times I've been at the range and someones AR wouldn't cycle well (shitty ammo suspected), so they handed me a mag with there crap steel Tull and some other crappy stuff to try. It's eaten everything tried so far. I recently used it for a 200 round unconventional shooting position combat carbine class. Most of the drills started laying down, on your back, side etc. It was fucking raining cats and dogs and I have an obnoxious 3 port Coda break that was blowing mud and grass everywhere (lesson learned). Gun was filthy, but ran flawless.
  • Sharps XPB std. weight in a 300 BO, 9" barrel, pistol length gas, Maxim CQB brace with JP silent capture heavy buffer, and adjustable GB. I have the gas wide open and probably need to lighten the buffer weight to get in the adjustment range of the GB. It has almost no recoil. So far I only have about 150 rounds through it with Winchester white box 125 grain & reloads with 125 grain SST's.
A few notes on gas keys to be aware of.
  • Many aftermarket BCG's use YFS bolts in the gas key. They are clearly marked YFS on the head. YFS stands for Fang Sheng Screw Co., Ltd (YFS). If you have these they should be pulled out and replaced with US grade 8 allen heads from a reputable source such as "OCKS screws" from forward controls. I have not had any personal experience other then the Armorers class where the instructor had a box full of wrecked BCG's with broken gas key bolts & all were YFS.
  • Proper staking of the gas key fasteners requires a special tool that indents both sides with a blunt point. Even better is to squeeze directly in on the sides like Sharps does. When the gas key bolts are torqued to 58 in lbs they are under tension near their yield point. If staked improperly it bends the already highly tensioned head to one side then the other. I think this is why sometimes the bolt head will remain in place even though it's broken. Or back out with almost no effort because yield strength was exceeded during staking. Only way to catch it is to try reverse torquing 20 in lbs. It should not move and you should do this test to all new BCG's.
DLC = "Diamond Like Carbon" It's considerably harder and slicker then nitride. DLC only adds or builds up avg of 3 microns or .0001 to the surface. It also penetrates the surface of the base metal, so it's ideal for parts requiring close tolerance be held (Head Space).
This coating is just plain bad ass and I'm glad it's gained a strong foot hold in the fire arms industry. I first worked with DLC about 15 years ago in race engines on S-7 tool steel (Hint) wrist pins. This was in NASCAR/Winston cup heyday. Restrictor plate motors were running insane compression ratio's (15.5 - 17 to 1) to compensate for lack of carburation. We were pulling so much crank case vacuum on those engines that tiny oil jets had to be added to spray oil directly at the wrist pins, & still they'd barley complete a race. Hell if RPM's weren't kept up especially through pit row they would detonate & self destruct. Adding DLC coating to the wrist pins changed everything. At the same vacuum and compression levels, DLC allowed us to shrink wrist pin diameter and length to lighten them.

Pictures of Std weight Sharps XPB/DLC BCG
IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

Here is a video by the instructor who's class I took. It illustrates most of the QA/QC checks that should be done to a BCG.
In the class we also checked firing pin run out, pin guage checked the gas key bore, used a fixture to check gas key alignment with the upper gas tube hole, and checked bolt lug clocking with the barrel extension.