• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AR15 Bolt Sticking open....

MWilliams96

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Went to the range this weekend to shoot, relieve some stress by killing paper. While shooting my AR however, every so often, maybe 4-6 rounds the bolt would stay open like it had an empty mag.

This is my first time shooting with the Magpul BAD lever on it, and was wondering if anyone else had this issue after putting the lever on their rifle as well.

I love the convenience of the lever, but if I have to drop the bolt ever 3 seconds its not staying on my rifle.

Is the problem with the lever, or could it be something else?

Re: AR15 Bolt Sticking open....

If it's actually catching on the bolt catch, it's probably the BAD lever. I assume you tried another mag...

If it's just hanging up, it could be something else... Your gas tube alignment, carrier key, buffer issue, etc.

I would bet money that it's hanging on the bolt catch, and that it's because of the lever. If you didn't loc-tite it on, try shooting it without it and see if you have an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MWilliams96</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to the range this weekend to shoot, relieve some stress by killing paper. While shooting my AR however, every so often, maybe 4-6 rounds the bolt would stay open like it had an empty mag.

This is my first time shooting with the Magpul BAD lever on it, and was wondering if anyone else had this issue after putting the lever on their rifle as well.

I love the convenience of the lever, but if I have to drop the bolt ever 3 seconds its not staying on my rifle.

Is the problem with the lever, or could it be something else? </div></div>

It's the lever, at least I suspect it strongly. I've heard of this. It's using up a little more of the energy for cycling. I am going to run an adjustable gas block, so that if my EBR-V2-SC causes this (along with a couple other factors that could contribute, in my case, such as a couple heavier operating system parts), once my project is running, I will just turn up the gas a little. Other possible fixes, are the same measures one would take, if the rifle was slightly under-gassed, I would say.

I don't see how the BAD lever would have anything to do the cycling being under or over powered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: at4rxj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see how the BAD lever would have anything to do the cycling being under or over powered. </div></div>

Because it's additional mass creates a slight increases in "drag" on the system, it saps up a little more of the energy from the gas charge...supposedly..

It's just an externally mounted lever for the bolt catch... there shouldn't be any additional drag created affecting the cycling.

(not my pic)
96_511_popup.jpg

just another thought...the rifle isn't dry is it??? many use clp or some other lube on their rifles. I have found nothing beats grease. I use Amsoil synthetic grease on the bolt carrier. The rifle is as slick as slick can be and runs the same. Never, ever hangs.

Im wondering if maybe the additional weight of the bad lever on the bolt catch is giving it just enough to move under recoil and catch the bolt. That does seem odd unless the gun is recoiling differently than normal,(perhaps due to shooter position, or some other factor)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im wondering if maybe the additional weight of the bad lever on the bolt catch is giving it just enough to move under recoil and catch the bolt. That does seem odd unless the gun is recoiling differently than normal,(perhaps due to shooter position, or some other factor) </div></div>

Possibly... I bet a new bolt catch that was a little "tighter" in the slot it rides in would remedy this. If it runs normal during the test without the lever, then the answer is pretty straightforward in my opinion.

OP, you going to the range today to give us an update?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im wondering if maybe the additional weight of the bad lever on the bolt catch is giving it just enough to move under recoil and catch the bolt. That does seem odd unless the gun is recoiling differently than normal,(perhaps due to shooter position, or some other factor) </div></div>

I've seen this on a number of guns. Very visible under highspeed video.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: at4rxj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's just an externally mounted lever for the bolt catch... there shouldn't be any additional drag created affecting the cycling.

(not my pic)
[url="http://cdn.magpul.com/images/uploads/96_511_popup.jpg"]http://cdn.magpul.com/images/uploads/96_511_popup.jpg[/url] </div></div>

But when the carrier is moving back towards the buffer, is there any contact with the internal linkage, which is connected to the EBR?

cant make it to the range today to test, but hopefully this weekend. The gun wasnt dry, and as far as i know i havent changed anything else.

My only thing is the weight/leverage from the BAD lever is pulling down, which is the release for the bolt catch, not to engage it. I could still see the recoil impulse possibly making the lever jump just enough.

Thats what Im thinking, if the gun is fired from a different position perhaps the problem would show itself, like firing it from a standing position. The difference in recoil pulse may be all it takes to pop up the bolt catch.