• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ar15 build ideas, any info on my ideas?

etrain1993

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm a new guy.
I'm in the process of a couple at builds. I have some questions on calibers.
I know the 223 is pretty much the common choice and that is one the ones I'm building.
I'm thinking about a 7.62x39 upper. I don't know much about it. I was hoping to get some feed back from some people that have one or more, or have messed with them?

I'm also looking to do one in .410 I'm looking for an upper for one of them.

I'd love to hear from some people on pros and cons
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it, if your willing to fix and dig into what makes some work and others not. Google does help. But, straight AR platform = more problematic potentially than the AK/AR plats like the RRA LAR-47 or the New SIG556XI Russian.

Keys:
1. Gas port sized correctly
2. Mags - ACS/Stoner Etc = ADD AK Wolff Springs, Grind out the front portion of the mag where the case contacts… Try to smooth out the speed bumps in the lips that contact the case.
3. Feed Ramps - check for smoothness, file and smooth as needed, also you may need to open the Brl Ext. cuts a bit to aid in easier feeding. Take the time to really look at your components, even if you buy a built upper.

* the rest is trial and error, with Springs and buffer weights.

I had the luxury of having Harrison B. of ARP build mine and it has run flawlessly for years now with corrected mags or stock mags that fed well with reduced loading (3-5 less than max cap.).

x39 is great for shooting higher volume, better round for hogs or critters of that type……etc.

Cons --- temperamental - yes if you prefer not to look at the machine and its parts. Can run 223 and sell the brass and pricing will come closer to price of x39…………..

Everybody I know that has done a 7.62x39 or 5.45 has had a nightmare trying to get decent mags that work right. That's why I have AK's for those calibers. I'm not aware of anybody who makes a .410 upper and don't see omit would work due to mag well limits.

The only calibers I've experienced besides the 223 that runs 100% in the AR platform has been 300BLK, 204, and 6.8SPC. 6x45 supposedly runs perfectly but I don't have any experience with it other than unboxing the barrel that's sitting in my shop.

I think ATI used to make a 410 upper for 2.5" shells, seems to be discontinued.

Yeah mallrat, I've seen them... I just need to find one.... Atleast one

I too would stay away from the AK calibers in the AR. There are some good choices that are just a different barrel: .204 Ruger, 6x45, 300BO. Then you have others that take a little work, like the 6.5 and 6.8 in different bolts and mags. Going hammer/thumper, you have the .458SOCOM and the .450 Bushmaster. Both need a tad of ejection port work, a new bolt and a barrel. Both can be fed from standard mags, the .450 with a sled, and end up single column.

If you're looking for 7.62x39 performance in an AR, why not go with the 300Blk? It's built go run in the AR, where the ruskie round isn't. Different can be painful, but that's your choice to make. You didn't mention the mission role you want your builds to fill, ether, and that drives the decision process.

I never thought of not like that. My mission... Well I guess I've wanted an at for a while and I now find myself with 3 lowers to build. I really want the 223. It seems like a round that about anyone can shoot with out worrying about the kick( wife and kids)
The .410, well it's different looks like a lot of fun.

My thought on all the builds was that they are reloadable for sure but the fact that I can go to a gunshop or Walmart or something like that and pick up some ammo.

That's why I we looking at 762x39.
I have been looking at some other calibers. Maybe something bigger. I do like the 300blk idea for sure.

I guess that's what I'm looking for is something different, but not some pink elephant caliber if you know what I mean...

The 450 looks interesting..
I'm still in the planning stage

i love my 7.62x39 ar. they do make 30 round makes for that cartridge (c products i believe) the only issue I've had is a few ftf... cheap ammo with hard primers. its somewhat of a bitch to keep clean mostly again from cheap ammo. as far as cost and availability of rounds its great for target shooting. now for being able to find soft points for hunting, well good luck... at least in stores anyway.

I built my x39 as a side charger.
LAR ops 4 griz upper
I use YHM barrels for this cal
G 3 gun trigger
LMT bolt
The trick to proper function is the mags. ASC only!

d438bccfe94261f1eae059a21c39bba0.jpg

Sorry you have to buy the model 1 sales firing pin too! Tula ammo etc is hit or miss. The only reliable cheap steel ammo for the AR platform is golden tiger. The primers are not as hard. Or load your own brass, stay away from ppu brass as its stretched out past specs in 1 use!