• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 build upper???

Omni

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2004
Lowell, Arkansas
I'm finally starting my AR15 build and have a question on the upper.

Should I just go buy a Larue, or BCM SPR complete upper or build my own from parts?

I have all the needed tools except a upper receiver lapper but Brownell's has them for a decent price.

The main wants on the upper are a FA, 18" barrel, a FF forearm that is as long as possible and accuracy. I was tempted to get the MI 15" forearm if i build my own but have heard some reviews of them being twisted??? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: AR15 build upper???

If you have the tools needed, I say go for it. I haven't bought an "off the shelf" AR in years because I usually come out cheaper building it set up exactly as I want it.

As for the MI-SS15 rails, I have a set on a carbine. I read those same comments about them being twisted before purchasing mine, but bought them anyway. They mounted up solid and look great, not to mention they are extremely light. I mounted the front sight all the way at the end of the HG and haven't seen one bit of twist. My BUIS are dead nuts in line with the CompML2's reticle.

Here they are mounted on a 16" barreled carbine.
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/443/img20111008072812.jpg

Thanks for the responses. My lower is going to have a Magpull PRS stock, SSA-E trigger and then the normal lower parts.

That pic looks nice, I think I will go ahead and try the MI forearm.

The MI forearm is a good piece of gear. I have two, no twisting or other problems. The edges can be a little sharp if yo dont put rail covers on. I also have a YHM lightweight and it is gtg too. I actually like it a little better and no sharp edges. The Larue rail is much more comfortable if you plan on putting the full profile rail covers(magpul XTM, KAC), the Larue doesnt feel too fat with the covers on like the other do.

I received some advice regarding hadguards/forearms, and their respective barrel nut interfaces; it was in a PM, so I'm going to leave it as an unattributed quote. I consider this to be an objective opinion, as it makes sense from what I know about the various barrel nut interfaces, and fasteners in general.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Daniel Defense Lite-Rail barrel nut is the biggest offender so far for killing accuracy. Small barrel nut, high torque specs, etc... I like the handguards otherwise, but poor accuracy results have been consistent.

We have found that the handguards which use the stock barrel nut like the Troy and Sampson, etc just dont have enough regidity for serious use.

Barrel nuts like the JP, Superior Weapons Systems, POF, LaRue etc provide a much larger barrel nut that works with lower torque specs, act as heat sinks over the chamber and provide excelent rigidity for heavy use.

I also hope to test out the new Seekins design soon, which looks very promising</div></div>

I will add that Noveske uses a re-branded variant of Superior Weapons Systems' forearm (a variant, that I know of, in that the Noveske branded version features additional anti-rotation tabs, IIRC).

Spikes uses a re-branded variant of Seekins forearms (a variant, that I know of, in that Spikes uses a 7075-T6 barrel nut; Seekins uses a 6AL-4V barrel nut - this makes the Spikes version cheaper).

What he refers to at the end, is now known as Integrated Rail Mounting technology (iRMT), and would be the ultimate setup.
Chromoly/41xx steel (most of the other systems' barrel nuts), 7075-T6, 6AL-4V, are all very high performance materials.

Personally, I intend to use a Seekins lower with my existing Mega upper, and either a Seekins SAR or BAR forearm. But for the above reasons, I would think Noveske and Spikes uppers/rifles, with the aforementioned forearms/handguards, would also be good choices. BCM is also among the better brands.

If you use all quality parts, you won't save a whole lot of money by building your own. In my opinion the real benefit comes from learning how stuff goes together, how it works, and then makes it easier for you to upgrade parts as you decide you want something different.

Buying a complete one has it's perks of a warranty, factory assembly, and normally a higher resale value.

I've built almost all of mine, and always recommend the same to people who ask me.

Hate to jump in, but what about YHM forearms?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndamendfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hate to jump in, but what about YHM forearms? </div></div>

I have an upper with a YHM rifle length Customizable and one with a JP VTAC forearm. They both cost about the same, and both only have a pic rail on the bottom for an Atlas bipod. I like the VTAC better (looks better, textured, no special tools, feels lighter). The only downside of the VTAC is that you have to red Loctite a part of it to your upper. The Troy VTAC TRX is similar to both too (including price).

If you want a quad rail, I think the YHM is too wide, I went with Daniel Defense for my upper with a quad rail, but that's $100 more than either the YHM or the VTAC.

I want the longest forearm possible. Thats why the MI 15" is so appealing. Plan on putting that on a 18" SPR barrel.

Got it put together tonight. Now I just need optics.

IMG_3086.jpg

PSA lower
PSA LPK
Geissele SSA-E trigger
Magpul PRS
Magpull trigger guard
Raineer arms billet match upper
Rock Creek SPR barrel .223 wylde
BCM auto bolt and carrier
MI SS15 rail
MI Low profile gas block
A2 flash hider

Haven't shot it yet since I just built it tonight. But dry firing it I like it. You have the normal slack take up that seems to be softer than the stock triggers. Then when you hit the 2nd stage it just snaps and is fired. No slop, no goo and everything feels like a trigger is supposed to.

How do you like the PSA lower. Thought about getting one for a SBR build.

Looks good! What glass are you thinking?