• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ar15 dies

losthelegend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
South Western Wyoming
I have began to reload some AR223 rounds and am using a RCBS FL 223 rem die set. I heard that I should be using a small base die set. I am fairly new to reloading and am curious as to why? and what the difference is between full dies and small base dies. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you time and explanations.

Re: ar15 dies

Small base dies size cases slightly smaller than regular dies. Since they don't have the powerful bolt closing camming action of a bolt rifle, some semi-autos with tight chambers won't feed reloaded ammo unless the cases were sized in a small base die.

I've loaded for a couple of AR-15 rifles as well as several other semi-auto rifles and have never had to use a small base dies so, if your ammo works, then have no worries.

A wilson case gage will solve problems more often than SB dies. If I were buying a die for an auto loader chambered in a cartridge that I didn't already have dies for, I'd buy small base. Otherwise, I'd try standard dies first.

I have found, however, that it seems to be easier with my progressive to size them correctly with small base dies.

I use a plain ole Lee Deluxe 223 die set for my Colt Match HBar without any problems.

I never needed a small base die for my AR15. In the past 2 years I have had zero failures with standard (Type-S) dies in over 2,000 rounds.

The trick with most AR15s is to get and keep the BCG properly lubed and the feed ramps polished.

I never use small base dies either. Just make sure the headspace is bump back .003 from chamber length with Redding Comp Die set. I try not to over work the brass and get more firings out of a piece of brass. Imperial lube has work well for me, to keep the headspace very consistent from casing to casing.

Ditto on all the above. I have never used SB dies or needed them and I have had maybe 8 ARs.
See the thread http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1520819#Post1520819

On this thread one guy had two dead min chambers cut with custom reamers and he "needed" them. Unless you have a after market barrel chances are your chamber is a factory gun with a SAAMI chamber which is large as compared to a new round.

read the above thread and measure your cases as indicated and you will know what your rifle gives and what your die gives.

I used RCBS's regular Full Length 2-die set for all my .223 handloading, both AR and M700.

The answer to the question is, is there a problem that needs a specialized die to remedy?

I'd get regular Full Length die set, and see how the ammo works. If there are problems with chambering or extraction, <span style="font-style: italic">and headspace is verified as correct</span>, then I'd try the Small Base set.

Greg

I've used Pacific (Hornady) and Lee .223 dies with no issues in several AR15's, a mini14 and Rem 700.

I've got a set of the new RCBS X dies but haven't tried them out yet.