• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR15 Flip up sights - suggestions?

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    I have only used the Magpul BUIS, and would like opinions on other flip up sights. I would like to be able to hit out to 500M with the sights, so would be looking for adjustment accordingly.

Any suggestions pros/cons like GG&G, Arms, KAC, Samson, Troy or MI ?

Any of them just really much better than the others? If so, why?

Anything in the rear that includes elevation adjustment is going to be calibrated to a particular projectile in a particular barrel. You may find your load/barrel comes close but otherwise you'll have to pattern it to your particular setup for the greatest accuracy.

If you can find a cartridge that has a similar muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient then you'll be close.

I can't say much about any except the KAC micros which I use and I like them. Since my outfits are pretty standardized I don't find much deviation from their calibrated elevation.

Last edited:
    KAC 200-600 in either the micro or full size version are great. I found them to be very accurate. Only downside is cost but you get what you pay for. They come up for sale in the options and accessories for sale forum often enough in the 200-225 dollar range.

A.R.M.S. #41 F and A.R.M.S. #41 L-P mounts as a pair are very good, and seen immune to damage because of they way they fold back without a locking detent. I also like the KAC Micro Front (but I don't care for their Micro rears as much) as it adjusts for elevation without a tool.

I'm currently running GG&G's Spring Actuated Front and Rears (with the XS same plane aperture), as they are cheaper than the A.R.M.S. and KAC combo's and they are after all BUIS and not primary sights. Plenty of good one's out there though....

Last edited:
    I love my troy HK sights. Very unobstructed view especially when compared to the magpul flip ups. Easy to line up sight picture just line up the circles. The front sight post is the same as the standard m4 /m16 so there are a lot of aftermarket sight posts for it. They lock solid and you don't have to press a button to deploy them just flip them up. They are also just under half an inch tall folded down so optic clearance isn't really an issue when using them as buis.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I run Troy flip-up Di-Optics. Diamond shaped rear aperture. Really makes lining up the two sights easy. Very compact and precise. The Troy HK circle-in-circle are also excellent.

I currently have, or have previously used, Troys, Midwest Industries, Magpul, ARMS, and PRI.

I love the Troys and the Magpul's because they're very low profile. The Midwest is okay; tough, but kinda big like the ARMS #40. I do, however, like the locking mechanism on the Midwest better than the lock on the ARMS. The PRI is new and haven't shot it yet, so no review. Best overall though, I'd say the Troys. They have a very solid, positive lock, built like a tank, and very low profile. Keep an eye out on Primary Arms' sales; I got mine from them last Christmas for 30% off the set!

If I had to rank the one's I've used:

1. Troy
    2. Midwest Industries
    3. Magpul
    4. ARMS
    5. PRI (only because I haven't used it yet)

I currently have, or have previously used, Troys, Midwest Industries, Magpul, ARMS, and PRI.

I love the Troys and the Magpul's because they're very low profile. The Midwest is okay; tough, but kinda big like the ARMS #40. I do, however, like the locking mechanism on the Midwest better than the lock on the ARMS. The PRI is new and haven't shot it yet, so no review. Best overall though, I'd say the Troys. They have a very solid, positive lock, built like a tank, and very low profile. Keep an eye out on Primary Arms' sales; I got mine from them last Christmas for 30% off the set!

If I had to rank the one's I've used:

1. Troy
    2. Midwest Industries
    3. Magpul
    4. ARMS
    5. PRI (only because I haven't used it yet)

mateofeo85,

Don't have a quarrel with your rankings, but I thought I should point out that Midwest Industries has two different front and rear configurations. The MI ERS Buis which are fat and stand 0.760" when folded and the newer MI SPLP (Same Plane Low Profile) that sit only 0.4375" and are fractionally lower even than the Troy's which are 0.460" folded.

Midwest Industries: SPLP (Same Plane Low Profile)

Midwest Industries: ERS (Emergency Rear Sight)

Many folks still think that all MI BUIS are the older fat ones, but the new SPLP are as good and sit as low as the Troy's, and some people like me think they are a spot better...at least the rears are, I still like the Troy built fronts better. Nothing wrong with mixing and matching. Troy Fronts (BCM Marked) and MI SPLP Rears, in fact I just ordered that same combo yesterday for my latest AR build.

Lots of good BUIS around, just find a pair with the features you like.

Last edited:
    mateofeo85,

Don't have a quarrel with your rankings, but I thought I should point out that Midwest Industries has two different front and rear configurations. The MI ERS Buis which are fat and stand 0.760" when folded and the newer MI SPLP (Same Plane Low Profile) that sit only 0.4375" and are fractionally lower even than the Troy's which are 0.460" folded.

Midwest Industries: SPLP (Same Plane Low Profile)

Midwest Industries: ERS (Emergency Rear Sight)

Many folks still think that all MI BUIS are the older fat ones, but the new SPLP are as good and sit as low as the Troy's, and some people like me think they are a spot better...at least the rears are, I still like the Troy built fronts better. Nothing wrong with mixing and matching. Troy Fronts (BCM Marked) and MI SPLP Rears, in fact I just ordered that same combo yesterday for my latest AR build.

Lots of good BUIS around, just find a pair with the features you like.

Good point, and my negligence to mention that regardless of the fact mine is the old bulky one, there are definitely newer, sleeker models out there today.

Personally I run all MI SPLP as I mount my scopes lower then most and I need at the room I can get. But for actually shooting with Irons, I really like the matechs. They've got that cool range adjuster on the side that really works, especially for your application. 20" barrel standard ammo. Very cheap on the secondary markets

My favorite rear is GG&G MAD with the KAC front sight. Patrick Sweeney turned me on to the MAD in one of his AR15 books. It is very low and great with optics. 2 versions of MAD (also beware of knock-offs!)

I use Troy Micros on both of my MRs. As stated above, good sights that doesn't obstruct your FOV as much as MBUS do.