• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AR15 gas block pin

ggiddy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2020
what is the best practice for pin type when pinning an ar15 gas block to a barrel? I've seen some gas blocks pinned to the barrel using a solid pin and some use a roll pin. Is there a material type to look for or avoid? harbor freight sells a roll pin variety pack, are those pins appropriate for the job?

Most A2 assemblies use solid, tapered pins.

The only one I know of that uses a roll pin is the Geissele but it comes with it.

I'd shy from anything Harbor Freight and get the correct taper pins for an A2 or else call the mfg. to see what they recommend if something different.

A set of roll pin starter punches is nice for pretty much all the pins on an AR too.

Also when using taper pins, beware the more you remove and reinstall them the more you're gonna ream that hole out and then you may wind up having to find custom pins. Just a heads up. They're usually a one and done permanent installation. Or were intended to be.

If you opt for taper pins, you’ll also need the reamer...

What has you thinking you need a pinned gas block over one with dimples and set screws?

this is for a low profile gas block and the barrel is already drilled for it. the bag that had the mfg pin was thrown out. the barrel has no dimples.

We use pretty common stainless steel roll pins a lot at work. I've used them when pinning low profile gas blocks and they have worked perfectly. The gas blocks I've pinned had two set screws and I pinned them between the two set screws.

I have never used the roll pins from Harbor Freight? The pins I use is from Fastenal in a small kit. I have had good luck with them on more than just barrels. They don't smash as easy as some cheaper ones that have came with components.

If it’s only one hole of larger diameter (.25” ish or larger) you will be fine with set screws and a roll pin of appropriate length.

If it’s two smaller thru holes, I’d say you may already have the barrel drilled for taper pins. Use a drill index to determine if they are tapered. If so, you’ll need the taper reamer...

Could you post a picture of the underside of the barrel & the gas block?

If it’s only one hole of larger diameter (.25” ish or larger) you will be fine with set screws and a roll pin of appropriate length.

If it’s two smaller thru holes, I’d say you may already have the barrel drilled for taper pins. Use a drill index to determine if they are tapered. If so, you’ll need the taper reamer...

Could you post a picture of the underside of the barrel & the gas block?

^^^ This... You don't want to to cram roll pins into a taper pin hole. The good ol' A2 gas block/FSB used solid taper pins. Pics should help us get you squared away.

this is for a low profile gas block and the barrel is already drilled for it. the bag that had the mfg pin was thrown out. the barrel has no dimples.
So you bought a barrel with a pinned gas block and lost the pin?? How hard would it be to call the supplier and ask for another pin?? Seems strange to me that the barrel wasn't shipped with the block installed. A drilled gas block only fits the barrel it was drilled with.