• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 ownership in California ?

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
can a standard ar15 be purchased by someone who resides in CA and be converted to a CA compliant gun of does it need to come from the manufacturer as CA compliant

I don't usually point to an internet source for legal advice but these guys seem to know their shit re CA statutes.

Calguns.net

Kind of depends on the situation. When I purchased a Barrett m468, I drove to my parents home in Wyoming to pick it up, installed the bullet button and brought it back to CA. If you do an ffl transfer, the CA dealer will make the changes before they are allowed to transfer the firearm.

Also: all mags must be no more than 10 rounds

Beware that there are two things you need to watch out for bringing a detachable mag semi auto rifle back like an AR back to CA:

1. Make sure it passes the characteristics test under SB23

2. Make sure it isn't banned by name. Certain brands & models are specifically named and aren't legal in CA regardless if you modify it to be compliant with the "characteristics law."

Here's a good flow chart from the gang at Calguns:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Go to Riflegear website and call them for info...very friendly gun store.

can a standard ar15 be purchased by someone who resides in CA and be converted to a CA compliant gun of does it need to come from the manufacturer as CA compliant

Needs to be shipped compliant depending on the FFL most will accept them with just the mag release removed and the hicaps disassembled. Otherwise it needs a mag lock.

Cali legislature is considering new laws that will totally ban every rifle that has a mag and is semi-auto so there will be a new oh shit! buying spree in a few months as everyone in Cali whips out the plastic.

Best bet is to ship it to CA in a compliant configuration. Usually a bullet button is all it takes.

If you don't ship it in compliant configuration then the CA FFL would need the necessary licensing to accept it in non-compliant configuration.

Couple of you guys are wrong. An AR-15 rifle that is not on the ban list can also be shipped into Ca as long as the upper and lower are separated. It does not need a bullet button when they are shipped as it is not considered a complete rifle until they are mated together. The hard part is finding an FFL that is comfortable in doing so. It is legal to do this but some FFL's don't know the laws entirely and want to cover their butts (completely understand this). The reasoning is that a standard AR-15 complete lower with regular mag release could be mated with a .22 upper which is exempt from centerfire regulations and doesn't need a BB. Some people just ship the lower to the FFL and ship the Upper directly to whom they sell it to. Once the lower arrives in Ca, the FFL can install a BB (or make it a featureless rifle) and then attach the upper, thus making it a Ca legally configured rifle. Ca laws suck, but we must comply with them to play along.

Couple of you guys are wrong. An AR-15 rifle that is not on the ban list can also be shipped into Ca as long as the upper and lower are separated. It does not need a bullet button when they are shipped as it is not considered a complete rifle until they are mated together. The hard part is finding an FFL that is comfortable in doing so. It is legal to do this but some FFL's don't know the laws entirely and want to cover their butts (completely understand this). The reasoning is that a standard AR-15 complete lower with regular mag release could be mated with a .22 upper which is exempt from centerfire regulations and doesn't need a BB. Some people just ship the lower to the FFL and ship the Upper directly to whom they sell it to. Once the lower arrives in Ca, the FFL can install a BB (or make it a featureless rifle) and then attach the upper, thus making it a Ca legally configured rifle. Ca laws suck, but we must comply with them to play along.

This is technically correct... CA assault weapon laws don't apply to rimfire AR15s... so that complete lower could very well be for a rimfire AR.

However, it makes your life much easier when a bullet button is installed.

What is the offense if you do not have a bullet button on an already owned AR style rifle??

You are strictly correct, but it's not going to be easy to find an FFL, and it's for good reason...being legal has never stopped the CA DoJ from confiscating firearms and arresting people, and this one is closer to the margin than most. You can also simply remove the pistol grip if the rifle does not have any other CA evil features (Flash hider, collapsible stock and forward grip are the most common ones. Bayo lugs are not evil in Cali, for now.)

Last edited:
What is the offense if you do not have a bullet button on an already owned AR style rifle??
If it's a registered AW, nothing. If it's a featureless build on a non-named receiver, no evil features, you are good. If it has evil features and no BB, or is a banned receiver/model, it's a felony.

Last edited:
If it's a registered AW, nothing. If it's a featureless build on a non-named receiver, no evil features, you are good. If it has evil features and no BB, or is a banned receiver/model, it's a felony.

Thanks, it's a new build I am doing, no name anything. No bayonet lug, no flash suppressor, but it I was going to use a pistol grip, (kinda necessary:)) and collapsing stock.
Is that too many evil features??

Thanks, it's a new build I am doing, no name anything. No bayonet lug, no flash suppressor, but it I was going to use a pistol grip, (kinda necessary:)) and collapsing stock.
Is that too many evil features??

Study the Calguns flow chart. Not a time to guess. I'm concerned when you write "no name anything" that you think it has to be a no-name or relatively unknown receiver. The requirement is not just a lack of evil features or bullet button but a receiver not named on a list of specifically named rifles -- see the flow chart -- and keep in mind that even with the bullet button you are limited to 10 round magazines. That's ten rounds even if you have pre-Caliban 30 round magazines. Those can only be used as 30 rounders in rifles which you registered years ago and are now registered "assault weapons" in California. Modifying 30 round magazines (often referred to as standard capacity magazines rather than high-capacity) so they can only accept 10 rounds is a whole other subject for debate and speculation -- surrounding how permanent the modification needs to be to comply with the law.

There is some great info on Calguns and it is worth some time to study CalGuns Foundation AW Flowchart http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf and the legal discussions on the website. You'll likely also be able to find FFLs that are well versed in the law and willing to use the legal avenues available to them.

Last edited:
Prior to returning to Kalifornia a couple years ago, I spent a great deal of time trying to find an FFL holder that would accept non-compliant rifles, so that they could be made compliant after shipping. I couldn't find a single one willing to accept shipment. Whether that strictly adheres to the letter of the law or not, it was the reality of the situation. Nor was I able to find a local smith willing to make the necessary modifications prior to shipment. They didn't simply want to be responsible. I ended up selling all the AR-type rifles before moving. Fortunately, I received decent money for them, but I've been without an AR since. If do do an internet search (ie. "California compliant AR-15", or similar), you will find that there are a few suppliers that will make a non-compliant rifle compliant, prior to shipping to your FFL of choice.

Thanks for the info, I will give that chart a better looking over.

Do not fuck this up, they are not playing around. In addition to the excellent flow chart, direct from the DoJ (hard to tell, but with hyperlinks for the 3)-
What is considered an assault weapon under California law?
There are three categories of assault weapons under California law. The first category is firearms listed on the original Roberti-Roos assault weapons list (Penal Code section 12276, subds (a), (b), and (c)). The second category of assault weapons is AK and AR-15 series weapons, pdf (Penal Code sections 12276 (e) and (f)). The third category of assault weapons is defined by specific generic characteristics (PC section 12276.1, SB 23).

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs#8

Last edited:
Yep, I am good to go with the way I plan on building it.
Great. I shot post SB23 ARs in Cali for 7 years, so I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it. But California arrests people over these laws every year, AWB arrests are highly prized by LE & DAs in many parts of the state. Claiming ignorance, Being LEO (or prior), a soldier/Marine etc etc...these are not excuses that will keep you out of jail. By all means, build and shoot them, but know what you're doing. Don't just take the opinion of one guy on the web (like me :) ) or even just 1 gun shop either. There is a whole lot of intentionally created FUD in Cali around AW, it can be confusing.

Great. I shot post SB23 ARs in Cali for 7 years, so I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it. But California arrests people over these laws every year, AWB arrests are highly prized by LE & DAs in many parts of the state. Claiming ignorance, Being LEO (or prior), a soldier/Marine etc etc...these are not excuses that will keep you out of jail. By all means, build and shoot them, but know what you're doing. Don't just take the opinion of one guy on the web (like me :) ) or even just 1 gun shop either. There is a whole lot of intentionally created FUD in Cali around AW, it can be confusing.

Its usually in the liberal controlled areas. SF or LA it pretty bad with the AW or Non AW issues. I live in Sacramento and even sold AR's to LEO's. They are pretty well informed because they don't want to risk long court and law suit process.

Aren't all KAC rifles banned by name, even if they are technically compliant with a bullet button?

Yes!

Some wrong info again. You CAN use you 30 round pre-ban magazines (legally owned or acquired) in a featureless built AR-15 rifle. It must be featureless and not have a Bullet Button. You should NEVER use a 30 round mag (legally owned or not) in a Bullet Buttoned rifle. That is a felony.

Yes!

Some wrong info again. You CAN use you 30 round pre-ban magazines (legally owned or acquired) in a featureless built AR-15 rifle. It must be featureless and not have a Bullet Button.

Oops--you got me! I had it in my head to include that but just rushed through it too fast.