• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 Setup Help...

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
I'm trying to come up with the most versitile setup while keeping weight down to a minimum. My max range for this rifle would probably be 400-500yds (with most use being within 50 -200yds) using 55gr - 75gr bullets.

Currently have my AR15 setup as follows:
- A2 Upper (also have extra A4 flat-top)
- 16" 1:7 M4 Barrel w/ FCS brake
- YHM Carbine FF Quad Rail (also have rifle length)
- A2 Fixed Gas Block/Front sight
- Collapsible Stock
- M3 Red Dot

I was wondering what I should do since I have the extra A4 upper and rifle length quad rail forend just sitting around. (no you can't have them
grin.gif
). I'll probably sell any leftover parts.

Options:
1. Leave current upper as is and build extra upper: Order a 20" barrel for a longer range upper that I would mount a magnified optic?
2. Leave current upper as is and build extra upper: Order another 16" barrel and mount a magnified optic?
3. Switch A2 upper with A4 flat-top and keep everything else the same (carbine forend) and get a quick detach mount for a magnified optic to switch with my red dot. (Sell A2 upper)
4. Switch A2 upper with A4 flat-top, switch carbine forend to rifle length forend and get a quick detach mount for a magnified optic to switch with my red dot. (Sell A2 upper and carbine forend)
5. Open to suggestions

Thanks, b/c I've been going back and forth on what to do for months.

Hawk

Current setup.. bad pic sorry:
p1010536a.jpg

Re: AR15 Setup Help...

#1-send scottmilk9 ("got impingement" link in my sig) your rail and upper and have him twist you up a scary accurate 18" midlength for your mid range flyshooter.

The setup you have (minus the red dot) is plenty capable of making a 500 yd shot. Last week out in ND I was dinging the gong at 600 with a 16" YHM barrel and BUIS, prone unsupported w/sling. If you want better accuracy then you're currently getting and you're POSITIVE it's the rifle and not your shooting, I would go 20" Krieger barrel on that A4 upper. Just send the upper to Krieger and let them fit it.

I think I would get a 20" fast twist match barrel and bolt for the Flat Top. Get a gas manafold instead of a front sight for it. Then get some glass on the flat top. On a budget I would look at Super Snipers.
Next put a trigger in the lower. I have JP and Jewell and like them both. The Jewell can be installed at home. The JP I sent the lower off and had it installed. I have the Jewell in my long range rifle, and the JP in my M4.