• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ar15 Twist 1/9 - ? on shooting this Barnes Grenade

Magforce

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2009
Lebanon, Tennessee, USA
Ok I know all about the Twist rate and that shooting a litghter Grain bullet we should use a 1/12 for below 40 Grains. I want to shoot some of the Barnes 36 Grain Grenade Bullets but I have a 1-9 twist on my AR. Im not going to use this all the time just once in a while. The question is will the bullet stabalize correctly in the 1-9 or wasting my time and bullets ?

Re: Ar15 Twist 1/9 - ? on shooting this Barnes Grenade

The Barnes Grenade bullets have a very thin jacket, so a 1 in 9 might spin them too fast, and they might break up in flight. I personally don't have any experience, so don't take my word on it. Hopefully someone will.

I've fired the 50 grain VG in a 16" 1/9 with excellent accuracy. Don't know about the lighter ones though. It can't hurt to load up ten of them and give them a try.

I tried them in a 20" 1 in 8 twist RRA varmint and it did not work out too well.