• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR15 upper recommendations possibly 6.8 or 6.5

Re: AR15 upper recommendations possibly 6.8 or 6.

I wouold go with the 18" as the shortest for the Grendel. 16" maybe if you were strictly CQ type shooting. I think the 19.5 is best all around for velocity/manuverability

<span style="font-weight: bold">If these comparisons dont make you want to go the 6.5 Grendel route I dont know what will! I did and will never buy a 6.8SPC.
Also look at the comparisons to the .308 (7.62)!!</span>

65GrendelballisticsENERGYCOMPARISON.gif

65GrendelballisticsENERGY.gif

65GrendelballisticsTRAJECTORYCOMPAR.gif

65GrendelballisticsTRAJECTORY.gif

65GrendelballisticsVELOCITYCOMPARIS.gif

65GrendelballisticsVELOCITY.gif

65GrendelballisticsWIND.gif

65grendelballisticsWINDDRIFTCOMPARI.gif

Lot of misinformation in that last chart...do you really believe a 147gr .308 at 2600fps will have less energy at 1k than a 123gr .264 at 2475fps? I like how it compares data for various cartridges but lists the flattest shooting most low drag load avaliable for the 6.5 Grendel...and who even shoots a 147gr .308 at 1k? Let alone out of a 16" barrel, hence their quoted 2600fps MV. Why don't they compare the 168gr or 175gr loads? They don't list the best and flattest shooting 6.8 load, in fact they show one of the earliest loads (SSA 115gr 2525fps) with velocity numbers pulled from the early SAAMI spec'd barrels. They don't mention a handloaded 85gr TSX going 3150fps out of a 16" barrel. They don't show a SSA factory load 100gr Nosler Accubond at 2700fps out of a 16" barrel. They don't show the SSA 90gr TNT at 2900fps out of a 16" barrel at all...So, LOOK at the comparisons to the .308 and the 6.8 SPC. That chart has been floating around the web since like 2003 and debating the facts presented in it is one of the longer running beat-a-dead-horse-athons.

Also, the 6.8 SPC still spanks the 6.5 Grendel for KE inside 100yd, especially out of the shorter barrels.

After using nearly maximum loads(30.5) of AA2520 with either 123 grain Hornady A max bullets or 123 grain Sierra HPBT bullets i was getting close to 2600 feet/second in my 24" Les Baer 6.5 Grendel. The Grendel makes me happy.

I did quite a bit of reading myself and decided to go 6.5G even though the ammo is a issue. I think this will work itself out in the future. I guess the patent on the round needs to hurry up and run out for the good of us all, not sure if that is exactly how it works but its a guess. Any how, Tactical Rifles is building me a Tactical SPG with a 20' barrel. Pricey and I will not have it for several more months but I am certainly looking forward to it.

I've read so many of these 6.5/6.8 debates and I don't recall one time someone changed their mind.

So apparently if you want to get a short barrel for under 100 yards only then buy 6.8. For everything else buy 6.5. Am I close?

I found an article in the April 2010 Guns Magazine on the Stag Amrs 6.8 spc. Just FYI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chase102798</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read so many of these 6.5/6.8 debates and I don't recall one time someone changed their mind.

So apparently if you want to get a short barrel for under 100 yards only then buy 6.8. For everything else buy 6.5. Am I close? </div></div>

Pretty close,

The biggest flaw I can see with the 6.5G is the CP mags "reliability problems"and the cost for ammo.The strengths being higher BC bullets and great brass.If Pmag would come out with a good mag for 6.5G things would be much better for that cartridge,I think.In my friends 6.5G the factory 123's are only going 2560fps out of a 24" barrel.I'm not all that impressed.

I look at the 6.8SPC as a close to medium range cartridge.Which is what it was designed for.At least there's some good mags out there for it.I'd trust it for self defense more in the AR platform by a large margin.

I have a 6mmART40.I really like it! 105's at 2900fps and 95's at nearly 3050 fps.Some serious ballistics for such a small cartridge with very light recoil.

Steve

Bamf911, it is my understanding that Les Baer's cartridge the 6.5 LBC as well as the 6.5 BPC (borden palmisano) will still run in a grendel chamber..so you aren't necessarily 'stuck' with 6.5 Grendel ammunition. These are 'aftermarket' cases but I believe the chamber reamers are identical to the 6.5G. This is opening up more opportunities for MFG's to chamber rifles in 6.5 as well as to produce ammo without dealing with AA's licensing restrictions.

Hehe... I was having this same debate a while back... ended up with a 25wssm upper instead of either.

If you don't want to shoot LR the 6.8 is the way to go. It's way more available than the 6.5G, and availability of ammo, brass, parts, uppers, etc is a good thing. The Grendel is a great little round... if Bill Alexander would not kill his products by keeping them from the masses the 6.5 would be a lot better off.

6BR, 6BRX, 6.5BR, 7BR
Wildcats all of them but, Lapua and Norma do load 6BR ammo.
Bushing dies make it easy to load any of them and only the BRX requires fire forming. The BRX with 105s or 7s will hit about 3100 from a 22" Guess that makes it the flattest shooting cartridge in a AR15 except the WSSMs whos necks are too thick at .034 for great accuracy.

Re: AR15 upper recommendations possibly 6.8 or 6.5

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I emailed stag they said I can expect 1/2"-1" groups. If their quality is good then pricewise, that would be the best pricewise.

I still leaning toward Dpms due to i know they have good stuff. and the customization. Bonus* moly chrome barrels.

Anyone got any input on stag products? </div></div>
DPMS is not using the same barrel maker as they were a few years ago, the blanks are made in Montana and finished at DPMS now, quality is reported not as good.

If you are considering 6.8 SPC II, then check this link out:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=353523

In my mind, an AR platform is more of a close to medium range weapon (out to about 600yd). For this application, I think the 6.8 is the better round. I realize the 6.5G is better at long range, but needs a longer barrel (20-24") in order to really excel at what it does. Shot from an AR platform, it will still not be as accurate as a good bolt gun. And if you are sticking with 6.5mm, then there are better chamberings in that caliber like 6.5L, 6.5CM, and 260R. For my purposes, I'd go 6.8 SPC II.