• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR15 with Spikes tactical T2 buffer not cycling reloads un-suppressed

BOL556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
Hello all,

Having problems finding a load that will cycle the action when my suppressor is off. I have tried every load possible. I try the hand loads with out the suppressor and it acts like I am shooting sub sonic loads. If I put the suppressor on using the 10% load start out all the way up to max load it will cycle no problem. Next time I go out I will try factory loads and see if I get the same out come. If I do have the same problem I would have to assume my gas tube is the problem and will have to be replaced. Any help with this or the cause of the problem would be awesome.

I'm thinking leaking gas tube or gas port blockage, you may want to try and use some foam bore cleaner. Give the bore and gas tube a good shot or two of foam and then a shot of carb cleaner. You might have colon blockage and need a good enema.

This is a wild ass guess because the first M16 rifles they handed us in the service jammed every time we fired them, and the problem was calcium buildup in the gas tube from the powder. You may have come full circle and need to report your findings to Congress..............again.

vietnam-war-cartoon_zps869f6483.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried switching you t2 buffer to a regular carbin? Whats your gas length? Is this a sbr?

AR15 with Spikes tactical T2 buffer not cycling reloads un-suppressed

Point is switching to a "regular carbine" buffer isn't any different that the T2 he is running.

He may want to diagnose and if trying another bugger try a T1.

Point is switching to a "regular carbine" buffer isn't any different that the T2 he is running.

He may want to diagnose and if trying another bugger try a T1.

Regular carbine is like a T1 and lighter than h2/t2 sometimes this will fix it or even lighter buffer spring..specialy he stated that it works when supresor is on..

Has nothing to do with the buffer system I have ran this AR with the T2 and mid length gas for over 2 years. Also my buffer is filled with tungston powder not weight like shown above. Most likely what I said in the original post it may just be the gas tube is fouled and either has to be cleaned or changed out.

Make sure your gas block is lined up and hasn't shifted. Check the gas key on your bolt and make sure it hasn't come loose. I run the ST2 with midlength gas and have never once had a problem with even the lightest reloads or any factory ammo.

Has nothing to do with the buffer system I have ran this AR with the T2 and mid length gas for over 2 years. Also my buffer is filled with tungston powder not weight like shown above. Most likely what I said in the original post it may just be the gas tube is fouled and either has to be cleaned or changed out.

Trying the std buffer is 1 step in the troubleshooting process. Powder or not, it's the WEIGHT that matters most. If it runs with the std buffer, then that's more evidence of being under-gassed for some reason. Also need to check to make sure the gas block hasn't moved (don't know what type it is), the gas rings on the bolt, the gas key on the carrier, etc etc etc. Do you also have an extra power spring? There are many things that need to be eliminated rather than just jumping to conclusions. It may very well be that the gas tube is the culprit, but then that leads to the question-WHY is the gas tube clogged? YMMV

Also-what kind of powder, primer, bullet? Different powder than normal?

Last edited:
If your gas system is not clogged, and your gas block has not shifted, change your buffer spring, I just went thru this exact situation on my new AR15 build, everything was brand new except the A2 stock/buffer/buffer spring, as I went thru the trouble shooting process and discounted everything the only thing left was the buffer spring, I even made sure I have AR15 buffer and not AR10, I installed a Tubb flat wire buffer spring and now the weapon will cycle properly unsurppressed

Rifle Specs
Voltor MUR upper
Spikes M16 BCG
Daniel Defense 18 inch mid length barrel
Syrac adjustable gas block still set at wide open
Noveske 15inch NSR rail
Griffin Armament M4SD brake or HTG Aries Suppressor
Shark Surppressor AR lower
DPMS Parts Kit
AR Gold Trigger(f-ing bada$$)
Who knows A2 stock with AR15 buffer and Tubb spring
I'm using a barowed optic, Luepold Mk4 with M3 knobs in a Laure 1.4 mount

Truth be known the type of buffer offers little help with the function issue described here.

Spring dynamics terms
1.free length (buffer spring under no stress)
2. Solid Height (buffer spring compressed to solid height)
3. Load at position "1" (bolt closed on the rifle)
4. Load at position "2" (bolt opened on the rifle)

If you put a load sensor on the back of the buffer tube.

Take virtually any round wire buffer spring and it will show approx. 7.5 lbs of forward load when the bolt is closed in the firing position.
Open the bolt and the load sensor with indicate approx. 20 lbs of forward load when the bolt is open.

Take a 17-7ph 36 coil flatwire buffer spring.
At bolt closed position "1" it will have a 10+ lbs forward load which translates to 50% more load than a round wire spring.

However at position "2" bolt open the forward load will be less than 16 lbs or 25% less load when the bolt is to the rear than a round wire buffer spring.

The flatwire spring allows the empty case to be properly released (not knocked forward toward 1 oclock by the bolt rebounding off of the back of its travel)
and gives the most substandard magazine spring time to get the next round into position by slowing down the bolt rebound.

Very seldom do we ever get call about a Flatwire buffer not functioning in either a Standard or a Car length rifle. When we do it is usually a leak in the gas system.

Hope this helps.

Update: Went out today and tried a little of everything, different spring carbine buffer, ensured the gas block had not moved and the hole in the barrel wasnt blocked. All test were conducted with hornady 55gr 5.56 factory loads. Didnt matter what I tried above the bolt still would not cycle the action. So I am going to order a new gas tube and hopefully this will be the 12 dollar fix and nothing more. Also will be changing the gas rings just to be on the safe side on the bolt. My guess because I do shoot more suppressed then a normal muzzle break the gas tube is just to far gone.