• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arbor Presses

Sniper Uncle

Patriot Marksman Trainee
Minuteman
Hey All, I have a Rock-Chucker Supreme press by RCBS. I load a variety of calibers. I am thinking about getting an arbor press for seating bullets in my 338LM casings, as it appears from my reading that they can tend to be more precise.
Is this true? Or am I being mislead by hype?
If it is true, which arbor press is a good value and a good press?
What type of seating die should be used in it? Do they use special seating dies, or will the normal 7/8 thread dies work in them?
Thanks in advance for the info.
Tim

Re: Arbor Presses

Arbor presses are used for dies like the le wilson inline seaters. They tend to have less "leverage" so you can feel the seating process more than your cam over type presses... They are not meant for threaded dies.

I use both threaded dies and inline dies for seating. For precision I prefer the arbor press and inline dies cut with my chamber reamer for my rifle. But that is just my preference.

Redding and Forster sliding sleeve seaters which are threaded dies have very good results as well.

It will come down to a personal preference....

Not hype - the advantage is less bullet run- out. The bullet and case are fully aligned in the die before the bullet is seated in these. Wilson dies are the norm in this world, and they are not compatable with threaded dies,

Regarding the bullet runout, you can get Redding Comp dies that are as precise, but they are pricey. A standard Wilson seating die runs about $40.

Go to any benchrest shooting event and 99% will be using these...proof enough for me.

Regarding the arbor press, check out Sinclair. Also a good source to get additional info.

I use a K&M with seating force attachment, it's simple and easy to use, and I like the feel, but my runout is no better or worse than with my Redding Comp seater, I use the plano steel Wilson dies with the Sinclair micro meter tops. The seating force attachment is nice, as brass work hardens it lets you see how the force required to seat a pill change, let's you know when it's time to anneal.

So, I gather from these responses, that if I get a good Competition seating die, rather than the arbor press and in-line dies, the results should be similar in quality.
Is this correct?

I really think that my 338LM is the only size that I care that much about the best precision I can achieve.

Thanks for all the responses,
Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waste_knot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought arbor presses were for reloading at the range. </div></div>

They work equally well on the home reloading bench...but yes, the benchrest guys use them at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they go on sale on Arbor Day? </div></div>

Yes but you have to buy at least tree of them.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

1911fan

the RCBS will do all that you need as they all go over center with the cam action. there all the same . I have had mine for 35 plus and still use it along with a Dillon 550