• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ARC Barloc - Estimated Shipping Date????

Kimber.204

A Stranger in a Strange Land
Minuteman
May 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I just ordered a Barloc off of the American Rifle Company website. I was wondering if anyone knows when they will begin shipping.

I imagine that there were a ton of pre-orders around SHOT and the PVA Hancock Rifle, so I'll bet I'm pretty far down the line.
Just curious if anyone knows.

Let me know,
Thanks,
Ross

Yeah hard telling. I put in my order for my Mausingfield a few weeks before the Nucleus release. It'll show when it shows I guess.

I ordered a couple when the came out and still haven’t received them. I’m guessing the Nuke will be priority over these for a while.

Well, looks like I'm going to need to get a barrel nut set up if I want to play with my new toy.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Ross

Reactions: Skunkworx
Just got an order completion email from ARC for my Barloc.

Anyone know if the barlok will fit with an AIAX chassis?

What?! You guys are getting barlocs already?
Good news indeed. I hope that means they are right on schedule for the Nucleus stuff! Ideally id like to be shooting my new rifle over this summer!

I am sure mine will ship soon. I can't wait to see if it is for prefit or shouldered barrels. Not that it matters...I just need to know which type barrels to buy.

I am sure mine will ship soon. I can't wait to see if it is for prefit or shouldered barrels. Not that it matters...I just need to know which type barrels to buy.
There’s going to have to be horse-trading because I already bought a prefit.

I also got the email yesterday. They must have got a large batch back from getting the nitride coating.
I'm going to use mine on a Bighorn TL3, so I didn't get the recoil lug, and I got it set up for pre-fit's not shoulders.
I'm actually wondering if I can buy extra front nuts and essentially create shoulders on my pre-fit barrels for even easier barrel swaps. I'll ask ARC the question in a few months when demand slows down a little for them maybe.

Good luck everyone, looking forward to getting some reviews and opinions on this setup when we all get them in hand.

Regards,
Ross

Tracking says my Barloc is waiting at my UPS box for me! Unfortunately my head space gauges won't be in till Monday.

Got email saying mine is shipped yesterday, no tracking # though. Looking forward to finally put the rifle together.

Last edited:
Well, I received my ARC Barloc, and assembled the rifle (still no headspace gauges though...so I can't finish). As expected I had to trim the rail on top of my Bighorn TL3 since it over hangs the from of the action. Everything went together smoothly. Ted really pushed the industry forward with this one! I plan to swap barrels on a somewhat regular basis, and I expect that I'll need to re-zero, but that will be fine for my needs.

Reactions: Another Casual
Well, I received my ARC Barloc, and assembled the rifle (still no headspace gauges though...so I can't finish). As expected I had to trim the rail on top of my Bighorn TL3 since it over hangs the from of the action. Everything went together smoothly. Ted really pushed the industry forward with this one! I plan to swap barrels on a somewhat regular basis, and I expect that I'll need to re-zero, but that will be fine for my needs.

Hmm, didn't think about the rail overhanging. Did you just grind it even with the end of the action?

You will have to cut it. It sticks out quite a bit. Big Horn does sell a shorter version. I got mine barloc in as well, looks great but I have not put it on...all rifles are already occupied so will be next barrel change.

Im chomping at the bit to order a Barloc for my TL3 but can't decide between the shouldered and the barrel nut version for an MPA chassis.

@madcow1007 , no, I didn't grind it. I used a scribe to mark the end of the action, removed it from the action and the cut it with a band saw...it was a sharp blade so it was a very clean cut. Then I just lightly deburred the edges.

@[email protected] you can't go wrong either way (shouldered or barrel nut). I chose the barrel nut simply for the ability to use Savage Pre-fits. I currently have 3 savage varmint take off barrels for the rig already. .223, .308, and 6.5Creedmoor. I also have a barrel at the gun smiths' (Dave Bruno) getting chambered for 6mm Comp Match. I'll use the 6mm Comp Match and the .223 for matches, I'll use the .223 and .308 for cheap practice and I got the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for a song, but it will probably just sit for a while. I'd also like to add a barrel in a big game caliber, either a 300WSM or .338 Federal.

The shouldered barrels are probably easier to swap on a regular basis, but more not as easily obtained as savage take off's.

Bottom line, run what you like and don't look back.

Regards,
Ross

Finally got around to messing with my Barloc. I have an old .260 barrel floating around. It's a Savage prefit by Bugholes. My plan is to have the current 6.5 SAUM barrel modified to work with the Barloc (shouldered style, with 2 tapered rings), as well as ordering another barrel, probably a 16-18" .308 from PVA for throwing tracers and mid-range fuckery, maybe subs if Josh has a 1-8 twist blank. Anyway, I have about 2200 rounds on this .260 barrel and I figured it maybe has another 500-1000 rounds left on it if I wanted to push it. I still have a few loads stashed away in a corner somewhere for it. So I went to see if it would work with the Barloc.

Off the bat, no-go. You're going to need to either modify your savage barrel nut, or order an ARC barrel nut meant for the Barloc. I was going to try to run the shouldered barloc with the savage nut... The Savage nuts have too many threads on them, and not a long enough threaded section of barrel to squeeze the barloc system in. The fix is to lop off the non-keyed portion of the savage nut, then cut away (boring bar) several of the internal threads. I left 5-6 threads on the inside of mine, which should be enough to bear the load. Boring the threads away like this makes a "shelf" that covers up the forward-most barrel threads so it's just smooth barrel infront of the nut, not threads.

Finally, I flipped the nut around and cut a 30 degree chamfer on the back side, which appears to be pretty close to what ARC is using on the tapered rings. Below are a few pictures. It will probably be several weeks (months, probably) before I get around to actually using this, but I'm pretty excited for the switch-barrel capability.
29243058_10156001269585631_1723001110_o.jpg

28944447_10156001269545631_999423258_o.jpg

28944243_10156001269030631_1400074753_o.jpg

I'd really like to go ahead and get a manners stock ordered for my Nucleus/barloc build but am unsure about clearances and the like. Looks like if the the stock will clear a Savage barrel nut, it will work the the barloc too.

So a savage small shank barrel with no shoulder will work with the nucleus barloc? Can a savage small shank barrel with a shoulder work with the nucleus barloc?

So a savage small shank barrel with no shoulder will work with the nucleus barloc? Can a savage small shank barrel with a shoulder work with the nucleus barloc?

A savage small shank barrel will work with the Nucleus several ways.

Typical Savage prefit:
1) Barloc style Nucleus lug ---> Barloc ---> Barloc savage barrel nut** ---> Standard prefit barrel

2) Standard Nucleus lug --> Barloc wedge ring ---> Barloc ---> Barloc Savage barrel nut** --> standard prefit barrel

Shouldered Savage barrel***
1) Barloc style Nucleus lug ---> Barloc ---> Barloc wedge ring ---> Shouldered barrel

2) Standard Nucleus lug ---> Barloc wedge ring ---> Barloc ---> Barloc wedge ring ---> Shouldered barrel

** You can machine/modify a standard savage barrel nut the way I did above in lieu of the ARC barrel nut (I'm going to say in most circumstances it's going to be more work/$$ than it's worth unless you have a lathe at your disposal and already have savage nut(s)).

*** Existing Shouldered barrels will need to have the shoulder pushed forward approximately 0.585" to accomodate the barloc system squeezing into the mix.

Thanks for the answer. So buying a standard prefit barrel with no shoulder is the easiest route because I dont have to modify the shoulder?

Easiest is to get a PVA shouldered prefit with or without option for Barloc. I opted for a Nucleus Barloc when I ordered the action, which hopefully I can get exchanged for a Savage barrel nut version for my Nucleus since I bought a Savage prefit.

Yep, or order a shouldered prefit from Josh at Patriot Valley Arms and specify which barloc(lug or ring in the rear) you're using.

Nucleus Barloc comes with a lug and ring? I'm guessing you get to choose which you decide to use? Does one have an advantage over the other?

Easiest is to get a PVA shouldered prefit with or without option for Barloc. I opted for a Nucleus Barloc when I ordered the action, which hopefully I can get exchanged for a Savage barrel nut version for my Nucleus since I bought a Savage prefit.

So I'm confused now. I ordered a Nucleus Barloc with my action from ARC. I then ordered a Savage prefit from PVA, will this not work?

Nucleus Barloc comes with a lug and ring? I'm guessing you get to choose which you decide to use? Does one have an advantage over the other?

There are several models of barlocs. There are different front and back "pieces" to the assembly. The center "clamp" is always the same though. For the NUCLEUS specifically you can get a recoil lug that has the tapered ring built in to the front of it. OR you can run a flat lug that the action ships with and throw a separate tapered ring on the front side.

On the front end of the Barloc you can use either the tapered ring OR the American Rifle Co. Savage prefit style nut

So I'm confused now. I ordered a Nucleus Barloc with my action from ARC. I then ordered a Savage prefit from PVA, will this not work?

It will work. In the worst case you will have to switch the front-most piece of the Barloc (tapered ring or nut). But I'm pretty sure the barloc that comes with the nucleus is set up for savage prefits. Take a look in the Nucleus unveil post, somewhere in there Ted said definitively I believe.

Reactions: Notdylan
^ That makes sense. So if we ordered a Nucleus barreled action w/barloc upgrade from PVA, I'm assuming we are receiving (in order of parts from back to front):

Nucleus action > Recoil lug w/ tapered ring > main barloc clamp piece > tapered ring for nucleus prefit shouldered barrel > shouldered prefit barrel.

Correct? Whew. I've been a good boy and haven't bugged PVA or ARC about this stuff yet. Honestly I'm 99% sure I'll be happy with whatever they send me and I can fine tune it from there. Or whenever they give me a call to finish out my payment since I only have a deposit down as of now.

One more month fellas!

Got a Barloc a week or so ago. It was a standard Barloc. Still no word on my Nucleus/Barloc order.

I dont think we will start seeing Nucleus actions moving until mid April at the earliest. Luckily that is only 2 weeks away. If they dont start moving by then at least we may get somw kind of update by then.

Finally got around to messing with my Barloc. I have an old .260 barrel floating around. It's a Savage prefit by Bugholes. My plan is to have the current 6.5 SAUM barrel modified to work with the Barloc (shouldered style, with 2 tapered rings), as well as ordering another barrel, probably a 16-18" .308 from PVA for throwing tracers and mid-range fuckery, maybe subs if Josh has a 1-8 twist blank. Anyway, I have about 2200 rounds on this .260 barrel and I figured it maybe has another 500-1000 rounds left on it if I wanted to push it. I still have a few loads stashed away in a corner somewhere for it. So I went to see if it would work with the Barloc.

Off the bat, no-go. You're going to need to either modify your savage barrel nut, or order an ARC barrel nut meant for the Barloc. I was going to try to run the shouldered barloc with the savage nut... The Savage nuts have too many threads on them, and not a long enough threaded section of barrel to squeeze the barloc system in. The fix is to lop off the non-keyed portion of the savage nut, then cut away (boring bar) several of the internal threads. I left 5-6 threads on the inside of mine, which should be enough to bear the load. Boring the threads away like this makes a "shelf" that covers up the forward-most barrel threads so it's just smooth barrel infront of the nut, not threads.

Finally, I flipped the nut around and cut a 30 degree chamfer on the back side, which appears to be pretty close to what ARC is using on the tapered rings. Below are a few pictures. It will probably be several weeks (months, probably) before I get around to actually using this, but I'm pretty excited for the switch-barrel capability. View attachment 6885190

View attachment 6885192

View attachment 6885193
I got the rem700 version with recoil lug and barrel nut. They’re a no go for me with CBI barrels, there’s not enough threads to get them to headspace properly. I’m going to see if I can extend the barrel tennon threads a little further.

I got the rem700 version with recoil lug and barrel nut. They’re a no go for me with CBI barrels, there’s not enough threads to get them to headspace properly. I’m going to see if I can extend the barrel tennon threads a little further.

That has to be disappointing. I am going to try to spin up a rifle for a test fit and my Barloc this weekend on a Savage.

I dont think we will start seeing Nucleus actions moving until mid April at the earliest. Luckily that is only 2 weeks away. If they dont start moving by then at least we may get somw kind of update by then.

I don't have any information, but my guess is May for the Nucleus. I am gonna forget about it now and hope to be surprised. This is no better than waiting for a NFA stamp...

Im wondering if PVA has been making the prefit barrels in the meantime so that when the actions ship they can just start sending the barreled actions out too.

Reactions: manki77
@Wyfox Beautiful rifle! So that’s the version for savage pre fits? And it works similar to the bugnut system?

Yes, that's a Proof Research savage prefit. Using a go guage you screw the barrel down on the guage and tighten the nut with the supplied spanner wrench then tighten the barloc screw to 100in/lbs. I did have to remove scope to tighten the barrel nut.

Yes, that's a Proof Research savage prefit. Using a go guage you screw the barrel down on the guage and tighten the nut with the supplied spanner wrench then tighten the barloc screw to 100in/lbs. I did have to remove scope to tighten the barrel nut.

Hmm ok, thinking about trying the shouldered barrel version in hopes that I won’t have to remove the scope. From my understanding though the tenon has to be cut a certain way.

You probably don't need to use a wrench on the nut. Hand snug before tensioning the barloc is probably fine. Or the wrench could be cut so that it doesn't form a complete circle.

Yea, you’ll have to push the tennon shoulder forward to account for the clamp and conical rings thickness

Teds instructions say to tighten the nut until the gap in the barloc is big enough to fit the wrench between(which is pretty tight)

I'll probably take a drum sander to the top of the wrench so i can fit it under the objective.
20180402_180752.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: oakfig
I just trimmed the length of my rail, but if you mill the rail on the bottom side like @Wyfox shows in his picture it can help keep the Barloc from rotating when tightening everything down.

Reactions: oakfig