• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ARCA mount the preferred route?

Radioactiv

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2017
Looking into getting into my first tripod setup. Arca really interest me as they are pretty simple to machine. I run a CNC as a part time hobbiest so any part I see I would rather make myself then spend cash on. Is there any glaring drawbacks to running arca other than having to get a mount for each rifle?

No drawbacks other than some companies don't always make compatible products, even though they say it's Acra Swiss.

Go with RRS, and machine to that standard, and you won't have any issues.

Acra Swiss is becoming very common in the world of Precision Rifle now.

Frank was discussing that on a recent podcast, the ARCA is not a specification and the RRS is.

Correct

There is no Arca swiss standard, there is a Really Right Stuff Dovetail which as a standard supports both. Even the camera people complain about this fact.

So, Stop using term Arca when talking about it, it's wrong.

Arca-Swiss clamp and plate cross-compatibility is a well-known issue among camera manufacturers. There are dozens of manufacturers in the marketplace and 2 distinctly different variations on the style.

The original Arca-Swiss plate and clamps (as on the Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead) is followed very closely by most Chinese and Pacific Rim manufacturers such as Markins, Giotto, Vanguard, Sunwayfoto, etc. These generally feature a thinner plate (with a shallow V-groove with a 45 degree included angle, so the plate can only be mounted from the bottom into a clamp).

North American manufacturers (Jobu Design, Kirk Enterprises, Really Right Stuff, Acra-Tech) have moved away from the original design and approach a different 'standard'. Plates appear to be commonly sourced from 1.5" wide by 3/8" aluminum stock (give or take) and (usually) have a full 90 degree V-groove (dovetail) on the edges of the plates. This allows the clamps to be installed on the bottom or the top of the plate.

Our Jobu Design clamps follow the North American version with an unofficial 'matching' of the Really Right Stuff lever-action clamps, which we have confirmed with their engineers. We repeatedly test our plates against customer samples and produce our plates with go/no-go gauges to ensure we have consistent output in our machining. However, we absolutely DO NOT guarantee fit with ANY other manufacturer's plates or clamps. We simply cannot guarantee it, neither will they guarantee our system will fit theirs. We all operate independently.

Our Jobu Design clamps are designed to operate in a much wider tolerance band than most clamps with a very generous clamping range. We only use a clamping knob (no levers) on our gimbals since it is well known that customers DO mix plates and clamps. With an average cost of $5000-20000USD of equipment mounted on our gimbals, we cannot put any faith in cross-matching plates. Use of lever-clamps is highly UN-recommended in our gimbals.

So what is a customer to do? Stick with one manufacturer, or test out your plates in a safe environment to make sure they clamp safely with adequate overlap of the dovetail. If they don't fit, don't use it.

We'd like to see a new North American Camera Clamp System (NACCS...?) offered as a true standard, with published sizes and tolerances. Anything else is certainly misleading to the consumer.

The way they pull dimensions on that drawing is really odd in some parts. I have a Chinese head to play with in the meantime. Their plate is slightly off so I will use the drawing to base my part around. Ill update when I get a prototype out of the mill, still currently trying to figure how much mlok I want to use to mate it up. Ive seen some plates run a good ~12" while others are just the lenght of the mount.

if you can, you want to run the length of the rail, give yourself only a small amount of room towards the receiver, you can pass the handguard up front to help with the bipod.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarinePMI
I started with some short ones for my ARs with MLok mounts. Chamfer tool when a little crazy on me with a offset but overall was a pretty fun project. Im going to work on one next for my Tikka CTRs stock. Dont have the funs to pickup something nice for it yet.