• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arca rail vs. Ingenuity rail?

Arca. Less flex, connects to tripods and bipods without the need for extra attachments, and the barricade blocks are useless in most situations.

Not sure one is better than the other but Ingenuity makes an attachment that is an Arca rail. I used the ingenuity gunworks system for a while and really liked it. The main advantage was the adjustable barricade stop system. It was pretty quick, and very effective and stabilizing on barricades. Been using the MPA with Arca rail more recently. I mostly just throw a bag on barricades now for support. I think it's just what you get used to and practice with.

Reactions: Dogsniper
Ingenuity is definitely faster to get set up on barricades. I had one on order and after 5 months of waiting for the 3-5 week backorder I finally canceled it and bought the area 419 arca lock.

Arca rail more recently. I mostly just throw a bag on barricades now for support. I think it's just what you get used to and practice with.

^ this.

Seems the heavy Game Changer and similar bags really killed the need for most of the slower barricade devices. That said the 1.5" dovetails (Arca style rails) provide a nice flat spot for a bag, allow the bipods to move just about anywhere for small foot print situations and easy tripod attachment. If you still like barricade blocks XLR and other still make 1.5" adjustable barricade and pipe locks. Not much of a downside to the 1.5" dovetails.

With all of the attachments available, they essentially do the same thing now. No 'barricade blocks' from any company will lock up on any object that's not square/solid anyways. I jumped on the IG rail early, and love it. Its rock-solid on barricades/square objects, and the bipod slider is super fast to adjust.

I disagree to the heavier bags killed the need for barricade clamps. My arca lock clamp is way faster and more stable than my gamechanger or tactical udder.

Reactions: reubenski
I disagree to the heavier bags killed the need for barricade clamps. My arca lock clamp is way faster and more stable than my gamechanger or tactical udder.

On how many different type of obstacles? How many stages are square like one tie beaker barricade stage?

Maybe I missed the point, but I assumed the OP "Which is better? And why. Thanks " might apply to more that one stage. Give me a choice to have one or the other for the entire match, NRL/PRS, field match or hunting, I am taking a 1.5" dove tail (Arca style, 419, Henderson, MPA, Hrd Gear etc) over the the other every time. While I can still use barricade blocks, I don't even mess with the added weight.

I believe you missed the point because my comment is in regards to using bags on barricades vs running a clamp on an arca rail for barricades. Diver 160651 believes that clamps are no longer needed. because of shooting bags. Its completely off topic from the op

I believe you missed the point because my comment is in regards to using bags on barricades vs running a clamp on an arca rail for barricades. Diver 160651 believes that clamps are no longer needed. because of shooting bags. Its completely off topic from the op

How is ARCA is more flexible for 95% of the match shooting and 100% better for field shooting than the Integrity, off topic to the op's original question?

Also, I'm sorry but when I am at a match, I rarely see anyone using the blocks anymore. Maybe watch a guy like Jake V on youtube, running the only barricade stage and speed tie beaker on a PRS barricade stage. Sure you can forget targets with a large FOF or the tires, angled fences, windows, roof tops and all the the stuff were bags are better if you want, but that's not smart. BTW I am talking about the real guys at the matches not a youtube commercials showing how great a barricade block is.

Again if barricade blocks are your thing you can easily use them on them on the ARCA type rails.

I have an area 419 arca lock rail. You are right on the only time I use my clamp is on the skills stage. The matches I go to i see a decent amount of guys running clamps. Bags are definitely more popular. Now the op just wants to know if an Arca rail or an ingenuity rail is better.

I don't use the baracade gates. I do like the idea of rail length bipod adjustment and tripod attach with no flex.
Thanks for the coments. Keep it them coming. Are they both high quality as far as attachments go. Any Major price difference?

I like that with everything removed the ingenuity leaves the front of your stock feeling nice in your hand. It pretty much looks and feels like a stock with no rail.

Can't say I've ever seen a top level shooter use "barricade blocks" or any other gizmos at any of the PRS matches I've been to. More the low to mid level pack which either don't practice or realize how quick, efficient and accurate you can be with just a bag. Less is more, even in PRS.

ARCA rail and bag every time over IG rail.

Reactions: Wade
Obviously bags are WAY more versatile, and I use my tac udder more than the blocks. BUT, on the very few stages that are stable enough to clamp to, i'll always use the blocks. Again, i think the sliding bipod mount is far more useful, and with all of the IG accessories removed, i still have a flat bottom stock, just like an arca rail.

I honestly dont think can can go wrong with either, they do the same thing.

I've tried barricade blocks and always found it to be more hassle than it was worth trying to get them sized just right. If it's on a 2x4 I can gauge it with the palm of my hand, but on other stages it's a pain unless you're allowed to get up close. I just strap an udder to my rifle and free recoil it since a heavy rifle means it won't budge while you're aiming it that way.

I see utility in ability to move your bipod to shoot off of shorter objects like a 55 gallon drum. I see the utility in an RRS tripod mounting point. As far as the blocks I agree with kthomas. The top shooters never mess with them. I have seen more stages blown because of them than helped. In my experience a simple Arca/RRS rail would be the better than paying extra for something you'll use less and less as you gain experience.

The IGW rail has any dovetail or ARCA rail system beat when it comes to speed and lock up. Also due to the design of the blocks on the IGW rail they handle off angle shots much better than ARCA blocks. Until the Area 419 ARCA lock rail you could have blocks or bipod adaptors move under recoil. That cannot happen with the IGW rail. The bipod adaptor on the IGW rail also is faster and easier to use than any other system. Rail systems are shipping now from Ingenuity Gunworks. It’s taken a bit with the new machine to get caught up but I believe most backorders have been filled now and those waiting on bipod adaptors those are bring anodized and should be back shortly.

Now I have been running the IGW system for some time now and I still use a gamechanger for most barricades but if the barricade is made of steel or real solid I always use the blocks. It’s just solid and tough to beat. Thing I like the most though is the bipod adaptor and how fast I can move it if I need to go from the end of the forend to closer in on the chassis to fit on a barrel or wire spool.

Ingenuity Gunworks also has an ARCA adaptor if needed but coming soon will be ARCA rails that the IGW rail fits in. XLR did a couple custom ENVY chassis cut so I could run the IGW rail flush on the bottom and it’s great system with both. With interest XLR may make that an option on the ENVY.

Reactions: Krebaum
This is a little barricade block that I ran on a short desmond arca rail 4 or 5 years ago,(wasnt many arca rail options available then). Got the job done then, but obviously not as fast as the ingenuity appears to be. Running a gamechanger now that I adapted with a pivoting arca clamp, works for me. I do like the concept of the ingenutiy rail, but I will stick with the arca on my krg. 20190103_201903.jpg420190103_201840.jpg20190103_201903.jpg

From what most are saying I should just keep the igw rail that is on the stock I bought and buy the pic bipod attachment. Then, practice,practice, practice ?
Thanks fo the replies.

So you have owned both and prefer IGW.?
I do prefer the IGW rail over ARCA rails except for when it comes to clamping into a tripod. The IGW ARCA adaptor does work very well and I use one on my hunting rifle but given the option a full ARCA rail is nice and IGW will have ARCA rails coming out for the IGW rail shortly after Shot Show.

Attachments

• D1C5BFF6-21DD-4D28-ABA2-75303A9D1AF4.jpeg
    D1C5BFF6-21DD-4D28-ABA2-75303A9D1AF4.jpeg
    729.2 KB · Views: 91
So, here’s my take on it after about 6mo if competition and several thousand rounds with arca and ingenuity rails.

If you have a stock or chassis such as manners or j Allen the ingenuity rail mounts flush to, I prefer ingenuity for the speed and peace of mind the bipod can’t fall off by accident like an arca rail can.

If it’s something like an AI, I’d look at an arca system that is wider. The ingenuity doesn’t mount flush and isn’t as wide as the chassis forearm. When the ingenuity arca rail add on releases, this might change.

This opinion is based solely on bipod movement speed and retention as well as having a wide flat bottom for most shooting situations.

As for the barricade stops on ingenuity(or any of them for that matter):

I thought they were cool as shit at first and loved clamping them to barricades and cattle gates.

As I have gotten(and continue to learn) better, I’ve all but stopped using them and just use a bag or the rifle forearm.

I think the barricade stops will help the beginner have impact numbers go up to the intermediate level, but once the shooters skill level gets to intermediate or better, the barricade stops start hitting a big diminishing return wall. In many cases you will be faster on PRS barricade just using a bag or skid plate.

Also, using stops on a stage can pigeon hole you or at least really throw a wrench in your plan.

Example:

I was shooting a match at a ranch I’ve shot before. The last match when it came to PRS barricade I used my stops and cleaned the stage in 50s or so. The target was directly in front of the barricade at 400 or whatever range at about 12 o’clock.

This time there was quite a bit of rain in the fields and the normal target was covered by water. So we had to use a target that was at 2 o’clock(guessing, as I don’t remember exactly, it was to the right).

I went to the barricade with no bag and threw the rifle up there, locked it in, and didn’t have enough range of motion to get good sight picture without jamming my shoulder and pulling the rifle extremely hard to the left to move the muzzle right. I barely finished the stage in the 1:45 we had.

Had I just used a bag, I could have adapted quicker to the then changed environment.

So, to reiterate, if you can mount flush and don’t mind the extra cash, go ingenuity for the bipod speed. And you’ll have the stops for the rare instances you need them.

Non flush, go arca.

And if you go arca regardless, you ain’t losing much. Just don’t let your bipod fall off.