• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arca Swiss/RRS 1.5" dovetail - cheap(er) vs RRS

drew_235

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 22, 2019
Minnesota
There is another thread where a RRS staff member discusses the differences in tolerances and standards of the Arca Swiss dovetail components and their desire to standardize them. Near the end of the video, there is a demonstration of a QD clamp and a dovetail that doesn't meet specifications sliding out of it. This all makes sense to me so far and jives with people saying that the RRS dovetail brackets are the best of the best. However, if I'm not using a QD clamp and instead a more basic twist lock clamping device, does it really matter? Wouldn't an extra 1/16 of a twist make up for any dimensional inaccuracies, negating the difference between a $50 mounting plate and a $10 mounting plate?

That is kind of a slam dunk style answer you provided. If you can get those to work in a RRS QD clamp, then there absolutely won't be any issues with them working in non-QD clamps. Thank you!

I have a Syke Pod and an MPA chassis. They barely clamp together, I don't trust it but I don't know which is wrong. Tolerance is important.

I have a Syke Pod and an MPA chassis. They barely clamp together, I don't trust it but I don't know which is wrong. Tolerance is important.

Do you mean this? A Cyke Pod? If so, does it have a QD lever or a twist lock? I'm not too familiar with either of those product lines, but for their prices, they should work and I'm sorry that yours are not.

Yes but I bought direct, right before MDT became involved.

It has the same Arca clamp as pictured.

I think MPA radiuses the bottom of their rail so the dovetails barely engage.

Along the same line, can anyone confirm if the Feisol quick release plates are compatible with RRS dovetail standard.

The Arca Swiss 1.5” dovetail was created in the 90’s for the cameras and telephoto lenses. RRS and others are just copying it and adding a 400% markup b/c it goes on a gun instead of a camera. The $10 Amazon version works fine. In fact, I just spent $35 for the components on Amazon for an 8” arca rail and an adapter with an arca clamp for my bipod that will work on any standard 1.5” dovetail system. The equivalent setup from Area419, while slightly more fashionable, would cost $180 + shipping. You decide.

I definitely have seen some arca-swiss plates have different dimensions... and will slide out of the RRS QD and others.

Try to buy the SAME BRAND is my advice... for example, I use RRS clamps, so I buy RRS plates.