• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Archery question bow for 10 yr old

SPfeiffer

GHOST
Minuteman
May 1, 2011
Athens Co Ohio
First of all I know nothng about archery..
I have a 10 yr old boy that loves to shoot and has decided that he wants a bow for Christmas. He has a youth 22 a youth 20 ga stoeger airsoft guns and a tomahawk that he sticks in everything but the house. my theory is get him something decent and if he likes it he will continue with it. If I get him a POS he will not like it and never pick it up.
What do I get him that is not wasted money if it ends up collecting dust but is nice enough to spark some interest if he uses it.

Re: Archery question bow for 10 yr old

Fred Bear Apprentice. Little more expensive than the genesis but one he can grow and challenge himself with.

Mission Craze(Matthews made)is what my kids shoot. Fully adjustable draw without a bow press that you can change as he grows. These bows will last him until he is an adult. My 10 yr old son's goes from about 19-30" draw length and 15-70#.

go to a site called Archerytalk.com and look around, this question has come up a number of times.

either of the two bows mentioned are great.

Number one thing...get his draw length set properly. Many people are shooting bows that are a little long or a little short.

Oh, if he is going to shoot with a release, it doesn't change his draw length...don't buy into that crap. Your DL is what ever it is, your release type doesn't change that. What does change is your anchor point. Now, as he grows, his DL will change and should be adjusted accordingly. Also, his DL will change as he gets stronger and learns to shoot with back tension.

Don't have him shooting with too heavy a bow...15# is fine for a while. It's best that he learns proper from than to show off how strong he is.

If he wants to hunt, he doesn't need a heavy # bow...plenty of deer have been taken with a 30#'s and less.

Go traditional and make him a real archer, PLEASE. 2d the Fred Bear. Or look for a nice, straight, wood limbed recurve in pawn shops or garage sales in the 30-35 lb range, 52" long.

I like the idea of a youngster learning on a traditional bow first, then expanding to a compound bow. There is just something about teaching a kid to string their bow and then watching the arrows fly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oshi Shinobu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go traditional and make him a real archer, PLEASE. 2d the Fred Bear. Or look for a nice, straight, wood limbed recurve in pawn shops or garage sales in the 30-35 lb range, 52" long. </div></div>

Amen!

I learned this way, put down archery for almost 20 years and when I picked it back up I had no trouble whatsoever hitting the centers on a 3D course my first day out.

OP - Send me a PM and I'll look around as I may still have a fiberglass bow that I shot with around his age. If I still have it, I would be happy to send it over on the agreement that it gets paid forward when he outgrows it. I can look this weekend for it if you're interested.

Hoyt ruckus, its what my wife started out with shot very good and i think with payed 250 and that was bow, rest, sight, release, and half dozen arrows