• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Archery turkeys

ARP

Predators NightMare
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2008
Greenwood, AR
This question comes up often so I thought I would write a little bit about exactly where to shoot a turkey when you are using your archery equipment. The green dots on the pictures are the proper shot locations to put the turkey down quick. With turkeys I highly recommend that you shoot a large diameter mechanical broadhead and I also very highly recommend the 1 3/4 inch Grim Reaper RazorTip. It is pure death on the gobblers.

This is the typical sideways strutting gobbler shot. If you will pay close attention to this picture you will notice that the feathers make a football shaped patch high up on the gobblers back. This football shaped patch is exactly where you will want to place your arrow. The lungs on a gobbler sit right up against the backbone and are only about 1/2 inch wide x 2.5 inches long. A very small target. If you put your broadhead right through this football you will take the gobbler down very very fast. You can NOT hit the gobbler here and hit the gobbler too high to be deadly.

690c8f55.png

This is a gobbler that is quartering towards you. If you look closely at a gobbler in this position you will notice that the feathers come together and make a Y shaped crease at the leading edge of the football shaped patch that we highlighted in the previous picture. The place where the Y makes this crease of feathers is your target for this type of shot.

8e471c28.png

This is a picture of a gobbler that is facing you. Your target here will be right on top of the place where the beard is attached to the gobbler. You can hit the gobbler from the beard up to the neck and still have a very deadly shot. You do NOT want to hit the gobbler lower than the beard.

b75ecf4e.png

Here is a quartering towards you shot with a slight angle. This one is nearly frontal but with the slight quarter you will adjust your shot to hit right between the Y crease for the quartering and the beard. If you will also look closely I have dotted the hens in the picture too for the walking away shot placement. If you will pay attention to the turkey as it is walking away from you then you will notice that the feathers on the turkey will change colors about mid back. This is your target zone. You will want to center your arrow directly on the color change of the feathers.

59d64b9c.png

This is the rear strutter gobbler and the shot here is made right where the tail feathers come together at the base. A shot placed here will anchor the turkey on the spot. DRT.

10f11229.png

Imagine that you have an orange suspended within a basketball and you can't see the orange. This is what you are trying to hit when you are bowhunting turkeys. You have to be able to visualize this orange even though you can't see it. Then you have to pass your arrow right through the orange every time. If you guys have any questions about bowhunting turkeys or just bowhunting in general then ask away. I have been bowhunting for about 30 years so have gained a little knowledge that I can share. I also have a Grand Slam of Archery turkeys to my name which was tons of funs getting.

Greg

Re: Archery turkeys

I don't like the guillotines myself, but others love em. You get to see the success stories, but there are a lot of failures you don't often get to see. I consider a miss or a non-immediate lethal hit a failure too. You can also check out the Magnus Bullhead.

Here is an example of a guillotine failure. These happen quite often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&feature=related&hl=en-GB&v=bkvwU4t0bp4

scan0036-4.jpg

Good intel ARP! Kinda got me thinking about wacking a turkey this spring with a bow......

Here's a Merriams a bud arrowed a few years back. The arrows I'm holding are equiped with expandable broadheads....

-1 on the Gobbler Guillotines, too many issues. +1 on the Magnus Bullheads, much stronger. I lopped a gobblers head off a few seasons ago with a Hrim Reaper razor tip. We start our season here in MO on April 16th. I would like to take at least 1 of my 2 toms with my new PSE Evo 7.

I am seriously considering an EVO 6 this year myself. Awesome bow.

Here are my twins. Identical PSE Axe 6s. One for deer and the other for turkeys. The deer bow is duracoated with deer skulls camo and the turkey bow in ground blind ninja black with turkey tracks and silhouettes on it.

TwinAxwLeft.jpg

My bad, but that was the first thing I thought of when using a bow for turkeys. I have never hunted turkeys, but I would like to, especially with a bow. Are the two bows setup differently ARP?

They are set up nearly identical except that the deer bow is / was a 70 pound bow and the turkey bow is a 60 pound bow. I have since changed the limbs on the deer bow to also be 60 pounders due to a shoulder issue. I painted those limbs to look like carbon fiber.

I have also changed both rests to be the Limbdriver Pro Vs since these pics were taken.

CarbonAxe6.jpg

I picked up a Hoyt Carbon Matrix this past fall to use for Turkey. It is my first foray into the world of archery.

Time to start prepping for the 2013 archery turkey season ....

ARP, great post Thanks!. Between this and some other reading an talking I did with some guys at my archery shop it helped me last spring.
Got this bird down in TX. Shot was as described in #1 with exception of being on the bird's left side. Rangefinder said 35yrds
Bow: Pearson TX4 70lbs
Bhead: Grim Reaper 2"
Anxious for our spring season to get here in May. Want to get an Eastern with the stick launcher now.
DSC_0056_zps6a00d8fd.jpg

Almost that time again. I need to inventory the turkey vest and surface my slate calls. I got the address of some birds on our ground. We have had some really good hatches here the last few years and I'm looking for big hooks this year! Good luck to all of you turkey chasers out there and be safe!

Our turkey population near me is horrible. So horrible that I have not went out to hunt them for a couple three years now and have been traveling to other locations to do turkey hunting. While I could definitely still kill a gobbler here if I went, I just can't justify doing so if the population still sucks. At some point even though they are still running the season a hunter has to take the high road and voluntarily stand down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our turkey population near me is horrible. So horrible that I have not went out to hunt them for a couple three years now and have been traveling to other locations to do turkey hunting. While I could definitely still kill a gobbler here if I went, I just can't justify doing so if the population still sucks. At some point even though they are still running the season a hunter has to take the high road and voluntarily stand down. </div></div>

I hunt central Missouri in and around the Ozark Mountains and turkeys always seem to be in really strong numbers there. Lots of public land there too.