• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arcteryx Beta AR jacket

Tony1320

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Does anyone have experience with an Arcteryx Beta AR jacket? Looking to buy one as a winter jacket and use it for cold or rainy matches

I have one, its really good at repelling water and keeping you dry. But has no insulation in it. So you would need to get a mid-layer to go underneath and won't keep you warm by itself it is cold outside and you aren't moving around a lot.

Granted some of that is determined exactly where you live and how cold the winters get.

I have some style of Arcteryx I bought back abouts 2000.

Goretex, Structured hood, zipper garages, velcro storm flap, pit zips, roomy chest pockets that when zipped close it looks like you have nipple tassels.

It has been a fantastic jacket. Still going strong, just starting to have the hood "structure wire" poke through the fabric and in a place or two there is some fabric delamination. exterior still looks great though.

Lots of hikes, lots of skiing, a few gun classes, lots of vacation, lots of walking around local.

They were made in Canada back than.

I wont buy another Arcteryx jacket, or Cannondale bike for that matter, that has made in China on the tag.

Check out the LEAF line.

Reactions: Krazy_jim
I have one, its really good at repelling water and keeping you dry. But has no insulation in it. So you would need to get a mid-layer to go underneath and won't keep you warm by itself it is cold outside and you aren't moving around a lot.

Granted some of that is determined exactly where you live and how cold the winters get.

I live in Canada it can get pretty cold here. Sounds like it would be a great 3 season jacket

I’ve got the Beta AR, had the Theta AR and Alpha LT. Arcteryx makes good stuff. LEAF line is nice that @pmclaine mentioned but sometimes the pricing can be a bit much unless you are a LEO, Mil/Vet. For matches why not get some surplus goretex, save the money if that’ll be you’re only use.

I’ve got the Beta AR, had the Theta AR and Alpha LT. Arcteryx makes good stuff. LEAF line is nice that @pmclaine mentioned but sometimes the pricing can be a bit much unless you are a LEO, Mil/Vet. For matches why not get some surplus goretex, save the money if that’ll be you’re only use.

Would like to use the same jacket for daily use too. Been looking at Arcteryx jacket for a while now

I'm not LEO so leaf is probably out of the question

Beta AR is nice. I liked the Theta AR I had for daily use... little longer in the back. Some of their ’cuts’ are very athletic and limit layering so you may need to size up if not in athletic shape. Where you’re from Canada maybe you can find an outlet local where some of their gear is still made there.

I live in Canada it can get pretty cold here. Sounds like it would be a great 3 season jacket

Sounds like that would be a better use for you. Looking at their site they have a few other insulated jackets that are also waterproof.

My understanding, from reading their website, is that their philosophy is about layering rather than having everything in one layer except for specific circumstances.

I would also echo the comments of @USMC22 try and find a place you can try them on. The sizing can be a bit different between the types of jackets. My beta AR is a small and has lost of room for a mid layer in between. I also have a Zeta FL jacket in Medium and is it really close fitting and can barely fit a light hoodie underneath it.

Reactions: Habu34 and USMC22
The Law Enforcement Armed Forces line from Arc'teryx is where you want to spend your money. The place I have found to buy LEAF items is from US Elite Gear as they are the biggest US distributor and routinely have older models on closeout in addition to running entire line sales in Nov/Dec and May.

I have several pieces of LEAF gear and I snagged a non-LEAF Beta LT jacket this Spring for over half off. Unless you have found a similar deal and are somewhat skinny; then I'd save your money to buy the LEAF ALPHA Jacket LT when it's on sale:

Remember it's just a shell and will need some layer(s) under it like the LEAF Atom LT hoody/jacket vest and a base layer under that.

add this when it's REALLY cold:

Note that you will not have to order the shell component in a larger size as the ALPHA SV & LT shells are both sized to wear an ATOM LT hoody/jacket/vest or COLD WX LT hoody/jacket under them.

Im a climber and so lightweight high performance gear is a must for me. I own several Arcteryx jackets. The Beta AR is a soft shell with little to no insulation. Just a soft lining. It will only kee you warm with the addition of a fleece layer. Be sure to fit it accordingly, Arteryx stuff is built for trim, athletic people. I’m 145lb 5’11” and I wear a large.
I personally don’t wear a Beta because when it comes to soft shells, I get the same performance out of a Marmot at 1/3 the price. Soft shells are simple pieces of gear. Most of the better quality ones are very similar. I spend money on Arteryx insulating layers and fast light jackets to take into the mountains. That’s where they shine. Also in their gore Tex stuff. Worth the money if you have the need for it. But the reality is that just as with precision rifles, clothing tech has come so far that you can get 99% of the performance of many Arcteryx pieces at 1/3 or less cost. Check out REI house brand. Marmot and in particular Outdoor Research. Id avoid North Face unless you know their lines really well. Much of their stuff is geared fashion market to take advantage of name recognition and it’s not all created equal.

For mountaineering stuff, I’ve got the Patagonia R1, Arcteryx Atom LT, Cerium LT, and Alpha SV. Different combinations of that can cover anything. They’re stupidly priced, even after the 40% discounts I’ve gotten them all at. I wouldn’t use that stuff for shooting though, personally. Their hardshells are quite tough but hot brass won’t be kind to it. That said, I think it’d work great if you don’t mind the risk. I’m 5’10 175, fit, and the Medium is appropriate size for me (allowing the Cerium LT under the Alpha SV). I just wear my carhartt when shooting though.

If you care about where it’s made, I believe the Alpha SV is the only thing still made in Canada.

Reactions: Puget Shooter
Outlet is having a sale.....

@USMC22 had a good point about surplus GI goretex.

I bought a goretex USMC ECWS style jacket from @LAR Dragoon on here.

It actually feels more substantial than the Arctyrex.

Of course that also means weight.

Its also woodland so you kind of stand out in "polite society".

With society becoming less polite though camo may be just the thing.

Just packed mine tonight for a 4 day camp trip my son and I are going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: USMC22
PS the outlet email I received included this.....

Apply code
P14S392196Y
at checkout.

The Law Enforcement Armed Forces line from Arc'teryx is where you want to spend your money. The place I have found to buy LEAF items is from US Elite Gear as they are the biggest US distributor and routinely have older models on closeout in addition to running entire line sales in Nov/Dec and May.

I have several pieces of LEAF gear and I snagged a non-LEAF Beta LT jacket this Spring for over half off. Unless you have found a similar deal and are somewhat skinny; then I'd save your money to buy the LEAF ALPHA Jacket LT when it's on sale:

Remember it's just a shell and will need some layer(s) under it like the LEAF Atom LT hoody/jacket vest and a base layer under that.

Note that you will not have to order the shell component in a larger size as the ALPHA SV & LT shells are both sized to wear an ATOM LT hoody/jacket/vest or COLD WX LT hoody/jacket under them.

I'm from Canada so I can't order from them

Outlet is having a sale.....

@USMC22 had a good point about surplus GI goretex.

I bought a goretex USMC ECWS style jacket from @LAR Dragoon on here.

It actually feels more substantial than the Arctyrex.

Of course that also means weight.

Its also woodland so you kind of stand out in "polite society".

With society becoming less polite though camo may be just the thing.

Just packed mine tonight for a 4 day camp trip my son and I are going on.

I never knew about outlet looks like this is official arcteryx??

Great link thanks

I purchased first SV’s when they were very hard to get for myself and wife.
First jackets with waterproof zippers and many other features.
Absolutely bomb proof.
But they shrink over the years (Joke), I think I am on my third because of size increase!
Yes, some pieces are made in China, knockoffs and outright fakes abound but the SV is still THE BEST!
Purchase LEAF or Arcteryx on sale or eBay.
-Richard

For those of you aware and not aware of a brand called Beyond Clothing, I have about 10 pair of their CLS PCU L5 Cold Fusion Shock Soft Shell Pants size Med Reg (coyote). This is a genuine pair of US Navy SEAL-issued Cold Fusion Softshell Pants in a Men's size Medium Regular (MR). Made by Beyond Clothing as Level 5 of the CLS/PCU Layering system, this pair is brand new with the retail tags still attached.

Beyond clothing PCU level 5 softshell pants. The PCU system was designed for special operations units and consisted of 7 levels or layers. Made of tweave durastretch with an inner fleece lining these are both warm and tough. The waist is fully adjustable to go bigger or smaller with velcro tabs. Zippered pockets and up the leg to easily donne with boots. Original price $450 a pair.
$180 shipped!

Attachments

• BC1.jpg
    BC1.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 71
  • BC2.jpg
    BC2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 66
  • BC3.jpg
    BC3.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 67
  • BC4.jpg
    BC4.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 76
  • BC5.jpg
    BC5.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 68
  • BC6.jpg
    BC6.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 65
  • BC7.jpg
    BC7.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 61
For those of you aware and not aware of a brand called Beyond Clothing, I have about 10 pair of their CLS PCU L5 Cold Fusion Shock Soft Shell Pants size Med Reg (coyote). This is a genuine pair of US Navy SEAL-issued Cold Fusion Softshell Pants in a Men's size Medium Regular (MR). Made by Beyond Clothing as Level 5 of the CLS/PCU Layering system, this pair is brand new with the retail tags still attached.

Beyond clothing PCU level 5 softshell pants. The PCU system was designed for special operations units and consisted of 7 levels or layers. Made of tweave durastretch with an inner fleece lining these are both warm and tough. The waist is fully adjustable to go bigger or smaller with velcro tabs. Zippered pockets and up the leg to easily donne with boots. Original price $450 a pair.
$180 shipped!
Do ya have a website or FB page for inventory, or do we wait for postings here?

Arcteryx has become the go to Gucci of the lift line, and quality has been a little suspect lately. I have an old Paclite shell that’s been around the world a couple times. Best do it all layer I’ve ever owned.

Im buying Mammut or Helly Hansen stuff mostly these days. Good performance for half the cost of Arcteryx. If you really think your going to be out in some crazy weather and it literally life or death, then maybe Arc/LEAF makes more sense.

KUIU and Firstlite often have deals and they make some pretty decent stuff

Do ya have a website or FB page for inventory, or do we wait for postings here?

All my cold weather gear is Arcteryx. I have the Naga hoody, Atom hoody, and LEAF Alpha top and bottom shells. You can't go wrong with this layering system. Only thing I'm missing is the Atom bottoms.

I went with the Beta AR and added an Atom LT jacket for a mid layer

Reactions: ManOfMystery
Nice choice. I'm looking to get a new mid layer myself. I was thinking of the Thorium AR.

Curious to hear your thoughts after using it.

I'll let you know after I try it out

I went back and fourth between the Atom ar and Atom lt for a mid layer but ended up choosing the lt because it's suppose to be more versatile and not as puffy as the ar for layering. I run cold compared to most people so well see if its warm enough

Reactions: ManOfMystery
For those who care - Arteryx is Chineseium - not just China made, but Chi_Na owned.

I have worn my Beta throughout the Colorado Rockies and through Greenland up into north of the arctic circle. It has served me well and still does to this day.

Reactions: Tony1320
I'm a massive Arc 'Teryx fan and have a closet full of the stuff (I only buy on sale) but don't overlook Outdoor Research. I have beat this stuff and it refuses to die - a WA headquartered company and much easier on the wallet.

Wild Things Gear, great performance and Berry Compliant....

I have some style of Arcteryx I bought back abouts 2000.

Goretex, Structured hood, zipper garages, velcro storm flap, pit zips, roomy chest pockets that when zipped close it looks like you have nipple tassels.

It has been a fantastic jacket. Still going strong, just starting to have the hood "structure wire" poke through the fabric and in a place or two there is some fabric delamination. exterior still looks great though.

Lots of hikes, lots of skiing, a few gun classes, lots of vacation, lots of walking around local.

They were made in Canada back than.

I wont buy another Arcteryx jacket, or Cannondale bike for that matter, that has made in China on the tag.

Check out the LEAF line.

Cannondales are now being made in China??? Please say it ain’t so.

I was issued Arcteryx Alpha top and bottom a number of years ago and still use and abuse them at work. I love the Atom AR and LT and find them to be a great balance of value/weight/insulation.
I am a firm believer and teacher of the three W layering: Wicking, Warming, and Weather. My go-to's are: Wicking-Marino wool base layer, Warming- Atom LT or AR, Weather- Arcteryx Alpha or Beyond Gore-Tex at work, Outdoor Research Gore-Tex if I have to purchase it.
If exposure is limited or I am being lazy, I'll grab a softshell jacket or Patagonia Das Parka if it is really cold or static work.

Wild Things Gear, great performance and Berry Compliant....
I love their gear. They used to have an outlet with limited fabricating about an hour away from me. Bought A LOT of clearance, one-offs, and R&D stuff from them. My wife bought even more than I did. I am pretty sure she has jackets and vests in every color they ever produced.

My favorite piece of kit from them is the Happy Booties. I have treated a lot of chilblains cases by throwing the patient's feet in those.

I went with the Beta AR and added an Atom LT jacket for a mid layer
Great choice. I’m a firm believer the Atom LT may be the best mid-layer ever made.

- Weighs next to nothing
- Breathes
- The opposite of bulky, preventing elbow and armpit binding.... which I despise.
- Works as stand alone, cuts wind and light rain... just don’t wade through a briar patch. It’s not a Carhartt.

Reactions: bunsen27

^^ all this

Great choice. I’m a firm believer the Atom LT may be the best mid-layer ever made.

+1 its amazingly versatile. all over the lower 48 from alpine summits to desert canyons.

edit: mine is not made in china

Last edited:
So, Chinese-owned investment consortium buys Finnish-based/run company that owns Canadian-based/run company...that includes Arc’teryx and Saloman. I guess Anta Sports got good taste. :LOL: )

Chinese investors buying stuff at cyclic rate...land, companies, etc.

Still love my Arc’Teryx stuff, most of which is made outside Canada. Wife loves her Beta and Atom too.

Last edited: