• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ARD design -- response to questions -- how to

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
I have a couple of scopes FS on the Hide PX. No interest in the scopes, but so far have had a lot of PM's on the ARD design for the scope. So here are some pictures and build pix of one I built this morning for my new USO.

It's actually less of an ARD than it is a way to disrupt the "big black circle" at the front of a scope. I used to make these out of duct tape and cardboard, but decided I could do a longer lasting version out of aluminum. Having my own machine tools on the farm helps (I grew up w. 3 TV stations and one of those was French. But we had a full machine shop on the farm... so playing with mills/lathes is just fun.)

So here are some pictures of making one for my new T-Pal.

Finished unit on the front of a Leup Mk 4. Built a couple of years ago.
ascope7.jpg

Starting with a USO 2" sunshade. Cutting it back to about an inch.

ard1.jpg

Turn up a disk for the front of the sunshade on the lathe and cut off. I recess the back. Forgot to take a picture of that. But you will get the idea in later pictures. Set up on mill and cut window. I wanted something irregular and open enough not to block much light. A DRO really helps, but not necessary for those who know how to use the scales on the handles.

ard2.jpg

With a Ball-nose end mill, you can dimple the face at random. Or cut grooves. Or shot peen it. Just do something to disrupt reflections. Or not. Paint probably works fine.

ard3.jpg

Glue some wires in the back. Again, necessary? Not so sure, but it sort of works like the old field-expedient birds nest. And keeps debris out of the front. I have some honeycomb, but didn't use it because the 'repeating' pattern can cause issues with light. The small random wires don't cause any problems. This blocks very little light. And it's only intended for bright daylight.

ard4.jpg

Glue the disk in the front of the cut-off sunshade. I use JB KWIK, but use whatever you like. Most epoxies are fine.

ard5.jpg

Prime and paint however you like.

ard7.jpg

I've made about 20 of these and given them to other LEO M/O's who I met at schools and who liked the design. It costs virtually nothing to make, works great to break up the front of the scope. Doesn't block much light (and actually is an enhancement in bright sunlight... reducing glare.)

Enjoy and have fun if you want to make one.

Cheers,

Sirhr