• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes ARD/sunshade?

sawman556

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2012
Bucks County, PA USA
Is there any reason one would find the need to use a ARD with a sunshade? Or can you get away without using a sunshade by just using a ARD? Sorry for the stupid FNG question. Thanks.

Re: ARD/sunshade?

an ARD is not so much for anti sun glare, it's to dampen the reflection of your objective lens from the view of the bad guys, an ard is only needed for the very sniperiest of snipery ops

Thanks for your help. I was just wondering if using an ARD would eliminate the need for a long ass sunshade? Do they cut out as much sun glare as a sunshade?

I'm not very "snipery" but I don't want to show up at the mall without the coolest shit.
cool.gif

will an ARD dampen the sun glare, sure a little, but not near as well as a full sun shade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will an ARD dampen the sun glare, sure a little, but not near as well as a full sun shade </div></div>

That's what I needed to know. Thanks, man!

If you get one of the ARDs that is an inch thick or so (like USO makes or some of the nicer screw-on Tenebrex) then it can be as effective at cutting indirect glare as a sunshade that's twice a long. Getting the ones that just clip onto the end of your objective like a little filter don't do much (in regards to glare.)

I have a bushnell elite 3200 and have the butler creek scope caps with ARD and the ARD really cuts down the optic clarity or brightness i see through the scope.

Just FYI.

Heath

I have a mark4,with the tenebrex ard and I did notice that I lost a little brightness.There's also the price difference between the ard and a sunshade to consider.

I have a tenebrex ard on a leupold mk IV 4.5-14x40, the reason I installed it was to minimize reflection off the scope lens, I use it on a rem 700 tactical ( 20" ) that I use when calling coyotes and the whole set up is camouflaged so I didn't want a shiny glass in front of it, however after using it a few times it's probably not staying on the scope for too long, like somebody else already said it, it cuts down the light gathering and brightness of the scope which is a big detriment for what I use it for. It looks cool tho...lol

I have a USO ARD in my sun shade from USO and have noticed what was previously stated about brightness and such. Anyone know how or if a USO ARD comes out of a USO sun shade? I'm afraid if I try the wrong way I'll break the ARD.

Thanks.

The ARD is much better then a Sun shade for blocking the sun/light. They say a ARD is equivalent to a 7inch sun shade and I believe it. Sometimes the ARD blocks out more light then I would like it too. You are still able to get a clear image and all but its much dimmer and the colors seem different.