• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are all AI AW (factory) threaded barrels M18x1.5?

racingmars

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
I have a question about the barrel threads on a new AI AW .308. The rifle came from the factory with 26" threaded barrel and standard muzzle brake.

I know that they have traditionally had M18x1.5 metric threads. But I saw over on the Thunder Beast Arms FAQ that some AIs have shipped with US-made barrels with different threads. Not sure if that comment applies to AEs or AWs or both.

If AWs might ship with different threads, I'd expect to see different part numbers for AI accessories such as the muzzle brake and thread protectors, but I don't see any evidence of that.

So... does anyone know if a new AI AW .308 from the factory will always have M18x1.5 metric threads or do I need to do some more digging to determine the specs for my specific rifle? (I emailed AINA last week with my serial number but haven't heard back yet and I'm not particularly patient so I figured I'd ask the collective wisdom here!)

Thanks,
Matthew

Re: Are all AI AW (factory) threaded barrels M18x1.5?

If its a AI brake it will be a M18 x 1.5.

If in doubt post a pic.

Post a picture of the brake and/or the writing on the barrel.

If it's got marks like the one below then it came from the UK and is metric M18x1.5. If no marks like below, then likely a US chambered barrel from AINA & Dave Tooley and could be other things.

AI UK Markings.....
AI-2.jpg

Thanks everyone.

My barrel does have markings like those in jasonk's post, and the bottom of the muzzle brake assembly has an "NP" marking on it.

So it sounds like it's a UK barrel with M18x1.5 threads.

Thanks again!

barrel_markings.jpg

muzzle_brake_marking.jpg

My barrel does have markings like those in jasonk's post, and the bottom of the muzzle brake assembly has an "NP" marking on it...