• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Are any AR-15 parts made in China?

Re: Are any AR-15 parts made in China?

Given the sheer number of no name AR companies that have surfaced the last few years I would venture to say with 100% confidance that there are non US made parts floating around the pages of Shotgun News and the local gun shows.

Best bet stick with known manufactures and if you have to buy at the gun show stay away from guys who have their booths in between the Beenie Baby Lady and the Jerky Guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best bet stick with known manufactures and if you have to buy at the gun show <span style="font-weight: bold">stay away from guys who have their booths in between the Beenie Baby Lady and the Jerky Guy</span>.

</div></div>

HA HAAA! That's good advice right there!!
wink.gif

The short answer is that there are ChiCom sources for AR-15 parts (Norinco for one) floating around out there. I would avoid places like Sarco (and other SGN/Gun List/etc. vendors). Unfortunately, there is no specific markings or give-aways that will enable you to tell the cheap crap from the good stuff. Sticking to reputable manufacturers/companies like DPMS, RRA, Stag, Armalite, etc. for small parts where you know that you are getting quality is the best way to avoid problems with AR parts. Also, unless you know the seller very well or you can otherwise trust what you are buying...stay clear of the voluminous "parts bins" that you'll find at some shows.

Not only that but buy from authorized dealers. And always, always, always...if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Easy way to spot them. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

UTG vs. Troy or another well known brand. Easy example.

From my understanding, UTG rails are now being manufactured in Michigan in a facility the company has set up. I believe UTG is out of Taiwan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From my understanding, UTG rails are now being manufactured in Michigan in a facility the company has set up. I believe UTG is out of Taiwan. </div></div>

Thats news to me, but never the less, when you compare products, such as UTG, with higher name brand and quality products persay Magpul, Troy, Bravo Comp, etc., its worth it to pay the extra $ and get the quality stuff first.

I learnt the hard way, wanted to put all the TactiCOOL stuff on my AR when I first got it, got the UTG rail, drop grip, flashlights, etc., then not even a year later it was in the original boxes for sale at the local gun show.

To the OP: Check around before you buy anything, always read reviews and compare with other companies so you dont end up with Chi-com products on something that would eventually be used to save your life.

Is this thread about accessories or actual parts? It is common knowledge that the Chinese copy lots of accessories and optics,this is a no brainer.My real worry would be the lower parts,BCG,springs and that sort of thing.I almost never use a "Milspec" trigger,but,for guys that can't afford the extra $100-300 for an after market trigger,Chinese crap parts could be a real problem.

There's tons and tons of chinese AR stuff out there, and given how they seem to take over most other industries, I'm sure there will only be more in the future. Short answer is spend a little time on the internet researching anything you want to buy.

The good AR stuff always seems a little expensive at first. Most of us probably started out buying the cheap crap, only to throw it away, give it away, or sell it for 1/4 of what we paid for it later.

If there are two identical items in front of you, and one is half the price of the other, be suspicious. The cheap stuff might look just as cool, but it always breaks when you start actually running the equipment hard.

Just remember that you can always buy AR stuff at about a million places online--as mentioned above, gunshows are about the worst place to do it. Always do your research before dropping your money. Which should be obvious, I guess...

Sarco must keep those countries running, even M1 Garand & M14 parts they sell, many are china junk - so beware buying anything from them - not to say bad of them as I do buy from them occasionally & they are good to deal with, but a good deal of it is import junk.

DPMS may be made in America but it can be tossed in the pile with Chinese shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS may be made in America but it can be tossed in the pile with Chinese shit. </div></div>

i totally agree, i cant believe they still in business. Ive been shooting ar's since 86 and i could swear they been around just as long. Maybe they (chinese) copied their business model from them. As long as people willing to pay for crap, they'll make it.

My MacBook Pro aluminum case is an amazing piece of work - machined from a block of aluminum and free from even the smallest hint of tool marks - and millions of them are made - and none of them have a single tool mark. It was made in China. If I made up an engineering drawing and put that surface finish on the callouts, and said that any tool marks and the part would be rejected - then sent it out to quote to a few US manufactures - they would all no-quote it, or quote $10,000 each.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best bet stick with known manufactures and if you have to buy at the gun show <span style="font-weight: bold">stay away from guys who have their booths in between the Beenie Baby Lady and the Jerky Guy</span>.

</div></div>

HA HAAA! That's good advice right there!!
wink.gif

The short answer is that there are ChiCom sources for AR-15 parts (Norinco for one) floating around out there. I would avoid places like Sarco (and other SGN/Gun List/etc. vendors). Unfortunately, there is no specific markings or give-aways that will enable you to tell the cheap crap from the good stuff. Sticking to reputable manufacturers/companies like DPMS, RRA, Stag, Armalite, etc. for small parts where you know that you are getting quality is the best way to avoid problems with AR parts. Also, unless you know the seller very well or you can otherwise trust what you are buying...stay clear of the voluminous "parts bins" that you'll find at some shows.</div></div> even this is not very safe at times due to the bottom line dollar ....we can get it made cheaper and mark it up for more!!!not to be paranoid....