• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

are carbon fiber cleaning rods solid or hollow?

logic factory

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
connecticut
i do not want to assume because the word rod is used that the shafts are solid, can anyone confirm or deny their carbon fiber cleaning rods from the popular manufacturer's are solid?
thank you for your time.

Re: are carbon fiber cleaning rods solid or hollow?

Round shaft-like composites can be built two basic ways: filament winding, and pultrusions. Most if not all small diameters tubes like what you're talking about are pultrusions. You can make a pultrusion hollow is to use a floating mandrel. Doing so complicates the manufacturing and adds cost to the process. So, while I don't know for sure, I'd highly doubt that these relatively inexpensive cleaning rods are hollow.

thank you for your deductive reasoning cnc; i enjoy a thought process as much as the next.
although your post makes sense it contradicts the prices i have seen for tubing vs. solid of same outside diameter; 1/2-1/4 the cost for tubing. maybe the reason is a more timely process for the rod vs. tubing than you and i are thinking; maybe more machining time is needed to bring the rod into spec compared to tubing? or maybe there is a closer correlation to material costs; i.e. the tubing using less material than rod for same o.d.? i think the answer may lie more in the later explanation i offer; still only a guess.

i wanted to see if any manufacturer felt like they needed the slight edge a rod would have under same o.d. constraints when compared to a tube. i will still wait for a response before i move ahead.

a came across this post on an engineering forum.
"Flexural stiffness is a function of the moment of inertia, I, of the cross section. For the solid rod,I = PI x .25 x R^4 = PI x .25 x 0.095^4 = .00006397 inches^4

For the tube, it is PI x .25 x (R^4 - r^4)= PI x .25 x (.012^4 - .095^4)= .00006395 inches^4

The rod is infinitesimally stiffer than the tube."
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=36587

There's also fabric tubing wrapped around a mandrel, but this stuff is a lot more expensive.

Pultruded hollow carbon fiber shafts are dirt cheap these days. All this stuff is coming out of China. A 5mm x 30" runs about $2-3.

Real simple cut one in half. But that would only prove that brand . A call to the factory for a certian brand would be better.The flex in any cleaning rod is not only hollow vs solid its also the material (fiber /resin/wrap) The real question is what is the end point.What issue are you adressing?

thank you for the replies.
this thread has delivered the answers i was looking for.
thanks again for all those that contributed.