• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Are lasers still a thing?

MarshallDodge

At the Reloading Bench
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2007
Utah
I remember around 15 years ago, lasers on pistols were a big thing, maybe just a fad.

Has white light replaced lasers on handguns or do I just not hear about them like I once did?

Reactions: jpop8807
Extremely rare on carry guns in LE or civilian context (mil too as far as I know but not certain).

White light is more common, but still pretty rare.

When a civilian has a white light on a carry handgun, odds are good that he’s carrying an extra mag, two knives, an “admin” light, and has an IFAK on his ankle.

Not saying that’s good or bad, just saying that’s the type that I usually see with a white light.

Now, for guys that do training, larping, etc, with tactical gear including long guns, it’s a different story. White lights are much more common on those handguns. Lasers are still rare.

RDS on pistols have largely replaced lasers.
While there are still plenty of people carrying lights or lasers or combo light and laser and lots of support for it, the new wave is RDS and as that continues to rise laser use will probably drop.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Been a while since I monkeyed with a laser and don’t think I’ve ever shot with one, buuut…..
The J-frames I’ve held with the Crimson Trace grips seemed pretty handy. While in close in daylight, the sights are fine, but in low light, or, trying to hit at distance where your sights start being appreciably off from POI, I like the concept.
That said, like a red dot, they don’t make “hitting” easier if you don’t know what your doing and I may be the only guy here that likes to shoot a .38 snub at 50 yards on occasion (I get funny looks from young guys at the range and grins when I connect).

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I remember around 15 years ago, lasers on pistols were a big thing, maybe just a fad.

Has white light replaced lasers on handguns or do I just not hear about them like I once did?
Agreed. I mean I have a few dudes that rock the TLR that also has the laser built into it. I think it depends on what you're doing with the firearm. Most long guns I see with the laser's it's usually IR lasers to run nods with. Mostly I just seem to see white light, but the most area it seems like LEO here in CO don't have anything mounted to their pistols a white light on the AR's for pistols it seems they carry a smaller flashlight. I'm not for or against lasers the only perk I can really see is maybe a ccw someone comes in to rob a place but hasn't started blasting yet you could have it under a table or something and lase the target without being right behind the gun maybe?

How about the lasers you can’t see with the neked eye?
1E864857-ECEF-494B-B663-24CD9907A9DA.jpeg

I have a buddy that was getting into guns so I was helping him build an AR. He watches a lot of “swat” type shows. He was set on a laser/light combo. I told him those are just for TV and to get a reflex sight. He got the laser anyway. I helped him put it on and zero it…… I then had to admit I was wrong and put a laser on one of our carbines because that thing was fun as hell and actually really accurate and fast to shoot at 5-20 yards lol. Now I’ve put one on a couple of pistols bc why not. I haven’t shot the pistols much but just dry firing I feel like I’m going to like them. I’m sold on the carbine with a laser and LVPO for sure. It beats a 45deg reflex sight all day.

Reactions: jpop8807
My wife's EDC is a J-frame S&W 638 (shrouded hammer) with an Apex kit I put in it and a fricken' laser beam (Crimson Trace grips). FWIW/FYI hear me now, believe me later, for only $30 the Apex kits for J-frames turn shitty into nice, 25 yard head shots in SA nice: https://www.apextactical.com/j-frame-duty-carry-spring-kit

IMO laser-grips are the best option for little revolvers like that.

Last edited: