• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are Muzzle Brakes Really That Loud to Range Neighbors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, unless the scope is designed for it the brake can actually cause more stress on your scope than you might realize. Some thing to do with rapid deceleration of the recoil is harder on a scope than normal unbraked recoil. The whole premise is from Einstein's for every action there is equal and opposite action. You're a fool if you think you are cheating and beating this theory with a brake. You've reduced your recoil at what price? The equal and opposite shit doesn't stop there.

I do not have a problem with you of with your sarcasm. Good sarcasm has to have a lot of honest truth in it to give it a bit of bite. But you were smart enough to get out of Cali. I'm enough of an asshole that I let myself get stuck in NY.

One hope that I have for President Trump is that he will straighten out the corrupt election practices that are rooted in Blue states. There are five counties in NYS that rule the entire state with a monolithic Democratic vote. I don't doubt that they are majority Democrat, but not by the margin they poll. Something has a finger on the scale.
Yeah ca is the same way. SFO - san on the coast (save Orange County where I am from) is blue to the core. Rest of the state is red. Problem is 75% of the popmlives in blue counties. I mean honestly if we went straight popular vote, CA and NY would rule the roost.

Didn't take long for this to turn into "my way/one way for everyone"...sorry I asked now.

I'm a newbie to shooting long guns but have been shooting handguns long enough to know that recoil and it's effects vary wildly from person to person. I reject the claim that everyone who uses/needs a brake or prefers to use one is somehow defective and needs to Man Up.

I have shot my 6.5 with and without a brake. I like the brake a lot (it works) but I'm not wanting the Hate from folks who can't take loud noises at a shooting range. I shoot at a private club by the way - I paid to use the facilities just like everyone else. And I have sat next to folks shooting my braked rifle and sat on the line with folks shooting other braked guns. They are louder but not as loud as my brothers Les Baer 5,56 with no muzzle devices what so ever. I think the folks who can't deal with a little extra noise and muzzle blast have the bigger problem but that's just my opinion.

If I'm at the range and shooting with a brake and someone is upset they'll have to wait until I'm done if it bothers them that bad.

VooDoo

Reactions: RNWRKNP
A couple of years back I was sighting in for deer season with my Son-in-Law. I was using a Savage Predator Hunter .260, no muzzle device, and he had a Mossberg 12ga pump with a ported barrel. Everything was proceeding fine when his best friend shows up unannounced with his two older Sons, and they (of course) are all sans hearing protection.

I was immediately packing up, when the kids started whining they wanted to watch. My S-i-L gives his earmuffs to one kid and looks at me expectantly. Like the dumb sh*t that I am, I hand mine over, too.

So I'm standing there, when my S-i-L lets go with a shot from the Mossberg approximately five feet to my left, no warning.

In that instant, I permanently lost about 80% of my hearing in my left ear.

To this day, I have never mentioned the hearing loss to him, although he does get to hear me say, "What?" a lot.

My dumb, my fault. The VA does a good job with the hearing aids, and it's now just another part of my life.

My most recent acquisition is an AR15 Upper, and it's the first firearm I own with any muzzle device, an A2 flash hider. My heaviest recoiling rifle is a sporter .30-'06. My sternum reconstruction is beginning the slow process leading up to an actual failure, and my Cardiologist told me Thursday that they will not open me back up to fix it. So the '06's (there's a Garand, too) are probably on their way to becoming safe queens.

I now know how loud things can get with brakes. I just had my periodic VA hearing test, and the good news is that my hearing has not deteriorated any further in the past two years.

I offer no advice other than to be religious about wearing your hearing protection in locations where loud noises should be expected. Your hearing is your responsibility. If it is being compromised, do the bright thing, go home; there will always be other days. My shooting has a lower priority than my health.

Greg

Last edited:
Didn't take long for this to turn into "my way/one way for everyone"...sorry I asked now.

I'm a newbie to shooting long guns but have been shooting handguns long enough to know that recoil and it's effects vary wildly from person to person. I reject the claim that everyone who uses/needs a brake or prefers to use one is somehow defective and needs to Man Up.

I have shot my 6.5 with and without a brake. I like the brake a lot (it works) but I'm not wanting the Hate from folks who can't take loud noises at a shooting range. I shoot at a private club by the way - I paid to use the facilities just like everyone else. And I have sat next to folks shooting my braked rifle and sat on the line with folks shooting other braked guns. They are louder but not as loud as my brothers Les Baer 5,56 with no muzzle devices what so ever. I think the folks who can't deal with a little extra noise and muzzle blast have the bigger problem but that's just my opinion.

If I'm at the range and shooting with a brake and someone is upset they'll have to wait until I'm done if it bothers them that bad.

VooDoo

Didn't get what you were looking for with your original post? Just another self centered Fuck that bought a brake with no place to go except a covered bench line.

Reactions: YetiSam
You're not an asshole for using a break, and the guy freaking out was WAY overreacting.

At PRS matches about 95% of the shooters use either a brake or a suppressor, with probably 75% using the brake and maybe 20% shooting suppressed at the events I've been to. You get used to shooting next to a bunch of brakes, and the only time I really find it annoying is if I'm laying on dirt or gravel next to one (in which case it hurts to get hit by it). Off the bench it's a non-issue.

It is surprising for those not used to it though. Generally speaking, The courteous thing to do is just give the people around you a small heads up. The ranges I shoot a for load development have lane dividers though, so I've never actually had anyone get annoyed or upset if I shoot with a brake rather than a suppressor. You could, of you wanted, make you own lane divider to bring with you if you really wanted to go out of your way, but it's entirely unnecessary really.

Guns are loud. It's why ranges generally require ear protection.

VooDoo

Your last line really shows the transition to becoming the discourteous shooter at the range. If you know you're bothering someone, why not talk to them and find out if one of you can move down the line, shoot in alternating strings, etc. Just because your braked rifle doesn't bother YOU, doesn't mean that others are not allowed to be affected by it.

I shot my 6.5x47L without a muzzle device for an entire season until I got my suppressor. For whatever reason, my sinuses are sensitive to the concussion, double ear-pro be damned. After a long day at the range, especially a match, I will have a monster headache if I have to shoot next to braked rifles. I can't control it, and if 70% of competition shooters run brakes I can't control that either.

Here's my snarky suggestion to you: go shoot a PRS match and let me know how much you like laying shoulder to shoulder with 3 people on each side all with muzzle brakes. Better yet, under a roof or laying in loose dirt. I know laying next to a person shooting a 6 creed with a Fat Bastard for a 14-round stage gave me a headache. Or, go to a 2-day PRS match and RO a stage where you're inside a shoot house. Let me know how you feel after about 3,000 braked rounds go off a couple feet away in an enclosed space.

A solution to either quandary.
Go when the traffic is light at the range.
Choose area/bench according to use or non tolerance to muzzle brake use...
And we wonder why we can't stand up to the antis...

R

Reactions: RNWRKNP
OK. You win. I'm an asshole 'cause I use a muzzle brake.

And for the record, the one and only time a guy was actually asking me about it I politely told him I was sorry and ceased shooting until he was done...even though I was there before he got there. I'm not a discourteous shooter and will work with anyone to keep things cool for as many as possible. It's the reason for this thread - I *have* sat on a firing line where the guy right next to me and the guys right next to him were shooting braked guns. I did not feel I was getting sterilized. My ears weren't ringing after shooting hence the question to more experienced shooters about the loudness of muzzle brakes.

I'm not having the issues. Apparently others are having issues. I don't think the people who are having problems are assholes but apparently the folks who are having problems think I'm as asshole 'cause I like my brake just fine. I usually shoot late afternoon when I can get off work so as not to annoy anyone.

Sorry I asked. Done.

VooDoo

SnipersHide Cup. Dry dusty conditions. No bitching, just shooting.
2A45F639-3222-49B2-8A82-F6D6EA1D2235.jpeg

OK. You win. I'm an asshole 'cause I use a muzzle brake.

And for the record, the one and only time a guy was actually asking me about it I politely told him I was sorry and ceased shooting until he was done...even though I was there before he got there. I'm not a discourteous shooter and will work with anyone to keep things cool for as many as possible. It's the reason for this thread - I *have* sat on a firing line where the guy right next to me and the guys right next to him were shooting braked guns. I did not feel I was getting sterilized. My ears weren't ringing after shooting hence the question to more experienced shooters about the loudness of muzzle brakes.

I'm not having the issues. Apparently others are having issues. I don't think the people who are having problems are assholes but apparently the folks who are having problems think I'm as asshole 'cause I like my brake just fine. I usually shoot late afternoon when I can get off work so as not to annoy anyone.

Sorry I asked. Done.

VooDoo

some people are just soft af...ive RO'd PRS matches every year for the past few years...ive shot in tons of matches where 95% of shooters are running brakes...it doesnt bother me either...it aint my job to cater to every cunt out there either

i have at least 2 suppressors in my pack with me everywhere i go...i use them when im hunting, and thats pretty much it...nfg

some people are just soft af...ive RO'd PRS matches every year for the past few years...ive shot in tons of matches where 95% of shooters are running brakes...it doesnt bother me either...it aint my job to cater to every cunt out there either

i have at least 2 suppressors in my pack with me everywhere i go...i use them when im hunting, and thats pretty much it...nfg

Honest question, do you get your hearing checked frequently? I have to get checked annually because I work in a loud manufacturing environment where we're required to wear double ear pro out in the shop. So going from that every day to a loud range is a recipe for hearing loss if I don't make it a priority.

I guess you think guys like me are soft cunts lol, but getting a headache midway through a match sucks, and when you're wearing double ear pro it's hard to do anything further to reduce the conduction that occurs. So carry on what you're doing, I'm not suggesting brakes be banned or anything like that. But if you think everyone is as "hard" as you are when it comes to getting hit with muzzle blast then you might be surprised.

They spend a lot of money on their brakes and it is all fine and dandy. Emphasis on dandy.

Honest question, do you get your hearing checked frequently? I have to get checked annually because I work in a loud manufacturing environment where we're required to wear double ear pro out in the shop. So going from that every day to a loud range is a recipe for hearing loss if I don't make it a priority.

I guess you think guys like me are soft cunts lol, but getting a headache midway through a match sucks, and when you're wearing double ear pro it's hard to do anything further to reduce the conduction that occurs. So carry on what you're doing, I'm not suggesting brakes be banned or anything like that. But if you think everyone is as "hard" as you are when it comes to getting hit with muzzle blast then you might be surprised.

if i had problems hearing things i would get it checked...but i dont...my work enviroment isnt quiet, lots of ambient noise from air handlers and machines running, but not intense volumes, and we have phones to hear as we are on call always, i hear them all the time when others dont...i hear them ringing from 20 ft away when the guys carrying the phone on their belt clips dont, so i havent felt the need to check anything

and it is what it is...if you cant shoot a match with brakes all day and be fine, but i can...what do you want to call it? fact is, we aint all built the same

Reactions: SingleShot85
You got that pic of those PRS shooters in their best nightgowns and you can't rub one out, Bender?

Reactions: Bender
Yes, we know Arthur. You went over and woke up everybody's siesta in the pit.

Yes, we know Arthur. You went over and woke up everybody's siesta in the pit.
Just trying to get them to post in another section.
Team work and such.

Side note: I recently learned there is a Suppressor Jesus. Thusly is there a Muzzle Brake Jesus?...

R

I just received a Trophy for "Seriously Likeable". Let the PRS bitching commence.

Reactions: Bender
Plus, unless the scope is designed for it the brake can actually cause more stress on your scope than you might realize. Some thing to do with rapid deceleration of the recoil is harder on a scope than normal unbraked recoil. The whole premise is from Einstein's for every action there is equal and opposite action. You're a fool if you think you are cheating and beating this theory with a brake. You've reduced your recoil at what price? The equal and opposite shit doesn't stop there.
That was Newton not Einstein. Sorry but that gave me Forest Whitaker eye. If your logic holds, then every shooter's shoulder would put much more stress on the scope with that sudden stop than a brake redirecting energy ever could.

VooDoo
yeah we digress quickly.

I meant what i said in my original post. F him. Brakes are part of the sport and essential in my opinion. not mandatory however. if he doesn't like it hes the one with the problem not you. if your range allows them than he has to adapt.

in CO while shooting with Frank and Mike, i shot next to an unsuppressed 300 WM with a brake. it was loud, but i never complained once. it just is what it is. adapt and overcome.

Bitches in prison get it up and the ass and never complain. So, what is your point exactly?

That was Newton not Einstein. Sorry but that gave me Forest Whitaker eye. If your logic holds, then every shooter's shoulder would put much more stress on the scope with that sudden stop than a brake redirecting energy ever could.

The only thing you got right was Newton.

Status
Not open for further replies.