• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are rear bean bag riders useful or a gimmick?

kermit the monster

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2020
Looking specifically at this Cadex Rear Bean bag rider, do these help at all? I mean they're only 20 bucks, but has anyone tried one before? Thanks!

1591485255702.png

Your example looks gimmicky. Sometimes based on the shape of the buttstock they're beneficial.

This doesn't appear to be one of those times.
The bottom of that Cadex stock would be better than that bag rider in my opinion.
A normal one is just a longer flat or slightly angled surface.
FC797F39-FDAD-47A3-A40D-4AC2843552C4.jpeg

here’s one I made for my savage.

Sounds like I'll be saving 20 bucks, appreciate the insight!
A bag rider should provide a dead flat surface to ride on the bag so that the rifle recoils straight back. Like an ice skate on a skating rink surface. Anything that would grab the bag or hinder that sliding movement can affect accuracy. So yes. Whoever designed this thing doesn’t understand the concept and purpose and is looking to make a buck. Or 20. This thing is as logical as wearing a pair of crampons to go ice skating.

A bag rider should provide a dead flat surface to ride on the bag so that the rifle recoils straight back. Like an ice skate on a skating rink surface. Anything that would grab the bag or hinder that sliding movement can affect accuracy. So yes. Whoever designed this thing doesn’t understand the concept and purpose and is looking to make a buck. Or 20. This thing is as logical as wearing a pair of crampons to go ice skating.
Appreciate the explanation on how that works, thanks!

In the heat of the moment as one transitions from position to position, there is the chance that a bag rider may be hinderance for elevation adjustment with your rear bag as that timer counts down. I do think they look cool though.

In the heat of the moment as one transitions from position to position, there is the chance that a bag rider may be hinderance for elevation adjustment with your rear bag as that timer counts down. I do think they look cool though.

<<<<not a gamer or OAF and bag riders are quite useful for me.

Here's a quickie bag rider I whipped up as a proof of concept for another rifle. It's a 6”x1” delrin rod in a Leupold scope ring. $5 piece of delrin in a spare ring everyone has laying around. If you have a stock with a pic rail it works like a champ. If not it's not too hard to install a section of rail. I was pleasantly surprised how rock solid it turned out to be. For range use only in my case.

Attachments

• C0A34D00-1D93-4917-86C4-F78B5D902AD8.jpeg
    C0A34D00-1D93-4917-86C4-F78B5D902AD8.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 91
That looks very nice. If I can make a suggestion it would be to angle the rider up a few degrees as it would allow you to make small adjustments up and down on target by just moving the rifle back and forth... That is the only modification that I am looking to make.

-BB

Here's a quickie bag rider I whipped up as a proof of concept for another rifle. It's a 6”x1” delrin rod in a Leupold scope ring. $5 piece of delrin in a spare ring everyone has laying around. If you have a stock with a pic rail it works like a champ. If not it's not too hard to install a section of rail. I was pleasantly surprised how rock solid it turned out to be. For range use only in my case.
Looks pretty slick!

Look into the adjustable bag riders that are coming out now, I helped with to prototype from adjustablebagrider.com for the mdt acc chasis, and they are truly incredible. I just use a hard sand bag now and do all my elevation adjustments by turning the wheel. After pulling the trigger I'm right back on targets. (This is for my elr rig)

Look into the adjustable bag riders that are coming out now, I helped with to prototype from adjustablebagrider.com for the mdt acc chasis, and they are truly incredible. I just use a hard sand bag now and do all my elevation adjustments by turning the wheel. After pulling the trigger I'm right back on targets. (This is for my elr rig)

Looks pretty clean, how fast can you adjust that on the fly?

Looks pretty clean, how fast can you adjust that on the fly?
So The thing I like about it is a can always set it and use a normal bag, but adjustments are pretty quick, but I am using this for ELR, I havent used it in a nrl match yet or something. I would say its ideal for Fclass, elr, and long range prs/elr matches.

That looks very nice. If I can make a suggestion it would be to angle the rider up a few degrees as it would allow you to make small adjustments up and down on target by just moving the rifle back and forth... That is the only modification that I am looking to make.

-BB
An angled bag rider will allow elevation adjustment but it also negates the whole purpose of a bag rider. And that is to have the rifle recoil on a level plane straight back. When the bag rider is angled the recoil is directed down on rear at the butt. This raises the muzzle as the rifle is in recoil creating an impact shift and the potential for vertical stringing. Also if I’m moving the rifle forward and backward to change elevation then my entire body should follow the rifle. Otherwise you are simply muscling the gun and compromising body position to accommodate the rifle. The rifle and body should be in a solid fixed position and once that relationship is established, not changed until the firing string is complete. Elevation should be adjusted by squeezing the bag.