• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are resume's private at work?

Teggy1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2008
Forest City, Iowa
Is it legal to circulate applicants resume's around the work place? Meaning with multiple people who will not be involved in the hiring or interviewing process?

I would think not, but the boss seemed to not care.

What say you?

Re: Are resume's private at work?

I would say probably not unless it was specifically stated on the resume that it was not to be shared with anyone other than the original recipient.

I would talk with lawyer but I would think like all hiring information you have an expectation of privacy when you apply for work

I would say yes it is, especially in a place you are going to be working with someone.

As long as it is used internally, it informs department heads who has been hired and where he might fit in, as well as how.

My thinking is yes... it can go out to people inside the company.

I would think that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy when you hand over a resume. I don't think you hand over a resume thinking that only one person is going to look and even if you did expect that you still wouldn't know who that person is going to be so...

I've been party to many hirings where I was simply called in to the bosses office to look over potential candidates and give him my opinion and the fact that he had the resumes meant that the resume had gone through all the people at HR and senior management down to our level so there's 20-30 people handling that resume alone before even getting to me.

The plural of résumé is résumés. In the alternate spelling, it is resumes.

No, I would not think it would be illegal, unless as stated by treebasher, that there had been a specific request to not share it with others.

You'll need to check the laws in your state/locale to be sure, but I can tell you as a matter of practice for hiring in my business (in WV), and others in which I have worked in the past, is to circulate resumes for applicants among at least numerous employees (maybe not EVERYONE, but several...many of whom will have ZERO final say-so in hiring decision).

This does several things, but most importantly it allows any person in the firm/business with knowledge of a particular applicant to comment on their knowledge of/experiences with/etc. the applicant which may not otherwise be known to just the couple of individuals conducting interviews and making hiring decisions. You'd be surprised how many BAD hiring decisions can be avoided by doing this!

The only time I would question whether or not to circulate a resume openly throughout a business would be if the applicant specifically requested that the information be kept private and confidential to the hiring committee, a specific executive or executives, etc., etc. If you then share it with all and it gets back to the applicant then you could have issues, but generally what I have seen happen is when the applicant asks that it be kept on the down low and it somehow gets back to the applicant's employer that they are in the market and their employer then fires them!! If one of your company's employees would blab or it get back to the applicant's current employer who fires the applicant...it could come back and bite your company on the butt. Again, that would be an extreme case, but its happened.

Illegal ... NO. Unethical ... Yes.

You have to ask yourself this question. Would you want to work for a boss that is that lax in his /her ethical work policies?

It is very unprofessional to pass around a resume. It almost appears as if the boss has acceptance or professional boundary issues.

I wouldn't want to work in that environment. It only spells trouble in the long run.

A boss that does this is trying to be the employees' buddy. That never turns out well for anyone in that environment.

They've been passed around small groups in companies I work for so the people they would be working with could get an idea of experience and how they might fit in.

Most companies have internal policies regarding such issues. State laws vary on privacy issues but I wouldn't think a resume would have that high of an expectation of privacy. Maybe a job application would, since it contains so much personal information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Illegal ... NO. Unethical ... Yes.

You have to ask yourself this question. Would you want to work for a boss that is that lax in his /her ethical work policies?

It is very unprofessional to pass around a resume. It almost appears as if the boss has acceptance or professional boundary issues.

I wouldn't want to work in that environment. It only spells trouble in the long run.

A boss that does this is trying to be the employees' buddy. That never turns out well for anyone in that environment. </div></div>

Unethical? In what context? The OP doesn't seem to say that it was distributed to mock it, or otherwise embarrass said applicant.
Not illegal, a resume is simply a description of work experiences and other relevant information provided by an applicant to make them an attractive hire.
This is not protected by any laws that I am aware of.

As to it being unethical, depends greatly on what the manager is trying to do. Is he asking for feedback? Is he just trying to let everyone know there is a new hand coming on board and here is his/her background.

It's not uncommon to distribute a resume to the peers of a new employee. Certainly the act is not of itself unethical. If you're embarrassed about something on your resume, I suggest you write a new one.

It's foolish to circulate resumes from new hires who are leaving a current position.
Your employees look at the last place they worked and now have a heads-up on a job opening at another company. Possibly a competitor.

It has nothing to do with being embarrassed. It's about professional ethics.

Then again, it all depends on what area of work this person is applying for. ie ... as security job at a bank or a telemarketing company.

WHat purpose does it serve to allow others to see their work history? I can't think of any reason why it should be done.

Bottom line ..... the only people who should have any reason to see someone's work history would be the HR Department. Common workers do not need to know this information.

I, personally, have a few references on my resume that I wouldn't want just anyone to see. Not because I am embarrassed by my employment with that company, but because of some of the negative national press that these companies have received over the past 10 years. I don't want people getting a preconceived notion in their head about me before we even meet.

See my point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bottom line ..... the only people who should have any reason to see someone's work history would be the HR Department. </div></div>

I don't know how much experience you've had with HR people, but I can tell that from the ones I've dealt with, you might as well put the damned resume on facebook.

They're like so many cops.
They know the rules, but following them is another story.

I agree with Tucker, everyone here asked me how I liked shooting long range, how long it took me to earn my Black Belt etc.

Then they googled me, then checked out my FB...

LOL

Don't know if it's illegal, but it happens so if someone knew you and knew bad things they could speak up....or vice versa.

Here in Kalifornia it absolutely is. We have had many hours of training in the car biz about privacy and safeguarding.
The major law we have to be constantly aware of is the Gramm Leach Billey act (GLBA) and is a federal law that requires the protection and security of confidential information. There are two rules the "Privacy rule" and the "Security rule". If you had any confidential information on the document than the entire document and its contents are confidential. If we have a used car that has registration, receipts, bills, mail, and any of about 200 other things in it we have to immediately take it to shredder boxes located in a few places in the dealership. Anything with a signature from a customer or employee has to be shredded or in a locked room with limited access.

With all of the new identity thefts that go on by the thousands a day security is something we don't take lightly. Neither should the company that has your job app, or any other document.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Kalifornia it absolutely is. We have had many hours of training in the car biz about privacy and safeguarding.
The major law we have to be constantly aware of is the Gramm Leach Billey act (GLBA) and is a federal law that requires the protection and security of confidential information. There are two rules the "Privacy rule" and the "Security rule". If you had any confidential information on the document than the entire document and its contents are confidential. If we have a used car that has registration, receipts, bills, mail, and any of about 200 other things in it we have to immediately take it to shredder boxes located in a few places in the dealership. Anything with a signature from a customer or employee has to be shredded or in a locked room with limited access.

With all of the new identity thefts that go on by the thousands a day security is something we don't take lightly. Neither should the company that has your job app, or any other document. </div></div>

I agree. My point of view is that if I wanted everyone to know my job history I would post in on a billboard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it legal to circulate applicants resume's around the work place? Meaning with multiple people who will not be involved in the hiring or interviewing process? I would think not, but the boss seemed to not care. What say you? </div></div>Perhaps try searching your state statutes for an anti-resume-circulate-around-with-people-not-involved-in-the-hiring-process law and see what you find.
grin.gif

The purpose of a resume is for other people to look at it.

Besides, what are the damages? The applicant never had the job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...if I wanted everyone to know my job history I would post in on a billboard. </div></div>Resumes are cheaper than billboards, but serve a similar purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Kalifornia it absolutely is. We have had many hours of training in the car biz about privacy and safeguarding.
The major law we have to be constantly aware of is the Gramm Leach Billey act (GLBA) and is a federal law that requires the protection and security of confidential information. </div></div>

In Banking...(and obviously you do banking there)

That was a HUGE piece of my recent security test.

I remembered it from teh Gays, Leziban BI phrase = bankers that fucked the country.

Got it right too
smile.gif

It does make sense, your address etc is private, phone number...HIPAA for medical privacy, Sarbanes–Oxley Act for public traded companies, privacy act of 1974, and on and on...

You do have a good point..

Weird how all the security professionals here passed my resume out like it was candy LOL

Your address is private?

Ever registered a mortgage?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your address is private?

Ever registered a mortgage?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Good point, and my phone number is in the book.

Most of the laws do refer to social security numbers, credit card numbers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the laws do refer to social security numbers, credit card numbers...</div></div>I wasn't trying to pick an argument. I agree with you. I was leading up to saying that there's no reason to put information like references, SSN and DOB, on a resume. That stuff should be reserved for the job apps, which are usually confidential.

It has nothing to do with ethics. The applicant, in most cases, freely submits the information. The applicant should expect that the information provided will be investigated. No one would ever lie on a resume, right?

Previous employment is just as valuable in the decision making process as any other piece of information. If the HR department calls a previous employer for information all they will get is confirmation of employment and rehire status. However, if based upon resume information, the hiring company has an active employee who worked with the applicant at the same firm then perhaps some first hand information about the applicant can be obtained. That could be valuable information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the laws do refer to social security numbers, credit card numbers...</div></div>I wasn't trying to pick an argument. I agree with you. I was leading up to saying that there's no reason to put information like references, SSN and DOB, on a resume. That stuff should be reserved for the job apps, which are usually confidential. </div></div>

No we're good, you got me thinking about that stuff...

That's how I think, I'll just add to it!
smile.gif
(From a tech point of view)...

I'm a HR Director for a large company. While there are no specific laws (in the 5 States I work in)against it; it does leave the company in a vulnerable position. Successful lawsuits have been filed holding employers responsible for damages from a failure to control sensitive personal information from both employees and applicants.

As a best practice, resumes shouldn't be circulated beyond an executive management chain, or the direct management chain of the position being recruited. Further, resumes should be destroyed immediately after the 12 month retention requirement has been metto limit liability.

When a piece of paper hits my desk, it's locked in a file, or shredded unless it is to be reviewed by members of the hiring chain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSFG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a HR Director for a large company. While there are no specific laws (in the 5 States I work in)against it; it does leave the company in a vulnerable position. Successful lawsuits have been filed holding employers responsible for damages from a failure to control sensitive personal information from both employees and applicants.

As a best practice, resumes shouldn't be circulated beyond an executive management chain, or the direct management chain of the position being recruited. Further, resumes should be destroyed immediately after the 12 month retention requirement has been metto limit liability.

When a piece of paper hits my desk, it's locked in a file, or shredded unless it is to be reviewed by members of the hiring chain.</div></div>

After some reading, this is what our company's code of conduct states.

It wouldn't get my boxers in a wad over it. Having others I work with know my skill sets is what I want. I have been given many opportunities at work due to people knowing my skill sets and saying to themselves "Hey, that gruff ol' Pit bull would be perfect to handle this!" LOL! I see it as a win on your part but that's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shulette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, if based upon resume information, the hiring company has an active employee who worked with the applicant at the same firm then perhaps some first hand information about the applicant can be obtained. That could be valuable information.
</div></div>

This is very true. I can't tell you how many times I have worked my network to see if someone knows or has worked with a candidate.

If you submit a resume many people will see it. I used to run a software shop and if the resume was interesting I would shop it out to my team to get their feel for it. Also if they claimed to have certain skills I would work with other departments to construct questions to verify this knowledge.

In short I would expect my resume to be seen by any party who has a stake in the hiring process. This could be manager, his staff, and any key personal from peer groups within the organization.

A final point to be made is if you resume is epically bad it will be WIDELY distributed and mocked viciously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teggy1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it legal to circulate applicants resume's around the work place? Meaning with multiple people who will not be involved in the hiring or interviewing process?

I would think not, but the boss seemed to not care.

What say you? </div></div>

Have worked at two places where certain employees seemed to feel that resumes and job applications were open to be read by anyone in the place. Neither liked what happened when the boss caught them doing it. In the one case he wasn't even an employee of the company they were going to. He just worked at a collection point.