• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are ruger rpr factory barrels worth anything

Jmkjr87

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2019
    So im new so i dont know if this is posted in the correct spot but here it goes. Ive been looking for a used ruger rpr and i want to chuck the barrel and put a 26 inch 308 barrel made by patriot valley arms on it. Problem is i cant find one that is decently priced. So fuck it, if i buy a new one and ditch the barrel, is that barrel un fired worth anything to anybody. If so what barrel is worth more? The 20 inch 308 or the 24 inch 6.5 creed. I know some prs competition require factory rifle so maybe somebody that competes might be interested. Can somebody ball park if there's a market and how much it may be worth thanks boys

Honestly no

Edited to clarify......I wouldn’t buy one but I wouldn’t get rid of one either. The best thing to do with the RPR after you get it is take it apart and put it back together. They tend to be over torqued from factory. Removing and reinstalling barrel properly makes a huge difference. Like the guy below shows what’s possible with a factory barrel, my 6.5 with factory barrel is a .5 MOA gun with factory loads.

Last edited:
    5 shots out of my 6CM factory rpr barrel shooting 108 eld handloads.

Maybe run the factory barrel a while?
    886E7EAC-6B15-49A2-AC39-23D5B4B032E5.jpeg

I have been quite pleased with mine and will acknowledge I have a ton to learn about reading wind and mirage. Having said that after a fun shootin tutoring session with @Mike Casselton last week I learned this barrel is capable of probably more than I'll ever *need*. I will likely rebarrel with a Proof Stainless when I catch them on freaky sale again, but not b/c I don't like the stock RPR.

I want the 308 win just not 20 inch thats my dilemma. I got near 300 dollar redding competition dies for 308 and i dont wanna buy new dies for a different caliber

I want the 308 win just not 20 inch thats my dilemma. I got near 300 dollar redding competition dies for 308 and i dont wanna buy new dies for a different caliber
    I'm sorry I glazed over your post mea culpa. Was thinking you meant are they worth shooting. Sorry can't help ya on aftermarket.

I know there good barrels i just want a 26 inch 308. I was thinking if the factory barrel is worth 200 unfired id just sell it and take that money and buy a good after market

Doubt it. Take off barrels are always a crap shoot to most buyers. It has to be cheap for any sane person to spend good money on an unknown quality of an item.

Nothing against the OP, but when I see “unfired factory take off barrel for sale” my first reaction is there’s likely a reason it’s being replaced. And none of them good.