• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Are Shorter Barrels More Forgiving To Load For?

davisj3537

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
So a shorter barrel has less whip and overall more stiffness than a longer barrel of the same contour, but does that translate to ease of reloading? I'm willing to give up a little velocity if it means less hassle during load development.

Have you guys noticed any correlation here or am I overreaching?

Not particularly easier or less hassle. Any practical length barrel is going to take detailed efforts. Also, barrel length has a very small overall influence on chamber pressure.

I wouldn't choose a barrel length or other specification based on how easy it is to load for.

Cannot comment on length but can comment on girth. Not sure if it's coincidence but my thicker varmint barrel has been way easier to do load development with.

You still have to hit the window for accuracy. Length just changes where that window is at and its entirely dependent on the particular weapon.

So yes and no... depending.

I just thought that a shorter barrel's harmonics would be easier to work with given they are less significant. The difference must be negligible to have gotten such a unanimous response.

There are lots of variable and surely everyone plays a part. Its just how large of a part that needs to be determined.

The OBT theory is interesting and worth a read http://www.the-long-family.com/OBT_paper.htm
Its basically comes down to tuning for the barrel length but barrel length doesnt make it easier or harder. IE:The formula itself doesnt change, just the value plugged into it that will reach the same result.

Last edited:
One of the visuals some people use for barrel resonance is the muzzle vibrating up and down due to the resonance caused by firing a bullet. That's an oversimplification, but if you go with it, consider this: The natural vibration frequency of a steel tube depends on stiffness, mass per unit length, length, Young's modulus, method of support, etc. The length has a squared relationship with frequency and it's inverse, so a shorter tube resonates at a higher frequency. If you look at velocity versus time at the muzzle and assume that a barrel only vibrates up and down (not actually correct) the time spent at low velocity near the extremes is less for a shorter barrel with all other variables held constant. So that's a simplified model that doesn't really represent resonance in a gun barrel accurately - but - the length effect does play into the math to a degree.

I'm not endorsing this video as I think it is oversimplified like the above, but it has some value if you want to sit through it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h407yVskVeM

Note how the speaker in this vid talks about "up and down, left and right" when he talks about the whipping motion of the barrel during recoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2G2MubmuE

So the way to think about barrel harmonics is not one-dimensional. All 3 dimensions have some resonant components and they change over time as the energy dissipates.

Now that I've totally confused the discussion, I'll sign off. Carry on.