• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Are suppressors covers really needed?

finbox

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
I just got my Thunderbeast and it shoots great. NO POI change with can on!

I started to get mirage after around 12 rounds of bang 10 seconds bang rate of fire.

I know you can get them in cool colors, and they look neat. But are they really needed? How many more rounds can you fire before the mirage is back?

If its only 5 rounds or so, is it worth the hassle sliding it on off to let it cool?

Thanks

Re: Are suppressors covers really needed?

Quite a few more rounds, the mirage next comes from the barrel in my experience. It in warmer weather where the can stays warm the whole day it can be a bigger deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If its only 5 rounds or so, is it worth the hassle sliding it on off to let it cool?

Thanks</div></div>

Hell I never take mine off on my bolt gun. Not to worried about me ever overheating it so I don't see the point in needing to cool it.

Yes. Have a new bolt gun, shot 5-7 times. Had to stop, get may cover. Mirage was what bad. Ordering some new ones from TBAC too.

simple answer= yes. it is worth it to get a cover. You get many more rounds fired before mirage.

Depending on conditions you can start to have suppressor mirage problems with as little as 3-5 rounds. With a cover in place you should be able to shoot at least twenty rounds before heat builds up enough through a bolt guns rate of fire before you start to have problems, sometimes you can go quite a few more rounds before you have any problems.

Here's a link to the four different models we offer. We've never had a cover that we haven't been able to make a cover for.

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tactical-gear/tab-sas-suppressor-anti-mirage-shield.html

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tactical-gear/sas-r.html

If you have any questions I can help you with I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Ordered 10 from TBAC, will have them to test this weekend. I'll post a update once I run them over the weekend.

I have heard great things about the RO TAB SAS covers and once I get my AAC-762-SDN6 I will send them the specs and have one made.

I have one from elite iron love, cant shoot anymore then 3-4 times without it.

Agree. Suppresser works by trapping / baffling hot gases. Not much mass vs say a 24 in. M24 contour barrel to act as a heat sink. Suppresser emits heat much sooner than the barrel thus mirage issues. My cover is made of Nomex. Acts as a great insulater.

I was just shooting suppressed 338 Lapua in 10 degree air. I had mirage problems after 2 shots, even at 8.5x. My TAB cover fixed that quickly.
In short, use a cover if you want to combat mirage.

Actually the modern Suppressor baffles reduce the sound of shock wave by starving the exploding hot gas of oxygen, when the cartridge fires and explodes the hot gasses expand down the tube and when they hit the suppressor baffles they no longer have oxygen in which to react with the hot gases, thus the chain reaction explosion which follows is much reduced.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Are Suppressor covers needed?

After only 30 rounds of 5.56 a can get well over 600F...60 rounds and your at over 800 and 90 rounds and it's 900 plus degrees or more from there...other than mirage you can't tell it's that hot...until you accidentally touch it...In a hunting situation with bolt action nobproblem, in a confined tactical situation in a vehicle etc, you got to be aware of where the can is at all times because one little brush against bare skin and the skin will slide off. If it touches anything it can melt it or set it on fire...so the question is does your tactical situation require it...?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

My tab gear cover worked well, but front edge frayed apart. Multiple covers for the same can have all been slightly different sizes.

I've found the armageddon gear cover to fit perfectly, no fraying. I leave my cover in position all day.

Anyone know what the fuzzy felt material is that is used on them?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I just got a SASR with VELCRO in the mail today. I think they suggest the TAB to the rear. So the "cone" prevents it from sliding back. Can you put it on reverse so you can slide it off to the barrel. Or is it , no big deal, if I'm shooting 10-15 round strings to worry about cooling it.

It sure is necessary with my can.
Mirage is a son of a gun.......and you can't touch it for 15-20 minutes.

I've got the Armaggedon for my Thunderbeast 30P1 and it works great. Not only does it help combat the mirage but it keeps you and other shooters from getting burns from a very hot can. Not that you would ever put your can up against someone on purpose but people are curious and tend to want to touch them. Like a kid and a hot stove I guess. With the cover on it I can give it a twist once in awhile to make sure it is still tight.

Pappasniper, the SAS1 cover MUST be installed with the label to the rear and with the internal ridge behind the back of the can.

This built in ridge is what keeps the cover from sliding forward under recoil. If you put it on with the label at the muzzle end of the can you will most certainly shoot the cover down range within a few rounds. It will creep forward until muzzle blast flings it down range and will damage the cover and possible shoot a hole in it.

Also, on the SAS1 cover, you must make sure that you wrap the cover around the can while making sure that there are no gaps where the inner material meets that would allow heat from the can to seep past the heat material and damage the Cordura outer covering.

I don't know what caliber or rifle you're shooting but I have never ever heard of a 10-15 round string causing any problems with any can with any model of cover left in place.

Thanks a lot for your business.

I got a message back from Rifles Only, with the SAS R, you can reverse it if you desire. ONLY THE SAS R. Not the 1-2- or 3.
Mine fits great and is very clean.

Thank you Pappasniper for the added information that I did not provide.

The SAS1,2, and 3 all have a built in ridge at the label end of the cover that MUST be behind the back edge of the can to prevent the cover from being shot down range within a few rounds.

The SASR is a different animal in construction all around. The seam is on the inside so the cover is very sleek with no exposed seams.

There is also no ridge at the rear so it can be installed and removed with the can on the weapon. HOWEVER, it is up to the user to ensure that they have the retention device, either the bungee or Velcro strap, tight enough to keep the cover from sliding under recoil.

On the bungee model I recommend tightening the bungee like your shoe laces to ensure you have tension throughout the length of the cover.