• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the Swarovski SLC 10x 42 and 8x42 Binoculars worth the cash?

I looked long and hard at the Swaro el range 10x42s, but could not see myself using them hunting. At the range I could baby them, but in the woods they would get banged up and the Swaro warranty is just 2 years on electronics, so I went with the Vortez Fury 5000s instead cuz their warranty is VIP or very important promise that they will fix or replace it forever/unlimited lifetime and the Fury gen II glass is amazing even if it’s not swaro class and you can nearly buy 3 Fury’s for the price of one set of Swaros...

I have looked through nothing better than the Swaros. If you have the $$$ and want the best Swaro is the best. JMHO

Well this thread among others on SH have convinced me so I'll be ordering some 10x42's in two weeks.

Swaros are great.
My bud has a set.
I run Zeiss Victory.
Tripod mounting will impress the true quality of the glass.

R

10x42 Has the right balance for me for field of view, aperture, and exit pupil. At about 5mm exit pupil I notice some very slight spikiness on the brightest stars, due to my eyes, but it really bothers me- it's nice to have the bright stars be perfectly round. For prolonged viewing I prefer the mount, for quick views or while traveling I could hand hold the 10x42s.

I had a pair of Fuji 16x70, they were truly excellent and sharp and contrasty. Only problem was the eye relief was too tight for me, so not comfortable for extended viewing and so I sold them. Fuji 10x50 were very good, comfortable to use, had excellent sharpness most of the way to the edge, but for some reason did not have impressive contrast- the view was a little flat, so I returned those.( perhaps just the pair I had had an issue).

best.

Something I neglected to ask in here is are these still good to use for people who wear glasses? I wear glasses, not particularly thick ones, but I'm wondering if I'll still be able to see the full field of view with the eye cups fully retracted. I should be ordering a pair of 10x42 on Saturday but that's one last question I have.

Last edited:
My hunting partner spotted my 17’ elk @1300 with his swaros. I could not see it with my nocs. Looking through his and seeing the bull was the moment I realized they were worth the money.

Granted having a partner with them is the best of both worlds, still got the bull and he spent the cash (y)

I read the 17' as 17 foot/feet and was like that's a motherfucking monster hahahaha

Reactions: DangerRanger
Something I neglected to ask in here is are these still good to use for people who wear glasses? I wear glasses, not particularly thick ones, but I'm wondering if I'll still be able to see the full field of view with the eye cups fully retracted. I should be ordering a pair of 10x42 on Saturday but that's one last question I have.

I use my 15x SLC's with glasses and with contacts, FOV is the same for me.

EuroOptic ended up having a like-new demo model of the Swarovski EL 10x50 available so I ordered those instead. I couldn't pass it up at that price. Now to start picking out a good tripod for binocular use.

Last edited:
Reactions: 338LMAI
I wear sunglasses with my 10x42 and with the adjustable eye cups I have no issues. Crank them down with glasses on our pull them out with no glasses.

I was a confirmed Nikon Monarch user for years...til I spend a weekend with a pair of 10x42 Swaro EL 10x42's last summer. Took them and my Monarchs on a camping trip and couldn't believe the detail at long ranges that was much more refined in the EL's. Especially in the shadows, details were clear with the Swarovski's that weren't even visible in the Monarch's. Bought the Swaro's as soon as I got back from my trip.
That said...I do still feel the Nikon are the best under $500 bino out there.
But another thing that has been mentioned. I actually work for a company that supplies optics to our local (Edmonton, Canada) LE and some military. I've access to, and supply all the major brands.
These people are hard on their glass and I have never had a repair sent to Swarovski, some of which had seen a LOT of abuse come back with a repair charge. Swarovski just seems to fix everything quickly and at no charge...period.

I've owned every 15x Bino on the market trying to avoid spending the money on the SLC's. I failed, and wish I would have just bought them earlier. They are very nice, If you want to spend less, the Bushnell Forge 15x and the Meopta Meostar 15x are the only two that would have my consideration.

I imagine the equality extends into the 8x and 10x range, as it is ever present the higher magnification you go.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Good luck, from everything I’ve read their customer service is stellar so you should be fine, but if they make you pay for the fix I’d be interested in approximately what it cost to have the electronics refurbished...

Just received my binoculars back from Swarovski optik repair, and I did not have to pay a dime for any of the work they performed. I sent them in due to an electronic issue, and received them back looking absolutely new. The repair order stated "Product underwent repair and replacement of eye cup set, rubber armouring, and various small parts and internal cleaning." With customer service like this, and the obvious optical performance, I can without a doubt say this is one of the best investments I've ever made.

Gotta tag in here. I have been looking into a quality pair of binos for a while now as well. Does anyone have experience with the maven b2 series? I know I would love a pair of EL’s but that’s not in the cards right now.

Had the chance to look through the mavens and was not impressed. Seemed like there was tunneling, and not a super wide FOV.

Comparing them to my Bushnell Forge 15x56’s, would go Forge 100% again I feel I were to have to pick between the two.

I have the SLC 15 x 56. Image color and depth are awesome. It hurts to buy Swarovski, but every time you look through them you will thank yourself. Did you ever notice that when an RO is using a Swarovski product there are fewer disputed calls?

I have the SLC 15 x 56. Image color and depth are awesome. It hurts to buy Swarovski, but every time you look through them you will thank yourself. Did you ever notice that when an RO is using a Swarovski product there are fewer disputed calls?

I have owned a pair for a few weeks now.

“You sure that’s not a hit, I think I edged?”

Me: “nope. Saw the trace the whole time. You missed low and edged the hanger. No hit”

I have owned a pair for a few weeks now.

“You sure that’s not a hit, I think I edged?”

Me: “nope. Saw the trace the whole time. You missed low and edged the hanger. No hit”

I've done the same thing with my Forge binos to a few people. In the case of the Forge, a couple looked at me funny until they looked through the binos, at which point they promptly stopped arguing.

I bought some new 10x42 SLC’s 6 years ago for $1500. Absolutely loved them. Sold them a few months ago for $1200.

They hold their value.

I used the money and added to it (sold a rifle also) and bought the 10x42 EL Range bino’s. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE them. No regrets whatsoever after hunting with them in Africa last month.

I don’t think you’ll regret spending the money. The SLC’s are great and Swarovski will back them up if you have any issues.

If you buy used make sure to verify serial number with Swarovski to make sure they are genuine and haven’t been reported lost or stolen. They (of course) will not repair or warranty if this is the case.

I will add - I was planning to go with 8x42’s initially and was glad I didn’t. The field of view on the 10’s is very good and the extra power is very helpful. They are not shaky. Also the resale on the 10’s seems to be much better if you ever end up upgrading or switching (like I did).