• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Are there any USA (or at least non-China) made binoculars available under $500?

91Eunozs

The Man (Retired)
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 9, 2013
    south central Texas
    I’m in the market for a set of relatively small(ish), and cheap binoculars, or maybe even a monocular to throw in my truck and to have for range use when I don’t want to drag out a spotter scope. Want at least 10x power, but not too hung up on objective diameter.

Plenty of options out there, but just saw my go-to for reasonably priced US branded optics, Leupold, now has their lower-end stuff made in…China?!?! Was looking at their BX1 and 2...made in China. Not sure on the BX4.

Really like everything about the Athlon Cronos…but made in China. Also looked at the Zeiss Terra, Steiner Bluehorizons, KowaBD…. China, China, China.

WTF?

Pretty much giving up on finding anything USA made at this price point, and about to punt and just get a Vortex Viper HD…Philippines, but at least not made in China.

Anyone know of something in this ballpark?

Possibly Germany, but I can't be sure.

Get these:

but lock it down to your tripod in this:

Handheld, everything sucks.

Binos on a bag = Binos on the ground. IMO

Have watched it happened twice. Neither one was severely damaged, but not happening to my glass.

the glass on the Leicas will allow you to see like a 15x from a cheaper brand like Vortex

This is the bottom of Leica, but still very nice, especially for the $

I have the 8x, the HD versions are supposedly better but we're splitting hairs at this point.

You'll pay double for the HD with barely perceptible difference.

Birding is one thing. Spotting hits and reading wind is another.

Personally, I would not leave these in the vehicle in hot summer for my budget.

Steiner has dozens of binos for under $500. Off hand I have a Tactical 10x42 with ranging reticle, Predator 10x42, and a Marine 7x50, all were well under $500.

Possibly Germany, but I can't be sure.

Get these:

but lock it down to your tripod in this:

Handheld, everything sucks.

Binos on a bag = Binos on the ground. IMO

Have watched it happened twice. Neither one was severely damaged, but not happening to my glass.

the glass on the Leicas will allow you to see like a 15x from a cheaper brand like Vortex

This is the bottom of Leica, but still very nice, especially for the $

I have the 8x, the HD versions are supposedly better but we're splitting hairs at this point.

You'll pay double for the HD with barely perceptible difference.

Birding is one thing. Spotting hits and reading wind is another.

Personally, I would not leave these in the vehicle in hot summer for my budget.
    Thanks!

Looks like it’s made in Portugal… and yeah, meant to say “in my range bag” vs in my truck. Wouldn’t leave it in there in the hot Texas sun!

Steiner has dozens of binos for under $500. Off hand I have a Tactical 10x42 with ranging reticle, Predator 10x42, and a Marine 7x50, all were well under $500.
    The ones I saw for under $500 were all made in China… will look again though.

Thanks for the input

These are great quality IMO for the price. I read made in Japan but you can research further.

I use the bx4 10x42 for hunting and they’re a great pair of binos and can also be had for under $500 if you look around

Meopta optika HDs are going to be tough to beat at the price point. I really don't think you can beat them.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    These are great quality IMO for the price. I read made in Japan but you can research further.
    Probably has as much chicom shit in them as anyone else. They are decent binos for the money glass wise.

Leupold is the OG of the switch/bait bullshit labeling.

Well, after going back and forth, and even trying some of the options from Vortex and Leupold, went with the Meopta Optika HD in 10x42

AB0B085F-A59F-43DE-B7FF-CE8B4D199FAF.jpeg

Seems like really nice glass for the price. Another smooth and easy transaction with Eurooptic…fast shipping too.

Looking forward to trying them out at the range mañana.

Reactions: Milf Dots
    Well, after going back and forth, and even trying some of the options from Vortex and Leupold, went with the Meopta Optika HD in 10x42

View attachment 7854530

Seems like really nice glass for the price. Another smooth and easy transaction with Eurooptic…fast shipping too.

You couldn't have bought better in that price range. I keep a pair of these Optika HD 10x42 around as a backup and they are fantastic. I run their B1 Plus binos in 15x56 for spotting and 8x32, for hunting, as my primaries.

They may be made in China

Bhphoto has Nikon 10x 3S refurbished for under $100

The one i got was very nice for the $

Going to get a 2nd one

I usually use low end Leica

View attachment 7854530

Where are your Meopta made? Thanks

Leupold BX-4’s are really nice and made in Japan. I got mine on a Black Friday sale a few years ago from Cabelas for like $300. Not sure what they are now but even if they were $500 I’d gladly pay that for them.

Reactions: Simonsza1
    Leupold BX-4’s are really nice and made in Japan. I got mine on a Black Friday sale a few years ago from Cabelas for like $300. Not sure what they are now but even if they were $500 I’d gladly pay that for them.
    Yes my bx4 are great!

Reactions: whiskey_papa