• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are Timney triggers worth it?

Texas43

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2014
Texas
Are Timney triggers worth it or should I spend the extra money on a Jewell's trigger?

personal preference and your overall use.
the Timney Calvin Elite is said to offer a feel of the Jewell with the known reliability of the Timney 510. I've had both Jewell and Timney and prefer the feel of the Jewell. My new build is getting the Calvin

They are both great triggers, and each has it's place. Most of my rifles are meant to shoot in any environment, be it dirty or clean, so I use Timney. However, on my bench target rifle which will never be shot anywhere but a clean concrete bench, I use a Jewell.

^^^ What he said!

I prefer the Timney on a hunt set at 2.5 lb and the Jewel on the bench.

Can only speak from personal experience with Timney. Got the Drop in, #4 lb in both an AR15 and AR10. No issues. Have been very happy with them. Smooth and crisp break. Made the decision and purchase during the build process. Better out there but this works for my application.

Robert

I was very happy with both. I have shot a 510 and 517 Timney trigger. Loved it at the time. That being said, my Surgeon has a Jewell and I don't think I could go back to a Timney.

At a match last weekend a thunderstorm rolled thru and two shooters had Calvin Elite's break. I have a 510 with flat shoe and it worked great. I hear Jewell's are real finicky in adverse conditions, but I don't have any experience with it.

Both are great triggers and provide a crisp adjustable trigger pull. The Jewell has a narrow shoe and the Timney has a wide shoe. Some like one of the other just on trigger feel alone.

Yes!!! I love the Timney. Called them up direct and ordered 2 with 2.5# pull. 1000x better. Love the wide shoe with the grooves.

Love everything about them. I hunt with my rifles so another reason I chose Timney.

That is my opinion. My personal opinion. Take care and shoot straight.

I prefer Jewell but have been going with Timney lately. Partially because of the reliability in the field, cost and not having to inlet the AICS chassis.

I much prefer timney in the bush, and really don't feel it's pricey for the difference it makes. Just my opinion

So is Timney more for hunting since y'all said they're better in the field and Jewell's are more for competition and ranges?
I manly hunt so it will get dirty, are they reliable for hunting?

The Timney 510 is well worth it and it is definitely a good trigger with a crisp break and has been proven to be reliable.

I've got both and actually prefer the feel of the Timney. They both break clean, the timney has the wide shoe that I prefer and I set at 2lbs. so no real advantage to the jewell for me.

Do not get the Timney drop in for an AR. I have it. It is not adjustable and has creep. I'm not happy with it.

yes! after growing up with the old rem tigger the timney feel is the only way to go. I have put one on my 223's,ar 15's, 22-250's, 243,257bob, 25-05,270wsm, 7saum,30-06,and 300 wsm. like the big fat feel of the full control of that fat groved trigger!!! 2 to 2.5# on them all.

I have a Timney 517 on my Remington 700. It's advertised to go down to 1.5 but I was able to adjust it down to 1.0 lbs according to my wheeler trigger scale. I love the trigger on the 700 but I can only compare it to the factory XMarkPro. Never shot a Jewell so I cannot comment.

For AR platforms I prefer Geissele. I have a SD-E and SD-3G on two of my builds. Also have RRA, CMC, and HiperFire running on my other builds.

Having just installed one myself up also have to say its one of the best upgrades you can make. For what you get it's a steak I much prefer the large trigger and the break is crisp. I kept mine at the factory setting because I didn't want something to light

I have the Timney Competition 3lb in my Recce rifle. Breaks like glass

I've used about every trigger there is by now. I have always went back to the Timney 517. I really like that flat shoe design and the clean single stage break. 2.5 lbs is perfect for me.

Yes !...I run timney in all of my rifles....bolt & gas & love them....great quality warranty & product

After putting a 517 on my competition rifle, I will never use anything else. Very smooth, crisp break.

Another hell yes for the timney trigger. Every Remington 700 I own is equipped with a 510, great trigger.

Another vote for the Timney. I cant stand the vague mush feel of the Jewell. Damn things choke on the red dust that gets into everything here in Western Oklahoma.

I have no idea how anyone would feel odd...This trigger is crisp as can be.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Didn't even consider anything but a Timney when I built my 43 Izzy M-N / Archangel. Rode over to the factory about three miles away and picked it up . They reset it from 3 1/2 lbs , down to 2lbs while I waited . About fives minutes . It "breaks" same way every time . Love it .