• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are "Turned/Milled" .338 Lapua bullets better?

TacBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Wyoming
I found some turned 252gr Cutting Edge bullets for my .338 Lapua at a fairly reasonable price. Are they a better bullet than theSierra Matchkings, for example? I found these for $55.00 per 50? They go for $75.99 from Sinclair. Thanks!

Re: Are "Turned/Milled" .338 Lapua bullets better?

I guess no one uses turned bullets, so I will just pass on them

Some people do use turned bullets, the problem is they are far more expensive than a jacketed projectile, and unless you are actually shooting Long Range, you'll think you wasted your money.
Here's a little bit about one of the guys bringing this tech forward:
If you are intrigued by the ballistic performance of lathe-turned solids, check out the website of Germany’s Lutz Möller. Lutz has produced a series of ultra-high BC bullets, both solids and conventionally jacketed projectiles. His 105-LM bullet for the .338 Lapua won the 2005 Lapua Sniper Cup. The circular driving bands you see are a distinctive feature of Möller’s bullets. The bands reduce drag in ultra-long bullets by effectively reducing the bearing surface in contact with the rifling. This 105-LM bullet has an amazing BC of 0.93. Lutz also has a .408 Chey-Tac bullet with a 0.95 calculated BC!

the question is what are you going to use them for. If you are just plinking, then the jacketed bullets are a far more cost effective alternative. If you are looking to shoot steel with them you better be a good distance away, unless you are shooting AR400 or AR500. I shoot mostly jacketed bullets through my 338LM, but the solids do a great job on my AR500 steel. I have some of the high BC solids, but they need a super tight twist to work well.

Jeffvn

I wanted to add, do not be put off by the weights of the bullets! Let's face it, there are a lot of guys, many on this board as a matter of fact, that believe the heavier bullet (all things being equal such as general shape) will always have the higher BC, they are wrong, big time. The shape of these projectiles [turned] can not be, or can not be easily achieved with a jacket/core and forming dies. They aren't that easy to make as a solid! That is one of the reasons the materials they are made from is "hard", it is easier to machine and hold the high tolerances. Even with the standard jacket-lead core bullets, those that have been run through a tipping die usually have a good gain in BC (the smaller the bullet the higher the gain %), check out the 155SMK Palma's BC vs heavier projectiles (Sierra runs them through a tipping die). With all this said, if you are going to be shooting 1000+ there is a good chance you'll get the benefit of the high dollar turned projectiles. If you do, please post here how the did, I know I'm not the only one that would love to see your results!

Do you mean like a company like this...

http://gscustom.co.za/

I've looked at them but havn't tried them yet. Looks like they would be somewhat better than jacketed bullets for target shooting but just don't know.