• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are we using too much scope?

D1gger

GDI
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 12, 2017
    Staunton, VA
    So I finally was able to purchase a decent higher end scope, Gen III Razor, and got it out on the range at distance to shoot it this weekend, and that's where the question came up. So, I'll be using this pretty much exclusively on my PRS rig, and maybe move it over to my 300 PRC if I want to shoot a match with that. That being said, I, and most other PRS shooters don't go much over 15-18 power, unless they are going prone. With these FFP scopes, especially with this Razor, the top end is 36x, meaning the reticle is about 1/2 the size it is at max power. To take full advantage of the reticle, wouldn't we be better served with a 3-15x or a 4-16x or something similar? Don't get me wrong, this Razor is pretty sweet. Just curious if anyone else has thought about this

I just picked up a mark 8 3.5 to 25. I am used to 3-18 and sticking around 12-15x the majority of the match. With more top end magnification like 25 or 35 you get a little better eyebox at 18-22x. At least that is what I have experienced with Leupold Mark series. If I max out the 3-18 the eyebox is pretty tight. 25-35x is nice for shooting paper and observation.

lol no such thing , as a mag whore I am proud to say a little is never enough and more is only better as long as it's usable a blurry mess helps no one . but not being able to see what you wanted to see just sucks .

So I finally was able to purchase a decent higher end scope, Gen III Razor, and got it out on the range at distance to shoot it this weekend, and that's where the question came up. So, I'll be using this pretty much exclusively on my PRS rig, and maybe move it over to my 300 PRC if I want to shoot a match with that. That being said, I, and most other PRS shooters don't go much over 15-18 power, unless they are going prone. With these FFP scopes, especially with this Razor, the top end is 36x, meaning the reticle is about 1/2 the size it is at max power. To take full advantage of the reticle, wouldn't we be better served with a 3-15x or a 4-16x or something similar? Don't get me wrong, this Razor is pretty sweet. Just curious if anyone else has thought about this
    Magnification sells scopes to the general public, where actual optical performance is what sells scopes to competitors. Do both and you have a scope that reaches the broadest audience.

Its user dependent. Most people run around 15x so target acquisition is easier but most of the pros run 20-25x as they have perfected the rifle placement such that the target is in view even at higher zoom. They care about where the round hits on the target & center it up

Its user dependent. Most people run around 15x so target acquisition is easier but most of the pros run 20-25x as they have perfected the rifle placement such that the target is in view even at higher zoom. They care about where the round hits on the target & center it up
    this

also...i'd rather be at 20x on a 6-36 than 20x on a 4-20 (or16x on a 4-16)

middle magnification will always beat max magnification

I tried moving to lower powered scopes. Immediately regretted that decision and moved back to higher power scopes.

With these FFP scopes, especially with this Razor, the top end is 36x, meaning the reticle is about 1/2 the size it is at max power. To take full advantage of the reticle, wouldn't we be better served with a 3-15x or a 4-16x or something similar? Don't get me wrong, this Razor is pretty sweet. Just curious if anyone else has thought about this

Not how it works. A 4-16 will look the same on max power. If you think you need the whole reticle then a higher powered scope at mid range will give you more reticle for holds. That said you can always dial a 36x scope down to 16x but try and dial a 4-16x up to 36x. Doesn't work.

Less is more. Forgetting all the reticle features. Even just staying on target is much easier at lower powers. You only really need to use full power when confirming your zero. Otherwise up to 20x should be more than enough for most prs engagements.

I use my glass around 10-16 top end, but when shooting groups, it’s nice to have extra. My mid range guns (6arc-223) have dmr3 3-21 and my rpr has a 6-36

So part of the reason is gonna be it looks good and different on the spec sheet sure. But an actual benefit as has been said is going to be using a 36x scope on 15-20x for a match is going to give you better more forgiving eyebox, more FOV, less optical artifacts, better contrast and light gathering, etc. Then say a 4-16x scope ran at 16x the whole time.

Also with load development or spotting on paper it is easier to see/spot the group with the higher magnification.

Reactions: plamia2

You'd be surprised how many winning PRS (regional level or otherwise) use 25x (or higher). But you won't find them on forums telling everyone and getting into arguments. Plenty of shooters also prefer 15-20x. It's just all preference and ability to get on target fast enough.

Similar to how many were dialing wind for a long time and not bothering to argue with the "never dial wind" crowd on forums. And now dialing wind is becoming more and more accepted as word gets out.

If you build a really solid position, more magnification can certainly help in some instances. More precise holds and the ability to really see where your impacts land on a plate are certainly beneficial. Just don't use too much mag where you can't spot your impacts.

I just shot a match (first one in a while), and shot the whole thing on 12x. I believe I certainly left some points on the table on certain stages by not using more magnification. If I had a re-do, I would shoot some stages on more power to more precisely locate my impacts on the plates, and to have more precise holds at distance.

Reactions: camocorvette

Isn't this question something that should have been considered before buying a scope?

ETA: Gross conceptual error in the bolded part

Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette
    I'd say the important thing is if you're going high mag buy a good one. Nothing like a cheap scope that goes fuzzy over 15x. I'll shoot 15x offhand but lots of people I know won't go above 6x. If you can make use of it more magnification can be more precise.

I don't think you can have to much mag. The middle of the range will always be slightly more clear also. I use the gen 3 it's great for shooting groups on 36 but then turn it down to 15ish for comps. I can't think of any good reason to go to one of the 4-20 mag scopes.

Reactions: kthomas