• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are Westhunter scopes any good?

Do yourself a favor and get an Arken scope. Also made in China, but with good American design and QA of the product. Their entry line is the SH4. A little heavy, but that is due to the number of lenses (that means better than Westhunter).

Getting any marginal or poor-quality scope is an even worse idea at higher magnification. a 4x scope can hide some imperfections, but getting a 6x24 scope means that they will all show in a miserable way. And, you get added attention at the range from people who want to see a scope they have never heard of.

Take a look at the mid-magnification Arken here.

If Arken is not your thing, you can buy an Athlon or Burris or one of the lower-end Vortex scopes, and be reasonably happy. Stick to the 4-16x range give or take. If you have a reason to go for more magnification, then you will want to upgrade your budget. Arken still has a good scope in that range, as does Athlon and Strike Eagle.

Reactions: Nik S
I'm looking at a westhunter FFP 6 x 24 x 50 scope for my .308 and I'm wondering if anyone has tried this product.
NO, JUST NO!!! West Hunter is just plain crap. So are Monstrum Tactical among other brands sold in the $200-$800 price point you really need to do your own due diligence before buying anything Chinese made since many of them are just plain junk or ridiculously overpriced for what you actually get.

.the Sightmark Presidio 5-30x56 is your absolute best bang for your buck in Chinese made optics for $314.99 currently on Amazon with free shipping. They typically sell for around $450. I'd rate it in line with if not better than the Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56 and Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 at a much lower price. It also has a lifetime warranty. At this current sale price you won't lose any money if you decide to sell it later especially if you use Burris Signature XTR rings that keep the scope looking pristine and won't ever leave any marks or blemish on that scope tube. It will look as though the scope was never mounted. The scope is factory rated to a .338.

It's predecessor, the Sightmark Citadel was rated extremely high in quality and reliability and the new Presidio improved on it with newly designed and engineered turrets with more total elevation travel and a zero stop.

The 3-18x50 Presidio is also on sale for $279.99 with free shipping on Amazon. It's a much better option than any Arken.

It's Sightmark selling through Amazon that's why they can sell them at this current sale prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik S
Who is Westhunter? lol

WESTHUNTER OPTICS
tels.jpg
+86 18971039380
Email:[email protected]
Guannanyuanyilu,Donghugaoxinqu,Wuhan,Hubei,China

o_O

OP, posts 3 and 4 are sage.
Common misconception is that higher magnification = better scope.

If your budget is in the $100-$300 range, might also do some research on the fixed 10x from SWFA. Sacrifice variability for a very durable, serviceable scope at your price point.

People need to stop recommending the SWFA SS. Its a 20 year old design and prescription, and lives on reputation alone. Even back then, the glass was shit compared to quality optics. Today, the cheap chicom stuff has it beat in quality and features, sad to say. Even their top of the line 5-20, is pretty shitty based on modern standards.

I shit on the chicom shit as much as anyone, but you cant compare a $300, 20 year old jap scope to a $300 modern chicom scope. Like comparing a motorola razor to a iphone 8.

People need to stop recommending the SWFA SS. Its a 20 year old design and prescription, and lives on reputation alone. Even back then, the glass was shit compared to quality optics. Today, the cheap chicom stuff has it beat in quality and features, sad to say. Even their top of the line 5-20, is pretty shitty based on modern standards.

I shit on the chicom shit as much as anyone, but you cant compare a $300, 20 year old jap scope to a $300 modern chicom scope. Like comparing a motorola razor to a iphone 8.
lol, fair enough.
It’s what I started on, and it served.
Haven’t tried the newer entry level chi product and defer on glass/features.
Mine’s sitting on a shelf these days, but still a solid construction.

Reactions: Scopeye
lol, fair enough.
It’s what I started on, and it served.
Haven’t tried the newer entry level chi product and defer on glass/features.
Mine’s sitting on a shelf these days, but still a solid construction.
Their sheer ruggedness and reliability still makes the old SWFA SS scopes up to their 12x a good option even today especially for their price as long as SWFA keeps on supporting their scopes. The day they quit backing their scopes is the day their obsolescence really kicks in.

Reactions: cooper_257
you average 1 post per 8.5 years. and this is what you give us?
And you have a problem with that? It's a question about a scope. Don't get yer panties tied in a knot, buckaroo. I guess best practice is to keep questions to myself since you "experts" have nothing significant to offer,
FYI, I served 23 years in the canadian armed forces and taught recruit training for three years. Where I come from, there is no such thing as a stupid question other that the question that isn't asked.

Last edited:
I'm neither a troll or a fedboi whatever the hell that is, I have better things to do than sit on a computer screen and play "sniper with a bunch of wannabes". I'm here as a member asking honest legit questions. If you dont like it F%$# you!
Ok troll/fedboi.

You have had an account for almost 20 years, and 3 out of 4 posts are in this thread.

Did you bump your head and fall into a comma for the last 20 years?

No one falls for your shit.

And you have a problem with that? It's a question about a scope. Don't get yer panties tied in a knot, buckaroo. I guess best practice is to keep questions to myself since you "experts" have nothing significant to offer,
FYI, I served 23 years in the canadian armed forces and taught recruit training for three years. Where I come from, there is no such thing as a stupid question other that the question that isn't asked.
So a Canadian FedBoi?

What does Castro Jr's asshole smell like?

• Haha
Reactions: ggro