• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Area 419 15 or 30 moa

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Greetings,

Just about ready to make an order to get my nrl22 rifle finalized.

I am debating on the area 419 15 or 30 moa rail. I am going to run an nx8 (not sure if 2.5-20 or 4-32 yet) but I want to make sure I can get out to 300+ yards with it.

My thoughts on the 15moa is will be lower so I won't have get a cheek piece riser on it and if I get a 30 it will kick the scope high enough to where I might.

Anyone have insight on the rail cant (and maybe the nx8 choice)?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Onto what rifle/stock will this be mounted? Both models of the NX8 you listed have 50mm objectives...which often times require a cheek riser regardless.

I have a CZ455 Varmint in the wood CZ stock with the 30 MOA Area 419 rail and an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50. Using the lowest rings I could find (Vortex Hunter lows) the cheek weld is perfect with no riser. Disclaimer - I have a big fat Korean head so your mileage may vary. It takes me about 11 mils to get to 300y so I can get to about 400 on the turrets and 10 mils more on the reticle.

Attachments

• CZ-5358.JPG
    CZ-5358.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Reactions: Jgunner
CZ 455 has a high bolt throw. You might need to take this into consideration when choosing your rings. It might be the deciding factor, more so than the MOA base. Enjoy.

I did go with an anarchy outdoors swept bolt handle so I'm hoping that helps with he bolt throw issue..... But to be determined as of yet.

For what it's worth I have plenty of clearance for the bolt handle. The only issue was running a throw lever on the magnification ring, I had to make sure it was biased towards the left side of the gun so it stays out of the way.

I went with the 15 on my 457. I wish I had gone 30. I didn’t realize at the time how much adjustment it took to push a 22 at distance.

Before I was running 45 minutes to 300 yards. A 32x has 29 mils of adjustment, so if it's exactly in half, add the 15 minutes from the base, I can probably go a little past 300, which probably isn't enough....

Jeremy,

On my Tikka, I started with a 15 MOA rail from Area 419 and it got me to just over 325 yards before I ran out of elevation and reticle.

Just purchased their 30 MOA rail to get me a bit further and still have a 50 yard zero. Knowing what I do now, I’d start with a 30 and call it done.

Others also add on a canted scope mount to get beyond 600 yards, but that’s not really me with a 22LR...

John

Reactions: lou400a
I went with the 15 on my 457. I wish I had gone 30. I didn’t realize at the time how much adjustment it took to push a 22 at distance.
This is where i am at.

Im in the middle of my turrets at 150 yards on a pst gen 2

Not cz but my vudoo I went from 30 to 60 moa. With a 60moa with a Athlon etr I can dial out just past 550. I can’t remember with the 30 but it was somewhere in the 400 mark with then I’d run out of clicks. Hope that helps.

Read all this and I ordered a 30moa for 50mm bell and .84" rings on Tikka. I hope it all works...waiting for mailman and brown truck to deliver it all.

JFR

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
30. No reason not to. You 'might' be able to see your barrel or suppressor at lower mags. Won't be an issue if you go over 4x.

I was running the Area 419 30 MOA rail on my Cz 457 Varmint. With a 50 yard zero it left me 19.3 mils elevation on my Ares BTR. With SK Rifle Match it would get me to 405ish depending on the day.

Reactions: JFR