• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Area 419 got rings!!

Yup, just like that along the chamfer or counterbore whatever. Can’t say “barely” but whatever.

Maybe this? I don't know.
I noticed this. It looks like a nano-dick width (technical measurement) of where the anodizing / boring / chamfer come together?
You can barely feel it with your fingernail. These things are so beautiful otherwise, I'm hard pressed to think this is an issue.
I'll buy you a steak dinner if you can see it once an optic is mounted, and or if it effects functionality.

View attachment 8051954
Thanks...do you see anything like this:

Lots of machining/tool marks on the exterior ring surfaces

I ask because everything I have ever bought from 419 has been machined and finished beautifully but I also do not disbelieve @TheOE800 at all. Just sort of wondering if he got a one off, less that perfect, escaped past QA, set of rings or???

Maybe this? I don't know.
I noticed this. It looks like a nano-dick width (technical measurement) of where the anodizing / boring / chamfer come together?
You can barely feel it with your fingernail. These things are so beautiful otherwise, I'm hard pressed to think this is an issue.
I'll buy you a steak dinner if you can see it once an optic is mounted, and or if it effects functionality.

View attachment 8051954

If the broken edge of the anodizing is on the chamfer, I doubt that it will come into contact with the scope body. As you stated, it may be cosmetic...

If the broken edge of the anodizing is on the chamfer, I doubt that it will come into contact with the scope body. As you stated, it may be cosmetic...
I mentioned as much when I brought it up.

Reactions: Baron23
Thanks...do you see anything like this:

I ask because everything I have ever bought from 419 has been machined and finished beautifully but I also do not disbelieve @TheOE800 at all. Just sort of wondering if he got a one off, less that perfect, escaped past QA, set of rings or???
I don't but I also bought an MDT "blem/second" where apparently it has tool marks that were unacceptable in QC. I have yet to find them.

Like I said earlier, I think the rings are a work of art. I got the pic rail for them as well, for a Send It level. The caps are serialized, the tolerances are thinner than a sheen of oil, the finish is fit and stunning.

I'm not fanboi'ing Craig or Area 419 specifically, but the product speaks for itself. Area 419, as usual, knocks it out of the park.

Last edited:
I’m not a huge fan of toolpathing.
A65145E7-2FA5-4885-8FD9-4E104256AF79.jpeg

Reactions: toader
One thing I can say I absolutely don’t like is the steel screw threads into the aluminum. Yeah for scope rings that’s fairly normal but for clamping jaws it’s not and probably the only ring/mount in my possession that threads directly into aluminum there.

Yes, but isn't that true of all aluminum rings...that is, the fasteners are steel?
Perhaps? These are my first rings in over ten years. My unimounts have 1/2” nuts that thread onto steel studs (military style) or a steel threadsert on the opposite side of the clamp bar that the bolt screws into.

Things I do like include the pinned caps, similar in function I presume to the skirted caps that RRS included on their mounts.

Perhaps? These are my first rings in over ten years. My unimounts have 1/2” nuts that thread onto steel studs (military style) or a steel threadsert on the opposite side of the clamp bar that the bolt screws into.

Things I do like include the pinned caps, similar to in function I presume to the skirted caps that RRS included on their mounts.
Yeah, I couldn't say, personally. I have only run steel rings and have never own aluminum.

Cheers

7075 alu, and threads. I'm gonna put a wager that the threads are roll tapped, not cut tapped.
This would be the correct way to put any thread in alloy as it makes them stronger.

@flyer1a can you confirm ?

7075 alu, and threads. I'm gonna put a wager that the threads are roll tapped, not cut tapped.
This would be the correct way to put any thread in alloy as it makes them stronger.

@flyer1a can you confirm ?
7075, yes, but these are cut tapped because of the fairly thin sidewalls of the ring. With the hard ano after cutting, we thought it the best method.

The tool-pathing on top was an intentional design choice. Pure aesthetic of liking those lines to give the part some texture/character.
Also, the places the ano has marginally chipped or flaked on that chamfer, that's why the chamfer is there. Anodize is basically a hard candy shell, so to go back in and bore post-ano will cause that to happen in every situation we could muster, so to isolate and minimize it, we have that little chamfer to keep any chipping or flaking from being any larger than what you're seeing. You'll also see it happen where the insude wall of the bored ring meets the "flats" where the two halves of the ring connect.

What we think you guys will really notice though, and we have had independently verified by friends in the optics manufacturing world - greater grip on the optic, with less force on the main tube, resulting on fewer instances of slippage or optical drift!