• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Area 419 Hellfire Match vs. Sidewinder

USNIGHTGUNNER

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I’m considering the Area 419 muzzle brake system for my rifle setups, and I need to lean on those that run that system for some advice.

Current bolt action rifles: Remington 700 20” .308, AI AT 6.5 CM, AI AXSR 300 PRC.

Current cans for the system: TBAC- Ultra 338 BA, Ultra 9, Magnus.

I feel that the Hellfire Match possibly makes more sense on the .308 and the 6.5CM, but how does the Match compare to the Sidewinder on a 300 PRC?

This may not be a one size fits all scenario, especially if I roll with a .300/ .338 Norma Mag on the AXSR in the future, but for now, I’m curious how well the Hellfire Match will handle the 300 PRC as opposed to the Sidewinder.

Any and all input on this questions and the system in general is appreciated.

The Hellfire 'Match' is essentially a Sidewinder brake on a Hellfire mount. In all honesty it's probably a little overkill for most of your popular competition 6/6.5s, but it'll handle the PRC without issue.

I had both Hellfire and Sidewinder brakes previously, now only the Hellfire match. To me I can't tell much difference in performance between any of them, but the harder you drive them, the better they work.

I don’t feel like they’re the same at all. I switched from the sidewinder to the match. Both reduce recoil significantly. The match seems to give less muzzle rise and is easier to control. Shooting with free recoil the sidewinder would cause the rifle to jump all over the place, just not back into your shoulder. The sidewinder is also significantly louder to everyone except the shooter.

Reactions: USNIGHTGUNNER
What is the end goal? The A419 brakes kinda suck IMO, and I have 3 of them. They also come loose and can be a bitch. The A419 tool is a must have.

The APA Gen 3 fat Bastard is more effective
The ACE has way less concussion.

The sweet spot may be (havent bought one yet, only shot and REALLY liked it) the ATS brake from Aaron Hipp. Very good recoil mitigation, reticle falls back on target within a few tenths, and you can stand next to it without any real concussion. Its a pretty amazing brake IMO.

I have a few of every brake spread around different guns and match barrels. I am going to give this a shot next season once I get the gun retuned.

What is the end goal? The A419 brakes kinda suck IMO, and I have 3 of them. They also come loose and can be a bitch. The A419 tool is a must have.

The APA Gen 3 fat Bastard is more effective
The ACE has way less concussion.

The sweet spot may be (havent bought one yet, only shot and REALLY liked it) the ATS brake from Aaron Hipp. Very good recoil mitigation, reticle falls back on target within a few tenths, and you can stand next to it without any real concussion. Its a pretty amazing brake IMO.

I have a few of every brake spread around different guns and match barrels. I am going to give this a shot next season once I get the gun retuned.

For my bolt rifles I run TBAC cans, and by design the Hellfire Match appears to be a better brake than the TBAC CB/ BA brake. I like the modular concept of running a more effective brake, and then having the ability to dismount it to run a suppressor.

Outside of them coming loose, what else don't you like about the 419 brakes?

I did find this post, and no apparent issues....

My experience is that the locking collars can have a tendency to come loose if you don’t really wrench on them. But the collar itself is the only thing I’ve ever had loosen… between the taper mount and carbon-locking, the brake doesn’t ever move or lose index unless you intentionally want to take it off or move it.

I have never had the area 419 come loose i actually prefer that system , the only reason I have swapped to the fat bastard for my 6cm and 338LM is better recoil reduction. But the blast is brutal if anyone is to the side.