• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Area 419 Recoil Suppression System

I'd think a barometer, set and a defined distance and angle from the muzzle would suffice for a test standard. the concussion would change the pressure, even though momentary. Think of a trigger gauge; same concept. Only instead of measuring highest weight, this would measure highest barometric pressure detected.

The problem is getting a barometer that samples fast enough to actually pick it up.

Agreed. My point is, an existing one could be hacked to increase the sampling rate periodicity...

Maybe @Bender or @QuickNDirty could hack one(?). I wonder if they make a similar sensor for arduinos; that'd be the easiest route I'd think.

Area 419: We've created a new type of fork for people who eat steak. It is not intended to be used to eat soup with.

The Internet: This thing isn't any better at eating soup than my trusty spoon! What a piece of shit.

I think people are trying to figure out the functionality of the device since it has no real peers, and how it could potentially be beneficial to their shooting.

It's a pretty niche item from what I'm gathering. I myself would rather run a suppressor. But I'm not ultra competitive and shoot matches for fun, to learn, and meet new people.

Reactions: Skunkworx
Agreed. My point is, an existing one could be hacked to increase the sampling rate periodicity...

Maybe @Bender or @QuickNDirty could hack one(?). I wonder if they make a similar sensor for arduinos; that'd be the easiest route I'd think.

Maybe, maybe not. The hardware may be the limiting factor, or you may run into power problems when driving up the sample rate.

LOL! Are you just arguing to argue? Of course power requirements would increase (as well as waste heat), but we're talking about cobbling something together here, so there's an assumption of being able to control or supply whatever power is needed.

I feel like I’m getting dumber by the second watching people argue over a product that they have zero firsthand experience with.

I have no affiliation with 419. I shoot brakes and cans depending on situation and I shot one of these at the finale (both on Craig’s rifle and on mine).

I pre-ordered one because it does what I personally want my rifle to do upon recoil. It’s a linear, straight back impulse and yes, it’s as easy to watch trace as they are claiming (even positionally). It’s not as harsh as a brake from a blast perspective, especially in tubes/enclosures, but it gives you the feeling of shooting a brake from a recoil perspective. It manages both factors, together, better than anything else at this point. And ultimately if it’s going to help you make hits then it’s probably a worthwhile investment.

But just because I liked it or anyone else liked it doesn’t mean it will be for everyone. Get one if you want, don’t if you don’t.

LOL! Are you just arguing to argue? Of course power requirements would increase (as well as waste heat), but we're talking about cobbling something together here, so there's an assumption of being able to control or supply whatever power is needed.

I was more making the point that making a sensor perform better than it was designed is likely to be a little more complex than "hacking" it. There's commercial sensors out there that already have the performance range needed for the task at hand, though.

@flyer1a

Craig or Jon,
How is the NFA side of this device handled? While the first chamber isn't a great suppressor by design, it's still a suppressor. Does it have a separate S/N from the 2nd suppressor chamber (when ran as an 8" can)? Do the 2 chambers share S/N's? 2 tax stamps required?

@flyer1a

Craig or Jon,
How is the NFA side of this device handled? While the first chamber isn't a great suppressor by design, it's still a suppressor. Does it have a separate S/N from the 2nd suppressor chamber (when ran as an 8" can)? Do the 2 chambers share S/N's? 2 tax stamps required?

I'm not either one of them, but unless I have seriously missed something, the Stage 1 core is the serial numbered part, and the Stage 2 baffle set is just considered an add-on accessory. There's other modular cans on the market built in a similar fashion, so there's a precedent for it. I'm guessing the justification for it being one stamp is that the Stage 2 core doesn't work on it's own, but only in conjunction with the Stage 1 serial numbered part.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
I'm not either one of them, but unless I have seriously missed something, the Stage 1 core is the serial numbered part, and the Stage 2 baffle set is just considered an add-on accessory. There's other modular cans on the market built in a similar fashion, so there's a precedent for it. I'm guessing the justification for it being one stamp is that the Stage 2 core doesn't work on it's own, but only in conjunction with the Stage 1 serial numbered part.

Haywood is correct. Your serialized and registered item is the complete 8 suppressor. The removal of the second half and replacement with a brake is just a modular design. There is also no way to use that second portion as a suppressor without having a serialized core.

Also worth noting - the Core is, when you don't have a brake on it - a functional suppressor. It's not real quiet as it's 3.5" and has a huge aperture, but it's far quieter than a bare muzzle.