• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ares BTR vs Helos BTR

fvalmostthere

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Any Athlon owners out there that could tell me if the HD Glass and zero stop on the Ares is worth the extra $280 over the Helos?

Im not really refined to a budget on this scope purchase, but the more money I spend the longer I have to save to buy, probably will be mostly cabelas points, and I have none since buying the gun on Black Friday. So save longer for the ares or go with the helos?

i was actually out testing between the Athlon Argos, Helos, and Ares earlier today. I was in the same boat and wanted to see which would be best for me, so I ordered all 3. I'd like to state that this is my opinion and I think scopes are more of a personal preference. If i have to look back and forth between two scopes 5 times at the same target to determine which is better, then the extra $1000 isn't worth it. and I'd rather spend that money on something else.

i was comparing them looking at a target at 1150 yards i thought all the Athlon scopes did well. The Ares was definable clearer then the Argos and Helos, but not by much. Color wise i think they are about the same. Granted i was looking at a field of dead grass so there wasn't a lot of vibrant colors this time of year. The Ares was brighter overall with that slight edge in clarity. With all three scopes i could see the wind blowing grass next to the 1150 yard target, and read the mirage.

As far as function i like the fact that Ares goes from 4.5-27x, also the turrets were much nicer, had crisper clicks, and had more MOA per revolution. The Helos has locking turrets which is nice, and a Christmas tree reticle similar to the Ares. The one thing i noticed on the Helos is that the elevation turret clicks felt soft and not as defined, but the windage turret was loud audible clicks that were super crisp. It was a large difference between the two, which is odd as you'd expect them to be the same. I even pulled the cap off the elevation turret to clean all the excess grease out as i have seen in some reviews. While this helped the elevation turret wasn't nearly as good as the windage. I wonder if this is a common problem or if Athlon could fix this?

The Argos turrets were okay. The one thing that sorta drives me nuts on the Helos and Argos was that there was "slop" in the turrets. so once you set them on a number, you can actually wiggle the turret back and forth so it looks like you are in between ticks. but you can wiggle the turret and know which tick you were on. (its a bad description of the issue but not sure how to explain it exactly) I have a Nikon scope like this and it is dumb and sort of annoying. However, your only paying a few hundred for a scope so can't be that picky. Ares wins in turret category.

Oh and one thing i noticed is the eye relief was the same on the Argos and Helos, but the Ares was noticeably longer. Almost too much it seemed. I'm a tall guy and its possible that with out a picatinny it would be hard to move the scope far enough away from my eye. But then i guess you don't have to worry about scope eye. :)

Overall i was impressed by the three scopes. For me I think I'm gonna keep the Argos. I'm putting it on an AR for hunting. The glass seemed the same as the Helos, it has the same amount of elevation travel. The only thing the Argos lacks is the locking turrets (which isn't a big deal to me) and it doesn't have the Christmas tree style reticle. The Ares was by far the nicest. Clear glass, really nice turrets, and has the same reticle as the Helos (except the reticle lines on the Ares are thinner which i preferred).

If i was building a long range bolt rifle, or wanted to use it for competitions then i would buy the Ares. It was a really nice scope and i would choose it over another Vortex PST since it is $200 cheaper, and i think performs just as well.

A little update. I was playing with the Argos more tonight, and figured out the sloppiness of the turrets and why they looked half a tick off. When I took the top off i must have put it on half a click off and didn't tighten it all the way. Once I installed the cap correctly the tick marks matched up perfect. Also i found that Athlon includes shims with the scope to use for a zero stop, which is a nice added bonus.

Good description of the scopes, I thought.

Interesting, that Athlon is sending shims now with the Ares, didn't know that.

At our shoot a couple weeks ago my buds windage turned/Argos, in the drag bag which messed up his score of course. For hunting I want locking turrets! Just one less thing to think about.

At our shoot a couple weeks ago my buds windage turned/Argos, in the drag bag which messed up his score of course. For hunting I want locking turrets! Just one less thing to think about.

Athlon is sending shims with the Ares for what?..

No the Ares has a zero stop you can set, which is a really nice solid stop. They are sending shims with the Argos scopes to install under the turret cap for a cheap zero stop.

No the Ares has a zero stop you can set, which is a really nice solid stop. They are sending shims with the Argos scopes to install under the turret cap for a cheap zero stop.

what's the point of that?..

Ares have a brass collar style zero stop with a "cat tail" that engages a set scew that protrudes up from scope body- super easy to set if you have a small flat blade screwdriver and supplied allen wrench

the plastic shim kits are supplied with Argos' now as a shim style zero stop. They are not for Ares scopes!

OP- see my review of a ARES at a ELR match in the big athlon thread. For me- the better glass, 10 mil rev turrets, more adjustment and a great zero stop make it worth the extra, it is in a priepoint between the 500 and 1-1.2k scopes but has the features and execution of a 1-1.2k scope.

Sounds like everyone is saying the ares, and I tend to be leaning that way too. Though it does get me thinking, at that point I am close to a PST gen 2 price. What attracted me to Athlon in the first place was the price point but there a such mixed reviews on them. People seem to either love them or hate them. Being that my nicest scope to date is a nikon prostaff 5, I am not sure I would notice the difference without having the other side by side, but I still want to get the best bang for my buck...

Anarchy Outdoors has a $125 credit on the Ares and $75 on the Helos.

Sounds like everyone is saying the ares, and I tend to be leaning that way too. Though it does get me thinking, at that point I am close to a PST gen 2 price. What attracted me to Athlon in the first place was the price point but there a such mixed reviews on them. People seem to either love them or hate them. Being that my nicest scope to date is a nikon prostaff 5, I am not sure I would notice the difference without having the other side by side, but I still want to get the best bang for my buck...

Huge difference in the turrets between the ARES and the PST Gen 2. If the ARES was around 550$, it wouldn’t be a bad option, but when like new PST Gen 2’s can be found for 850-900$, that’s the route I’d go. To me, the turrets are worth the increase in price, and the glass is slightly better in the PST as well.

I have the Athlon Midas 2.5 to 15 and love this scope. So I ordered the Athlon Ares because I wanted to move up to more magnification. My Midas is every bit as clear as my sons Vortex HST and the reticle on the Athlon is much nicer then the Vortex. All for 400$ less
The turrets are slightly better on the Vortex as they are good solid clicks. But I have never had my turret shift or move so don't see what all the hype is about?
The Ares is always being compared to the vortex PST gen II. I think there is no comparison though. I think the Ares is a better scope and it is 250 to 300 bucks cheaper and it has the same no questions asked warranty that Vortex offers.
I remember ten years ago when people were picking apart the Vortex scopes like some people are doing to the Athlon scopes now. But I feel confident that Athlon is going to be Big in the future judging by what I am seeing from them now
Try one for yourself and I think you will be sold. Great scopes at a working man's price

Reactions: gr8fuldoug

I just wanted to clarify... The Ares does not use shims. It is an actual precision zero stop system. The Argos BTR however, can use a shim kit. Send me a message if anyone is looking for Argos BTR shims in this thread.

Side note: Check out the Midas TAC, capped windage and exposed elevation with a precision zero stop. This is going on my next hunting rifle build.

I found a youtube fix for the mushiness my athlon argos turret clicks. Pop the caps, clean out the cosmoline with alcohol and qtip, and apply Green Snot (a lube used by rc car racers). Viola, instant Viper for half he money. At least it seems to me.
Edit: I'm sorry, it's Green Slime, not snot.

Last edited: