• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ariat vs. Lucchese vs. Tecovas?

Supergus1

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2018
Been wearing Ariat cowboy boots for years 'cause they're the most comfortable off the shelf boots that I've had. I've been looking at Tecovas and Lucchese lately, and I was wondering if anyone has worn either? I know Lucchese boots are expensive and Tecovas are less expensive but still more than Ariat, but if either are more comfortable than Ariat I'll spend the extra $. BTW I've tried Tony Llama and wasn't impressed with the comfort. Y'all have any thoughts?

Lucchese and it's not even close. I wear boots every day and the Luccese are so much better.

I was really disappointed in Tecovas - I guess it's a good bargain but not nearly as comfortable as the Lucceses. My #2 brand is Dan Post but again, would go for the Lucchese any day.

I wear Redwings. Comfortable the day you put them on.

I know we're talking dressboots, but That Right There is how you get drug and stepped on.

NO, not dress boots, lace up work boots. But I dont ride horses...anymore.

Wore Luchese Ropers for many years and were excellent boots. Since I spend more time in the field now I wear White's Packers. My dress boots are JB Hill and the best cowboy boots I have ever worn.

All depends on your foot, and which "last" the manufacturer uses. Personally, I find Ariat the most comfortable. But I try those Lucchese on every time... They just don't fit my feet the same.

Reactions: oldiephrt
I have a pair of Lucchese dress boots but only wear them when I absolutely have to.

I have a pair of lucchese baby caiman boots that I really only wear when going out, there pretty comfortable, I have ariat work boots they have outlasted my redwings that’s I use to wear. I did have a pair of ariat dress boots but the lucchese are more comfortable.

Lucchese and it's not even close. I wear boots every day and the Luccese are so much better.

I was really disappointed in Tecovas - I guess it's a good bargain but not nearly as comfortable as the Lucceses. My #2 brand is Dan Post but again, would go for the Lucchese any day.
I found the opposite to be true for me. $1k on a pair of hand fitted Lucchese and they've been the most uncomfortable boots ever for me. They have sat in their box for the last 8 years unworn. Dan Post works for me too.

Reactions: johnnycat
Tried Luccs and couldn't find any that fit my weird feet... Went to the local Tecovas store and ended up with 2 pair of ostrich that I've been trying to break in. I've tried boots for years and never found any that fit right and refused to have a custom pair built, was happy to find that Tecovas fit me.

Reactions: HiDesertELR
Dress shoes: Allen Edmonds They use a number of lasts. Find one that's comfortable and stick with it.

Hunting & Field: Hoffmans What's generally called a PAC but I've worn them in a 100 degrees with comfort. Mine have all had LaCrosse bottoms no longer available. Treat the tops with Sno-Seal and they're as water proof as anything other than a rubber boot.

Cowboy Boots: The answer has already been given and it's Olathe and then there's Olathe. One of the two oldest boot makers still in business in the U.S. They were made in Olathe Kansas until the early 21st C. They were bought by the company that also owns Rios of Mercedes the other oldest boot maker. I've have four pair of the Olathes. The first pair I outgrew (old feet start to get bigger) but never wore out. That pair spent years on asphalt and concrete and I never wore out the neolite soles but did wear through the rubber heel caps. They were essentially a roper with a saddle vamp and a heel shelf for a spur. The second pair were what they now call tall tops. I wore these for years horseback and the quality is unbelievable. They've been in foot deep mud plenty. Wash them off with a hose at the end of the day. Put them on the next day and back to work. Mine are all from the time they were still in Kansas but the current production looks the same.

If you pick up an Olathe boot just the weight will tell you the quality of materials used.

All three of these makers will rebuild their foot ware.

Reactions: Frank Warren
Anderson Bean.
If you want real deal, feedlot tough, Beck's is the way to go. They'll send you the kit to fit to your feet, and custom options are only limited to your budget.

Wilson of Montana makes a good semi custom made boot, you see them lot in Wyo.

All depends on your foot, and which "last" the manufacturer uses. Personally, I find Ariat the most comfortable. But I try those Lucchese on every time... They just don't fit my feet the same.

Great post - because it does seem to matter what shape the lasts are. Lucchese fits me well. My brother and a business partner just don't fit the Lucchesse lasts, but both do really well with Dan Post.

Someone mentioned JB Hill - I have a pair of those that are super dressy and only worn when the situation calls for it (which is not often) and they are great.

I assume for this discussion we are really only talking production type "off the shelf" boots, because you could certainly go Paul Bond in Nogales, AZ but most people aren't going to spend that cash for boots. I did once and I must say they fit like a glove but I just didn't find them cost-effective.

Reactions: stefan73
My everyday go to are Ariats and I have two pair of Justin dress boots. I'm one of those guys with somewhat differently sized feet( my left is just a bit wider) My wife has a similar problem due to some arthritis in her one foot. A few years ago we bought an adjustable boot stretcher that has a long shaft and comes with different sized rounded "buttons" that you can position in various holes in the wooden "last" that will stretch out any stress points. Works best if you also use it with a spray that helps flex the leather a bit. Was a great investment, you can almost make an off the shelf boat feel like a custom.

The last shape is generally determined by the heel hieght the customer wants, and to a lesser degree the toe width. Not trying to start an y drama BUT, a lot of people will buy off the shelf boots that feel good when new, but after they're broke in they're too big. Or the opposite, after 6 month of wear you look at your foot but can't see the welt of the boot and you have 2 inches of boot in front of your toe, you bought the wrong size. Too big and too narrow. Off the shelf boots you don't see a lot of size choice as far as the width. Sorry for the long winded bullshit.

I loved my first pair of Ariats, but this last pair broke down in less than 5 years of daily wear.

They were retired and this thread showed up at the right time. Taking notes.👍

Lucchese...

Ive got 4 pairs right now... They just FIT...

A year and a half ago my old man was shopping for boots for my wife and I's wedding. He said he tried on at least 100 pairs of boots from all manufacturers(he shopped for them for like 2 months so I dont doubt his 100 pair number). He tried on a few pairs of Lucchese and always said the fit was THE BEST of any of them, but he didnt want to buy a $300-$500 pair of boots since he wasnt sure he would wear them beyond our wedding. He finally plunked down the money and he wears them to work on Friday's since its jeans day.

Ive got a pair of something else I wear to work because I have to wear ropers with no stitching on the toe. I have a pair of Lucchese ropers I wore for about 2 years, but they are a 9" shaft boot and I dont like 9" shafts. They need a rebuild which is $125... I decided before spending that I would look elsewhere and I found a pair of 11" ropers at Boot Barn on sale($350 boot for $175) that fit well so I bought them. So my 9" ropers are the only pair of Lucchese that I dont like, and its nothing to do with how they fit or the quality, just I dont like a 9" shaft on my boots since my pant legs of my dress pants at work fall into the boot when you sit and then you get up and you look like a retard with your pant leg half in your boots...

I haven't owned and worn a pair of shoes since '67, when I was in grade school. I got a pair of cowboy boots along with school clothes at the beginning of every school year. Tony Llama was the most popular boot back then but a pair of Acmes were the some of the best boots I owned back then and stood up to tromping all over the rocky Texas Hill Country, the seasonal deer blood and barnyard horse p*ss, which eats leather boots like battery acid.

Later, I got a pair of Larry Mahans to go to a wedding when they first came out that were the some of the toughest dress/every day/work boots I ever owned. Ten years later they were still sitting in the garage, beat to hell but proudly ready for service. I looked at LM later and saw they got bought by some big country and weren't the same quality boot.

I have a pair of Luccheses that I bought when I had to go to an award ceremony to receive an award and didn't want to be a poor but they're made of goat hide and goat doesn't stretch or conform like cowhide and they've always been too narrow for my EE foot.

Lucchese is obviously in a league of its own.

I have a pair of Tecovas however and they are excellent. Especially for being sub $500

Last edited:
Reactions: TexPatriot
Lucchese is obviously in a league of it's own.

I have a pair of Tecovas however and they are excellent. Especially for being sub $500

If I can ask, did you buy online or in person?

If online, was the fit what you ordered or run big / small?

Also, which boot?
Thx.

I have the Dillon caiman in pecan. I ordered them online in size 13 and they have fit great. Did not really run big or small.

I believe their return policy is no questions asked if it's a sizing issue. To clarify I went with the 'average' width option

If I can ask, did you buy online or in person?

If online, was the fit what you ordered or run big / small?

Also, which boot?
Thx.

I know you didn't ask me but I'll give my opinion anyway 😄. I thought Tecovas fit just like my Allen Edmonds, same size. I've got a weird foot and wear 11 in athletic shoes and hiking boots, but 9 1/2 in dress shoes and cowboy boots. I was glad there's a local store for me in Oklahoma City for me to try before purchase.

I know you didn't ask me but I'll give my opinion anyway 😄. I thought Tecovas fit just like my Allen Edmonds, same size. I've got a weird foot and wear 11 in athletic shoes and hiking boots, but 9 1/2 in dress shoes and cowboy boots. I was glad there's a local store for me in Oklahoma City for me to try before purchase.
I wear a 10 EE in Danner FTX and Georgia slip on. We have a store in Austin and I'm going to buy FTF.

Another vote for Lucchese here, have had same pair for 20 years now. I wear them around quite a bit, not as a work boot, but on my feet most of the time i am not at work.

Fun fact, Schwarzenegger owns over 50 pairs of Lucchese if that tells you anything

Great post - because it does seem to matter what shape the lasts are. Lucchese fits me well. My brother and a business partner just don't fit the Lucchesse lasts, but both do really well with Dan Post.

Someone mentioned JB Hill - I have a pair of those that are super dressy and only worn when the situation calls for it (which is not often) and they are great.

I assume for this discussion we are really only talking production type "off the shelf" boots, because you could certainly go Paul Bond in Nogales, AZ but most people aren't going to spend that cash for boots. I did once and I must say they fit like a glove but I just didn't find them cost-effective.
Yep off the shelf. Lucchese is probably at my max budget. Although I love my Ariats, which I wear daily, I would like something a little snazzier for dress.

I appreciate all the responses. Y'all really gave me a lot of options; never heard of some of the brands. I'll have to look into them.

^^^This

I wear cowboy boots a lot and have tried many brands but there is nothing like Lucchese both for comfort and workmanship

Get some made by Beck Boots in Amarillo, TX. You've never owned a pair of boots until you owned custom boots made to fit your foot. They will send you a sizing kit for free.

20201004_235229.jpg

I have 2 pairs of Luchesse boots, they are nice but there is really no comparison.

Last edited:
A fugly nanny that bangs beats a hot wife that doesn’t.
I know we're talking dressboots, but That Right There is how you get drug and stepped on.
Falling off is how you get drug and stepped on. While my preference is a good pair of ropers for the task, I’ve ridden horses in lace up hunting boots, and sneakers. Keep your ass in the saddle.

I have weird shaped feet, no arch, narrow heel, b width, size 13. I’d be fit for a custom boot before buying off the shelf, if I were looking for an all day comfortable boot.

I think now is a great time to buy domestic and keep an American at work.

I just bought a pair of Thorogood lace ups. Very impressed so far. Have walked out of three pair of Double H pull on work boots as well. Usually the chemicals get the leather before the soles wear out in my industry.

For dress boots, Rios get my money.

Oh, and fuck China.

Reactions: stefan73