• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Arizona 6A advice?

mark42quin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
Edgewood, NM
Got a buddy I am taggin along with on a rifle bull hunt in Arizonas 6A... Anyone got any guidance?

thanks!

Re: Arizona 6A advice?

Depends on when the hunt is. Plenty of big bulls in 6A.

Best advise that I can give is to scout alot just before the hunt. They will be rutting in early September so you'll hear and see alot of bulls. After the rut, they will be very hard to find.

Scouting too far ahead of your season will not help much because the elk move seasonally.

cool... thanks, I noticed there were tons of roads through the area.... Any favorite areas?

Depends on the hunt, lots of folks call 6a the meat locker because there are a lot of elk there. But those hunts have a lot of hunters. I recommend scouting and finding a few bulls you would take and than getting there early to secure a nice camp site to work from. The first day or two should be good but after that 6a animals get ran all over creation. It is not uncommon to see them tongues hanging out from how hard they get pushed. Don't be afraid to hike away from main areas to find big bulls that haven't been pushed around by hunters. Also, you probably know that AZ bull tags are hard to come by so have your friend be selective and get a nice one
smile.gif
... I haven't drawn a tag in 9 years and I am a resident.

thanks gents... I will consider all the advice... i noticed lots of roads in the area? Where's a good place to hike away from "people" the first couple days???

thanks!

cedar flat is always a good area to start looking lots of canyons running off it