• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arken EP5 vs Vortex Venom 5-25x56

FunkyMonky

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2022
Dallas, Texas
  • What is the platform for the scope? Tikka CTR 24”
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 CM
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Mainly wanting to spend time with teenage son plinking paper and steel
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Range and occasional deer hunt but most deer are under 350 yds
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? This is a new gun set up, previously 243 up to 800 meters
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, MIL, windage reticle tree - previous scope was a Nikon BDC and it was limiting
  • What is the price range you can afford? Looking at $400-500

I would like to get your first person experience with these two optics. Please don’t reference a YT promoter. I just bought a Tikka CTR 24” 6.5CM. I plan to use it for paper and steel plinking for fun. I may use it for Texas Whitetail hunting, but it will be from a blind not stalking, so weight will not be an issue and max distance likely 350 yards during hunt. Really just wanting an excuse to spend time with my teenager. I see some features on EP5 that are closer to Strike Eagle, but SE is more expensive than Venom and EP5 (illuminated retical). Looking for $400 - $500 range. How big of a deal is the illuminated retical for once a year hunting? Read some parallax issues for EP5 - how big of a deal in real world for you mainly under 500 meters? What is your personal experience with these two scopes - Venom and EP5?

• What is the platform for the scope? Tikka CTR 24”
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 CM
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Mainly wanting to spend time with teenage son plinking paper and steel
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Range and occasional deer hunt but most deer are under 350 yds
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? This is a new gun set up, previously 243 up to 800 meters
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, MIL, windage reticle tree - previous scope was a Nikon BDC and it was limiting
  • What is the price range you can afford? Looking at $400-500

I would like to get your first person experience with these two optics. Please don’t reference a YT promoter. I just bought a Tikka CTR 24” 6.5CM. I plan to use it for paper and steel plinking for fun. I may use it for Texas Whitetail hunting, but it will be from a blind not stalking, so weight will not be an issue and max distance likely 350 yards during hunt. Really just wanting an excuse to spend time with my teenager. I see some features on EP5 that are closer to Strike Eagle, but SE is more expensive than Venom and EP5 (illuminated retical). Looking for $400 - $500 range. How big of a deal is the illuminated retical for once a year hunting? Read some parallax issues for EP5 - how big of a deal in real world for you mainly under 500 meters? What is your personal experience with these two scopes - Venom and EP5?
My suggestion is get the Arken EP5… The glass is better, the turrets are more robust, the scope is built like a tank, the reticle is nice, and Arken offers a precision tracking guarantee, whereas Vortex does not.

I have a Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C, and an Arken EP5…

The Venom isn’t even as good as the Strike Eagle, so I’d avoid that one all together.

Of the SE versus the EP5… The EP5 has better glass, that is comparable to the PST II 5-25x50 ($1,000 MSRP).

As for the parallax thing… Majority of people don’t understand how parallax (or their scopes) really works. There are basic points, but everyone’s eyes are different, so if you don’t have 20/20, and the exact same eyes as the person who set the parallax measurement numbers, then your parallax is almost guaranteed to not be 100% dead-on the numbers. None of mine match my eyes, and that includes some really high-end scopes. The numbers are just to get you a rough estimate for the yardage…Not an exacting adjustment for everyone’s eyes. Also, the conditions you’re shooting in will affect your parallax adjustment. Some days, with certain scopes, I have to Jack the parallax up to 350-400 yards, when I’m only shooting at 200…Because I have an astigmatism, and it’s very easy to stress my eyes now. I can’t continuously glass all day, like I used to.

Reactions: rauchman

The Venom isn’t even as good as the Strike Eagle, so I’d avoid that one all together.

Of the SE versus the EP5… The EP5 has better glass, that is comparable to the PST II 5-25x50 ($1,000 MSRP).

As for the parallax thing… Majority of people don’t understand how parallax (or their scopes) really works. There are basic points, but everyone’s eyes are different, so if you don’t have 20/20, and the exact same eyes as the person who set the parallax measurement numbers, then your parallax is almost guaranteed to not be 100% dead-on the numbers. None of mine match my eyes, and that includes some really high-end scopes. The numbers are just to get you a rough estimate for the yardage…Not an exacting adjustment for everyone’s eyes. Also, the conditions you’re shooting in will affect your parallax adjustment. Some days, with certain scopes, I have to Jack the parallax up to 350-400 yards, when I’m only shooting at 200…Because I have an astigmatism, and it’s very easy to stress my eyes now. I can’t continuously glass all day, like I used to.
Thank you - that is helpful. in looking at Arken’s package. They offer a rigid precision mount with a 20 MOA built in. The Tikka I’m ordering already has a flat rail that I prefer not remove. In our last trip to the long range, our scope ran out of elevation adjustment and we had to use hold over with a BDC, not ideal. The 20 MOA built in the mount was intriguing. With the EP5, would the 20 MOA be helpful? This scope will be going on a different gun using 7.5CM.

Thank you - that is helpful. in looking at Arken’s package. They offer a rigid precision mount with a 20 MOA built in. The Tikka I’m ordering already has a flat rail that I prefer not remove. In our last trip to the long range, our scope ran out of elevation adjustment and we had to use hold over with a BDC, not ideal. The 20 MOA built in the mount was intriguing. With the EP5, would the 20 MOA be helpful? This scope will be going on a different gun using 7.5CM.
Don't order the pack with the Rigid Precision Mount... Order the pack with the Medium height HALO rings. And if you need to, buy a different scope base for your rifle that has 20MOA built into it.

Trust me, this scope has PLENTY of adjustment. The MIL version has like 31 MILs of adjustment is roughly 110" of vertical adjustment. That should take you a LONG way with a 6.5CM. Especially if you add a 20MOA scope base onto it.

This is what I would say, as well. Arken is biting on better scopes trousers, and I would not think to compare the Venom to the EP5.

Reactions: FuhQ