• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Arken Optics vs Vortex Strike Eagle vs SWFA HD 10x, etc.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
Ok so I've got a couple of rifles to scope. One is a Tikka .223 Varmint and the other is a Howa heavy barreled .308. They are currently wearing the little Bushnell 3200 10x40 scopes. Realistically I'll be banging steel out to 600 yards. I have a buddy with 900 yards that I shoot with as well. Who knows, I may even make a match one day. I'm not a serious competitor but I like accurate, functional rifle/scope combinations that won't break the bank. Tracking is really paramount. I hunt occasionally as well.

I'm a bit leery of Arken, sounds too good to be true. I've had Vortex products in the past. Mostly older Viper stuff but was pleased. The SWFA HD has really good reviews. I'm thinking these choices can be had for under $700 used, maybe a good deal under. I'd like to stay in that price range if possible. Anything else I should consider, other options? Thanks.

If you are willing to pony up the dinero, this is impossible to beat from a quality, bang for your buck deal:

if your avatar is authentic, you likely qualify for expertvoice.
Bushnell, Burris, Vortex, Sightmark, Athlon and others have a presence there. Selection can be limited, but the prices are excellent.
The Vortex Strike eagle and Athlon Midas Tac 5-25 are well within your budget there. The midas tac is about 100 more or so.
Arken has been working hard to provide during the pandemic, all reports are that they are stand up guys.

I have the non HD Swfa ss 10X with the side parallax adjustment. I have tested it on a jig and it tracks perfect. I have used it in several matches with good results out to 500 yards on six inch steel.

Reactions: libertyman777
If you are willing to pony up the dinero, this is impossible to beat from a quality, bang for your buck deal:
Thanks. I will look into it.

if your avatar is authentic, you likely qualify for expertvoice.
It's legit. 3rd RTBn H Company PISC. Graduated 20 Nov 1985. Nothing fancy, just did my 4. What is "expert voice"?

I have an Arken 4-14 on my 22-250 works great. I zeroed it once and haven’t touched it simce. I never did test the tracking on it but I’ve shot to 500 with it and it tracks right with the ballistic computer. +- a tenth. this rifle gets beat to shit too. I wanted a cheap truck gun for coyotes, skunks, etc.

Semper Fi Devil Dog!
I have the new Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 and have no complaints. Clear optics, plenty of relief, good solid "clicks" in adjustment, zero stop, illumination and of course the Vortex warranty.
Try AA Optics , great service and discounts for LEO and service members.

Thanks. I will look into it.

It's legit. 3rd RTBn H Company PISC. Graduated 20 Nov 1985. Nothing fancy, just did my 4. What is "expert voice"?

Arken punches above its weight class because it’s a new company and they are working out The kinks so they are selling at a small discount. That being said the scope feels solid and they’ll stand by it. Only issue is you may have a wait because demand is high depending on the model. I do believe you’ll be getting a bit more scope than you are paying for. ....A Bit. No you will not be getting 3x the scope at 1/3 the price.
Reviews on the Strike Eagle are good. But dont believe any of those statements about getting a “$1000 scope in a $700 package” Every reviewer likes to say this or that scope is as good as the next tier up. In today’s market most of the major players are pretty solid on their price points and you get exactly what you pay for comparable with others in the same bracket. If you want something that works as well as a $1000 or $2000 scope then buy a $1000 or$2000 scope.
Back to the Arken. You may be saving $100-$200 compared to others on the market. You won’t be getting a Nightforce quality scope with a $700 price tag. At the $700 price point you are buying Chinese scopes. At least with Vortex you are buying from a company that has enough weight behind it to insure whatever product they bring to market should perform to its potential. Arken is probably not there yet with manufacturing But I do believe they are working hard at it. And so far the EP4 SHR I just put on my sons rifle has done the job and I’m happy with it. Will it hold up? Only range time will tell. If you happen to Look at an Arken EP4 with the EPR reticle, make sure it’s the newer model with the larger center dot. The first version had a dot so small it was impossible to see on anything but a white target. The first one I had also had a parallax turret so stiff it took a gorilla to turn it. To Arken’s credit, Michael the owner took it back no questions asked and sent me a different version (SHR) which is spot on.
Personally at the same price point I would look into Athlon. You are close to getting into a Ares BTR Gen 2 which is indeed a decent scope for the money at $800. I haven’t compared it side by side with the Strike Eagle but it’s worth investigating. The Gen 1 Ares BTRs are selling for about $625 and are a bargain. Turrets are not as crisp on the Gen 1 as the Gen 2. The Athlon warranty is also excellent. I dropped a gun off the bench and had some issues With parallax after that. Mailed it in and two weeks later a brand new scope was in the mail. No questions asked.
My lessons in bargain scopes.... you pretty much get exactly what you pay for provided you are sticking with the major manufacturers. I’ve run my course with them and I’m moving on to the next tier up with my next build. As long as you don’t look through your buddies Razor, Nightforce, Kahles, S&B you’ll be happy with whatever you end up with.

Last edited: